“Stay was comfortable”

Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed in a Cabin for 2 nights while in the North Rim Grand Canyon, Because the Lodge was booked out, The Cabin was ideal for me It had two double beds and the only thing in the room that did not work was a lamp which was no big deal because the main light worked and everything else in the Cabin worked fine. Plus my Cabin was very close to where one of the hiking trails started, Also only a 5 min. walk to the lodge, The Cabin was clean and tidy had what I wanted for 2 nights had a drink vending machine about 2 meters from my Cabin..

The Lodge Restaurant was a bit pricey but not many places to eat at the North Rim They did have 2 places right outside the lodge but there opening & Closing hours made it a bit hard so I did not eat at the 2 places outside the Lodge. Had my first dinner at the lodge Restaurant and my second dinner I went to place that you have to book at the lodge where a train on wheels comes and picks you up outside of the Lodge and takes you for a 15 min. ride to a all you can eat dinner and show the food was great and the show was not bad either..

My tips for your food is to walk to the general store which is just past the camping area and get your hiking food or food in general from there as it is a reasonable priced store !!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Traveller69692013

995 - 1,001 of 2,301 reviews

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I traveled with our daughter, son-in-law, and our three grandchildren to the North Rim and stayed in two deluxe western cabins on June 11th and 12th of June, 2014.These cabins were reserved a year in advance. We had stayed in Western cabins when the Lodge was managed by Xanterra. I remembered the Western cabins as being rustic but clean. This trip was a different story. I never expected such neglect or so many things to be broken. When we checked in, the desk clerk informed us that we had been upgraded to a rim view. That sounded fine to us but soon found out that only one cabin was upgraded. I had reserved a duplex cabin which has two connecting rooms, but Forever Resorts now had us in completely different unconnected cabins. They apologized and offered us cabins close a very busy, noisy area which we declined because those cabins were near an area where tour buses loaded people on and off during the day. My husband, granddaughters, and I stayed in cabin 333. My daughter's family stayed in 339. What we found in our cabin surprised us. The bathroom doors are made out of wood. The previous guest had evidently forced the bathroom door open and had broken the lock, splintered the wood all around the lock, and left the door hanging at an angle. That door was not working at all. It would not open or close. We also noticed one of the lamps was broken leaving wires exposed. Several light bulbs were out in the dressing area and the lotion and soap dispensers were also broken. We called the front desk and a maintenance person was sent. By this time it was 9:30 at night. He had to scrape the wood door to get it to close, and he fixed the broken hinges. He also fixed the lamp. The next evening we tried to use the fireplace. It also was broken and did not ignite when we set the timer for 15 minutes. My daughter was in our room at the time and smelled gas. My husband turned the gas off and we opened all the windows. We informed the desk of the problem. We decided we didn't want a repeat visit from maintenance so late at night. The next day when we checked out I gave the assistant manager a list of everything that was broken in cabin 333. He thanked me and said this was the only way the company would know there was anything wrong with the room. I was surprised and asked if housekeeping shouldn't inform someone of the condition of the room when it is cleaned for the next guest. He said that wouldn't work because housekeeping only cleans rooms. My daughter suggested using a checklist as a way to make sure a room would be ready. The assistant manager said that would not work either. He did offer to knock $25 off my bill which was insulting and showed how much he cared about our experience at the hotel. He finally offered to give us one night free. We are so disappointed with Forever Resorts. This company has no idea how to manage this lodge. No guest should have such an abundance of problems during their stay. It is obvious that the quality of that lodge is going to suffer as long as it is run by people who have no idea what they are doing.

Room Tip: Inspect your cabin as soon as you check in and report condition of room to desk if not acceptable.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Kathy P
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed in a western rim cabin with an uninterrupted view of the canyon. 2 beds, bathroom, fridge, indoor seating area and verandah with 2 rockers. Rustic, but perfect with high vaulted ceiling. Large stone fireplace which must be great for cool nights. Nights here are cooler than elsewhere on our trip so be prepared and bring a fleece.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a cabin with a rim view, this may be extra, but worth it. Otherwise you may be...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kerry M
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We were on a National Parks tour after falling in love with the South Rim two years ago. North Rim was one of our first destinations so our hopes were high. North Rim is managed by "Forever" resort services, vs. South Rim is managed by Xanterra. BIG DIFFERENCE!!
We very much enjoyed the locale and beauty, but our lodge cabin was very snug, and with a wall shared by our neighbor , it almost felt like a camping expedition. Bed linens slipped-slided all night. The food experience was---how can I say this delicately--pretty awful!!! Ten days later and I still feel a bit nauseous when I think of the soggy, $$ 'breakfast burrito'--no oatmeal or other options unless you eat in the pricy main dining room!
We did enjoy the pretty hikes around the North Rim, and the BBQ Chuck Wagon supper and entertainment were worth it (we thought).
Wish Xanterra managed North Rim--they do a superior job than services offered through Forever Resorts.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KnitCatFit
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Spent two days in paradise. High lite was the sunset and the cookout. Great food and entertainment. I was too fat to ride the mules, so I walked the trails with the kids. Worked up a manly appetite and rode the cookout train to the "all you could eat buffett". ( I know they lost money on me), kids under five eat free, so i considered this the best deal. The show featured a couple from Nashville who sang, told jokes, and did a little magic. The kids loved it and so did I. The food was great and we made it back for the sunset.

Room Tip: What a spectacular view. Courteous and friendly staff. The hiking trails are beautiful. Our family w...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jane c
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is best placed lodging option in whole Grand Canyon park with sweeping vistas of the canyon, a visitor center at walking distance and a deli, bar, restaurant and coffee shop under its hood. We were there for 4th of July and they had a very nice parade and water gun fight. The hotel had prepared fresh watermelons for all visitors. The patio at this location has chairs where you can enjoy your meal in the tranquility of the north rim and enjoy the vistas.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shreyk21
Reviewed 10 July 2014

While the lodge itself is set in one of the most beautiful places in the world, pay close attention to double, or triple charges if you book, then cancel to upgrade to a better cabin (room).

The accounting manager was very sorry and fixed the fraudulent charge after I made four calls to fix this error.

I would have mistakenly paid this fraudulent charge had I not checked my credit card statement and spent hours getting it cleared up.

This charging practice would not have been caught by the Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim staff. You have to.

So, I question how many other travelers have had this happen to them?

You have been warned.

Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
#1 of 3 in Grand Canyon National Park

Been to Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim? Share your experiences!