“The motel is run down they need to upgrade it.”

Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We decided to stay 1 night all they had was a motel room. We got a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the woods which was good. But the bed was terrible after a long day of hiking. When we got there it was around 2:00 pm our room was not ready so we decided to eat there in the main dining room. They were still serving lunch and we were starving after the long drive in from Bryce Canyon. They had a buffet with sandwich fixings and 2 kinds of soup and salad and fruit so we decided to try it. I was good but not worth the price around $15.00 a plate, The views are great but you need to have the best beds to back it up. People expect great beds with the best bathrooms and food with the views. I bet our bed was around 15ys old what a shame I would have to say we will not be back its on the been there done that list..

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I have never been in this era after having visited many different parks, North Rim Grand Canyon is well worth the drive, over looking the magnificent view from the Lodge and surrounding walks(Hikes) some a bit scary, but well remembered . Cabin was fine, should be better luminated at night, even though it was close to the lodge and we arrived during the the, we still had a hard time finding our cabin.

Room Tip: Western cabin have the best view. We did not have a chance to reserve any of those cabins in time to...
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I loved the north rim of the Grand Canyon, no crowds and a different aspect to this immense canyon. A totally different experience to the south rim. However, the cabins at North Rim lodge were basic, cobweb ridden - I understand they are in woodland therefore we may share our cabin with the odd spider, I did have a shock at seeing a mouse! Reported this to reception and the maintenance guy came and put down traps, one caught while we ate in the Lodge, the second during the night.. Walls so thin could hear neighbour and vice versa - the very low point was the food, we had booked a table prior to our visit, still had a 40 minute wait with no apology, customers sat eating in coats as it was so cold but windows in restaurant open! You'd think the staff would have noticed this. Staff seemed weary and had couldn't care less attitude, food was so mediocre, bland and tasteless it was a real shame. Only time on this USA trip I've wanted not to leave a tip it was that bad! Would I stay here again? No.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hikingheidi85
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We recently stayed one night in a Western Cabin and it was perfect. It was close to the Lodge and a two minute walk to the rim. The only improvement would have been to have a rim cabin from where you could watch the sun rise over the canyon, coffee in hand, relaxing in your own comfortable rocking chair. The room was spacious (two queen beds, desk, table and chairs, dressing nook and full bath), clean and amenities such as shampoo, conditioner, soap and hair dryer provided, which I wasn't expecting (I thought this was going to be more "rustic"). The scenery was breathtaking, and the whole experience made even more enjoyable by the fact the crowds seem to prefer the south rim. While making my room reservation in July, on the recommendation of the reservation agent I made dinner reservations for the night of our stay on Sept. 27. We had no problems, but it's worth double-checking your reservation if it was made months in advance - others arrived to find their name was not on the list. The next closest lodging was at least 30 minutes away - I would highly advise planning any trip to the north rim around being able to stay in lodging in the park.

Room Tip: Stay in a "rim" view western cabin if you can - but just about anything cabin is only a mi...
1  Thank NKL2010
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Stunning. Can't believe some of the rubbish people write about the simple things in life, and a flashback to another era...yes is a long drive through desert, forest and meadows but at the end is a natural wonderland of what America is about. North Rim presents the experience of a beautiful American lodge 30 's style, stunning views, great service and a restaurant that I couldn't fault, given the numbers it caters for, I had a beautifully cooked steak, but America generally does the best steaks anywhere.
North Rim, is what it is, remote, with one lodge done the American way. Not many other parts of the world could claim to run a lodge as well with a natural wonder on its doorstep. Yes, there are let downs, like the cafe/deli. The restaurant is the go, your on holidays. Just book on arrival. Other reviewers commented about limited food options.

The cabins are just log cabins, and rim side is not a canyon view, but there is enough literature on the forums calling this out. You'll wake up just before dawn as fellow cabin dwellers rise, making their way in the dark to the Lodge (100 to 200 metres away) to watch the sunrise. I stayed in the cot, was tempted, but snore land took hold with a long drive to LV in mind.

Didn't see the camping ground, so no comment there.

If thinking of a long self drive to the North Rim, go and enjoy what America does best...presenting things on a Grand Scale...and oh the drive off the 8000 ft plateau down through the desert with no name (I forgot), via Springdale (Desert Pearl Inn/Zion National Park) is worth it to. I'll be back.....when USA opens its doors again.....Don't try to find something that it can't be...otherwise stay in Las Vegas.

Room Tip: As soon as you arrive book a reservation in the restaurant, but don't worry about dining at suns...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Killa44
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We made reservations for 2 nights, 16 months in advance, for what was to be the centerpiece of a 3 week tour of Colorado, Arizona, and Utah. Even though it was just my wife and I, we took a "rim side" Pioneer Cabin. I had visions of sitting and looking at the Grand Canyon, just taking in it's majesty. The cabin was supposed to be able to handle 5, but again, I wanted "rim side". While 5 human beings could fit inside the cabin, if each had one piece of luggage, there would be no room left. The one queen bed was shoved up against a wall, under a window, making access from one side only,(or the foot of the bed). It also meant the window and drapes were not easily opened or closed. The same was true of the bunk beds - they were pushed up against a window in the second room, making the window impossible to open or close. I can easily handle rustic, but the cabin was dirty, and we found a previous guest's undergarments hanging over the arm of the couch/futon. But the biggest misrepresentation was "rim side". What you can see is Transept Canyon, technically part of the Grand Canyon, but NOT THE Grand Canyon - additionally, the trees and underbrush are so thick one can see only snippets of a view. the Lodge as whole is a joke. The dining is fine as long as you like tasteless, overpriced food, served by nonchalant servers. The second night we just ordered a pizza from the deli. There are no rooms in the lodge, just freestanding cabins, and motel units. If you were lucky enough to snag the best parking spot, and the closest cabin, you would be at least 50 yards from your car, so you have to schlep you bags 50 to 100 yards to your accommodations no matter where you stay. We were told that no porter was available, since a large tour bus had just arrived, so we were on our own. There is no Wi-Fi in the cabins or in the lodge, only at the general store 2 miles away in the campground - seems campers are more in tune with this century than people who stay in the lodge. We hiked, and sat on the terrace of the lodge, enjoyed the Canyon, but if you only have one chance to see the Grand Canyon -and everyone should see it once in their lifetime, see it from the South Rim.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank S R
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My Husband and I were there a week ago and my lord................. what an experience....! the Log Cabins are Rural, but Very clean and well catered for with toiletries, fridge and heater and gas fire....., cosy beds and porch with rocking chairs... Yes we had views of the trees but beyond those trees you could see the Canyon in all it's! and just a TINY few steps to the Rim...??? Some People!!!!! :/ The Lodge it's self was amazing, Lounge, Sun deck and Restaurant with the most amazing views!!! I am not easily pleased but this place moved me and we booked an extra night... If you are planning to go there, pay the little extra and upgrade to a good cabin and just Take it for what it is.............. A Wonder Of The World!!!!! ....... All of those who did not appreciate it, :/ Shame on you for not looking further ........!!! LOVED IT AND WILL RETURN ASAP!!!!!!!

4  Thank Steven B
Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
#1 of 3 in Grand Canyon National Park

Been to Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim? Share your experiences!