“Great vacation place but bring your own food!”

Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
“Great vacation place but bring your own food!”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

The food selection was minimal. That is the only bad thing I have to say about the lodge. The main restaurant takes reservations and I guess I must be slow but I couldn't get a dinner reservation for before 8:30pm. The other option is pizza by the slice or sandwiches at the deli or saloon. I recommend hitting the general store in the campground for food and drinks because it is much cheaper than at the lodge. Anyway, all of the rest was glorious. My wife and I rented a car and drove in from Vegas. The trails are awesome and the scenery is devine. Two nights were enough though. Happy trails!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thekeithman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 16 July 2014

booking a cabin at the north rim of the grand canyon, n my mind, meant rustic. wow, was i wrong! we had a pioneer cabin, 2 bedrooms. everything has been thought out for the small-ish space. heaters n the bathrm, hooks, outlets, fridge, etc. we stayed for 2 nites & were mega satisfied. all the amenities of a 5 star hotel n a stunning nature environment. no wifi or tv. wifi is available down the road 1 mile at the campground coffee shop, quite adequate. breakfast was not included but served n a lovely dining rm & very tasty. the views & the trails, all right there, were amazing. service was superb.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rhubarb07666
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Only had the one night due to late booking (6 months ago!) but we loved every minute of it. Spectacular drive in, amazing main lodge, and fantastic uninterrupted views. Food in the lodge was surprisingly excellent and it was amazing to be able to grab a beer and watch the sunset from the balcony. Not crowded, and the night sky full of stars was something to behold (better than Bryce, as no traffic headlamps).

Our "hut" was small and dark but perfectly adequate given you spend most of the time outdoors. Ranger talks were great, especially the condor presentation.

Can't wait to go again!

1 Thank roos1ter
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We booked motel type accommodation(charming and rustic) for 2 nights because there was nothing else left but I was not at all disappointed. It was in a quiet area with a bench outside and within minutes walking to the impressive grand lodge, deli and visitor services where we dined in the evening and ate breakfast as we took in the panoramic views.

Room Tip: My first option was a cabin but fully booked but having experienced the motel type lodging I see no...
1 Thank trek50
San Diego, California, Usa
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Here's the deal. You are going to the Grand Canyon for the experience. The views and atmosphere are nothing short of spectacular. There are plenty of photo ops, and places to just sit down and stare out at some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever see. You can hike down into the canyon, or take a couple of flat and easy trails along the rim. I have been to the Southern Rim years ago, and didn't care for the crowds, but you won't have that problem here.
Anybody going to this lodge should be prepared for a few things. First of all, its in the middle of nowhere. The closest, decent sized town is several hours away. Bring a cooler for cold drinks, snacks, first-aid kit, etc. There is no wifi, no tv. My wife and I brought board games to play in the main room at the lodge, because our cabin was too confining, which brings me to my next point.
People should understand that these cabins are made for sleeping and showering.When I booked the cabin, the agent insisted that a Frontier Cabin was all that I needed for the two of us. The Frontier Cabin is a small room with even a smaller bathroom. I mean, its small. Two people under 5'8" and 150ibs will find the twin bed comfortable. My wife and I are the type of people who make the best of everything. It didn't damper our mood or lower our spirits, but if I could have done it over I would have taken the biggest cabin they had, Western Cabin I think its called. Those cabins have a porch with rocking chairs. Very nice. The cabin was clean and basic. The peace and quiet was very relaxing.
The lodge itself was great. It sits on the edge of the canyon with seating both indoor and outdoor. Views Views Views! Several lookouts run along the base of the lodge that are easy to get to. The restaurant was nice, good food and friendly service. There is also a little café, book store, gift shop, and saloon that does coffee and light breakfast food in the morning.
Here is my only complaint. Parking. I wish the lodge would emphasize that the parking lot is separated from the cabins. You park, and then lug all of your luggage to the cabin, which if you are a family, can be somewhat of an ordeal. They have a little shuttle that can pick up your luggage and bring it to the cabin, but at one point I heard several families complaining that they were waiting for a long time for that service.
Overall, I would go back there again. The weather was crystal clear for the duration of our stay, but a ranger told us that storms zip through the canyon that take your breath away. I hope to see that next time.

Room Tip: I would avoid the Frontier Cabins if you require a little space and comfort
4 Thank Clifford G
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed in a Cabin for 2 nights while in the North Rim Grand Canyon, Because the Lodge was booked out, The Cabin was ideal for me It had two double beds and the only thing in the room that did not work was a lamp which was no big deal because the main light worked and everything else in the Cabin worked fine. Plus my Cabin was very close to where one of the hiking trails started, Also only a 5 min. walk to the lodge, The Cabin was clean and tidy had what I wanted for 2 nights had a drink vending machine about 2 meters from my Cabin..

The Lodge Restaurant was a bit pricey but not many places to eat at the North Rim They did have 2 places right outside the lodge but there opening & Closing hours made it a bit hard so I did not eat at the 2 places outside the Lodge. Had my first dinner at the lodge Restaurant and my second dinner I went to place that you have to book at the lodge where a train on wheels comes and picks you up outside of the Lodge and takes you for a 15 min. ride to a all you can eat dinner and show the food was great and the show was not bad either..

My tips for your food is to walk to the general store which is just past the camping area and get your hiking food or food in general from there as it is a reasonable priced store !!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Traveller69692013
Helotes, Texas
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I traveled with our daughter, son-in-law, and our three grandchildren to the North Rim and stayed in two deluxe western cabins on June 11th and 12th of June, 2014.These cabins were reserved a year in advance. We had stayed in Western cabins when the Lodge was managed by Xanterra. I remembered the Western cabins as being rustic but clean. This trip was a different story. I never expected such neglect or so many things to be broken. When we checked in, the desk clerk informed us that we had been upgraded to a rim view. That sounded fine to us but soon found out that only one cabin was upgraded. I had reserved a duplex cabin which has two connecting rooms, but Forever Resorts now had us in completely different unconnected cabins. They apologized and offered us cabins close a very busy, noisy area which we declined because those cabins were near an area where tour buses loaded people on and off during the day. My husband, granddaughters, and I stayed in cabin 333. My daughter's family stayed in 339. What we found in our cabin surprised us. The bathroom doors are made out of wood. The previous guest had evidently forced the bathroom door open and had broken the lock, splintered the wood all around the lock, and left the door hanging at an angle. That door was not working at all. It would not open or close. We also noticed one of the lamps was broken leaving wires exposed. Several light bulbs were out in the dressing area and the lotion and soap dispensers were also broken. We called the front desk and a maintenance person was sent. By this time it was 9:30 at night. He had to scrape the wood door to get it to close, and he fixed the broken hinges. He also fixed the lamp. The next evening we tried to use the fireplace. It also was broken and did not ignite when we set the timer for 15 minutes. My daughter was in our room at the time and smelled gas. My husband turned the gas off and we opened all the windows. We informed the desk of the problem. We decided we didn't want a repeat visit from maintenance so late at night. The next day when we checked out I gave the assistant manager a list of everything that was broken in cabin 333. He thanked me and said this was the only way the company would know there was anything wrong with the room. I was surprised and asked if housekeeping shouldn't inform someone of the condition of the room when it is cleaned for the next guest. He said that wouldn't work because housekeeping only cleans rooms. My daughter suggested using a checklist as a way to make sure a room would be ready. The assistant manager said that would not work either. He did offer to knock $25 off my bill which was insulting and showed how much he cared about our experience at the hotel. He finally offered to give us one night free. We are so disappointed with Forever Resorts. This company has no idea how to manage this lodge. No guest should have such an abundance of problems during their stay. It is obvious that the quality of that lodge is going to suffer as long as it is run by people who have no idea what they are doing.

Room Tip: Inspect your cabin as soon as you check in and report condition of room to desk if not acceptable.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
#1 of 3 in Grand Canyon National Park

Been to Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim? Share your experiences!