The grand canyon lodge was built in 1928 and designed by stanley underwood. (the same architect at yosemite) Do to a fire much of the original structure was burned . What you see today was re-built in 1936. Today The lodge serves as the central gathering place for all north rim visitors. Unlike its more popular cousin the south rim, this is the only lodging available (with the campground exception).
Accomodations here at the lodge very from basic motel rooms to a family cabin. Cabins are mostly located on the left side of the lodge spread around ponderosa pines with paved walkways throughout the complex. All cabins have a duplex design Where you share a common wall with one other cabin. The difference in class of cabin is its size and location. The best cabins are the western cabins with a full canyon view. (note only a few have a view) They come with 2 queen beds,electric fireplace,full bath,changing/desk area,small fridge,table and two chairs. There was a small clothes hanging rack with iron/board. As part of its laid back charm no ac or tv are in any of the rooms. the front porch with its two rocking chairs is a good place to people and nature watch.
The cabin has an electric heater (fireplace is on a timer 3hrs max) that works just fine. We had plenty of hot water and the presure was enough. soaps here are in dispensers mounted on the wall (instead of the small disposabe ones) The only setback is the walls are paper thin and if you have noisy neighbors.you can here every last thing.
The lodge- At its center contains the check in desk,dinning hall, lecture hall, and the wonderful patio/observation deck. To its sides you will find a fine deli,gift store, and saloon. This lodge is the only one built right on the rim of the canyon. This makes it special for viewing on its porch area. Even better at night they make a fire in the outdoor fireplace.
The parking- This can be a slight turnoff. You can drive your car to the front of the hotel but must park in the parking lot. This can be a little bit of a walk to your cabin for some folks.good news is the walkway is paved so you can roll your suitcases. There is also a drop off and loading area here where you will find the vending and ice machines.
The restaurant. This large dinning hall is impressive to see and eat in. The food was suprisingly good and tasteful. Pricing is what i would expect for its location. The downfall here is wait you will most likely encounter to get a table (even with a reservation) The problem is there are much more people than tables or staff to wait on them. Prime times between 5 and 7 just after sunset, the lobby is overrun with people coming in to eat. This is the only place to get a sit down dinner . Long wait times can happen quickly. We had a reservation for 6.30 pm and showed up on time only to be tolled there were 8 tables ahead of us. should be an hour. Ahhhhh Hungry we decided to eat at the deli and get pizza instead.
One way to avoid this , is to pre-order a pizza from the phone in your room (they will deliver it to you). Or you can try to eat early or late.
the area here is just simply amazing. I enjoyed the trails just outside the lodge doors. The viewpoints here are fantastic. they have gardrails so no worries. The best part is you can see everything without having to wait your turn like that on the south rim. Sometimes you got the trail almost to yourself.
In conclusion i would most definetly stay here again. Peaceful relaxing and of course the view. enjoy....................
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The more remote North Rim offers up its beauty and solitude to those willing to make a little longer trek to cooler temperatures and greener vegetation of the Grand Canyon's less visited rim. Time means little here in this Nirvana for nature lovers…abundant forest beauty and wrap-around scenic splendor as sheer walls hold in the Colorado River a mile below. The only developed lodging within the National Park’s North Rim boundaries this historic treasure has cabins and lodging tucked into the trees and dotting the canyon edge. The historic dining room with wall to ceiling windows gives diners the unique opportunity to take in the Canyon's views and tasteful regional and sustainable delights for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Reservations are recommended. For guests seeking a unique remembrance of their visit to this special place, there is a gift store and convenience store located at the North Rim. Authentic Native American handcrafts, jewelry and merchandise that is U.S.A. made by local and regional artists provide an array of gift items for guests to the Grand Canyon. Smell the pines, listen to the fluttering leaves of quaking aspen, and keep an eye out for a California condor, the largest bird in North America. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is only open from mid May to mid October. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim Hotel Grand Canyon National Park
- Canyon Grand Lodge North Rim