“Beautiful setting.”

Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Beautiful setting.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I loved it here. Sitting right on the edge of the North Rim watching the sun set - bliss! We stayed at the motel as the cabins were all booked up and it was absolutely fine. Clean, quiet and a nice balcony to sit out and watch the stars. The rooms are quite basic but have everything you need. Only a short walk to the main building, the most amazing views and walks and a peaceful atmosphere overall. The restaurant had fairly good food and the most beautiful view. I would say the service was a bit odd - our waiter kept trying to 'sell' us drinks and food and deserts, a bit like a car salesman, which got quite annoying when we just wanted to enjoy our meal and the surroundings. The service at the coffee shop was pretty bad - I think more help is needed there. We waited over half an hour for two coffees to go. Apart from that, I would definitely return here if I got the chance and happily stay at the motel or cabins.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

It's hard to book in this lodge if you don't book early. Room is very clean. Mattress is firm. Bedsheet and pillows are clean and new. We had a buffet breakfast and we enjoyed it very much. Service is great! We try their PIzza in the Deli Store. Wow, best pizza ever! Don't know how they do it but it is delicious. We are so glad to book in this lodge. Very convenient to walk around and appreciate God-given nature.

Woodbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

First - I would like to address some of the items listed in the complaints I saw-
1. No WiFi / cell service - you need to realize that this lodge IS in the middle of a huge no-where in a national park. Not much around for miles and miles and miles and miles. literally. They get 12 feet of snow in the winter and are closed road and all- thats how far into no where. I found it a blessing to have no service for a few days. Many of the parks have no wifi or cell service. The room had a phone and the call we made to the other side of the country was free.
2. Service - we found the service friendly and check in went smoothly. So what if they use paper and pencils - the system works. Remember - these people drive for a few hours each way just to get to work - and people are people. Dealing with the public is often times difficult at best. This isn't a 5-star in NYC. Everyone has a bad day now and then.
3. No TV - do you really need it? Bring a deck of cards. On a rainy day it would be nice - but not really necessary - at least in my opinion.
4. The cabins - I can't say for the east side pioneer or frontier cabins - they did look small - but they are a historical site - and trying to keep within that.
5. No A/C - well we were there during peak heat and rain season - end of July - and didn't need it. It got warm during the day - mid 80's but not humid - and it was very cool at night. Open the windows and you'll be fine.

That being said - we were in a western cabin which was in my opinion nice. But my expectations tend to be in line with where I am. I know the North rim is tourist and in the middle of no where so more expensive is expected. It was rustic - and in my opinion could be compared to camping without a tent. Again - expected. The room was clean, and had two queen beds. It had a separate room with a desk, Mirror, mini-fridge and coffee maker. The bathroom was clean - consisted of the toilet, pedestal sink and tub with shower. I really liked the soap/shampoo dispensers - less waste. So many hotels give you individual soap bars that are used a few times and the rest thrown away. I'm going to recommend to other hotels they do the same. Towels were nice. It had a small table and two chairs along with another desk in the bedroom area. It also had a working gas fireplace. The price was on the high side - at $195 per night - but when the average cost of a Hampton is $150 a night - not totally out of line. Again - the distance supplies need to travel to get there makes it more expensive. The cabin had a porch with two rockers that we used. We requested a rim view - which we had. To those who complained about the view being blocked by trees - remember - this is in a national park - and ponderosa pine forest. There is going to be a lot of trees. I thought the view from the cabin - despite the trees - was beautiful - and you can't beat the fresh ponderosa smell! The western cabins are two per unit - as are, apparently, the others. Separated with a locked door. We didn't notice noise from the adjoining unit - not sure if it was occupied though. Not unlike camping - you can hear those at neighboring cabins easily.
I will admit that the pathways and building numbers aren't easily navigated at first - but we figured it out ok. You do have to park a bit away from the lodge - but the 1/4 mile walk was no different than trucking through parking lots and long hotel hallways.

We had dinner in the lodge - and found the food satisfactory and the service acceptable even though a bit slow. Don't expect a meal from a NYC top chef and you will be fine.

The North Rim itself I find much nicer than the overly crowded South Rim. We took advantage of some of the lesser used hiking trails and it was peaceful and enjoyable. On the longer trails we found we encountered about a dozen other people max. The popular driving points were more crowded as we're the paved "trails". Easy car access tends to see people doing the "drive by" sight seeing. If you like to hike - take advantage of it. It's like you have the place to your self. And we saw a lot of wildlife that driving tours would never see.

The limited choices for food were the only negative - but understandable. Food prices expensive - but expected. There was a saloon with pastries coffee and etc in the morning ( the sell out FAST - you need to be the early bird) a deli and the main restaurant. If you walked or drove a couple of miles the campground had a general store. Which BTW had limited wifi access if you really found yourself needing that fix.

Overall we enjoyed the North Rim immensely and would recommend it over South Rim any day. But it's all in what you expect and what your perceptions are. Some people just expect more than others. If you can't live without your cell phone or TV, and fancy hotel rooms then this likely wont be an enjoyable place for you to stay. Being an outdoorsy family - it suited us perfect. The canyon is amazing - and the fresh air can't be beat.

Oh - and if you don't have any qualms about looking silly - put your nose right up to the ponderosa pine bark and take a long slow deep sniff. They smell like vanilla :) Happy vacationing !

Room Tip: I recommend the western cabins - and book as far in advance as possible. One night deposit is requi...
3 Thank Diana F
Haverhill, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Really this review cannot separate out the fact that if you are staying here - it is because you are at the North RIm of the Grand Canyon and the Grand Canyon Lodge is the ONLY place available to stay. I actually booked a year in advance in order to get a rim view. Because with my husband and 2 kids we had 4 people total, we had to book a "side canyon" view in an older Pioneer Cabin instead of one of the newer Western Cabins. There is a third type of cabin, I can't recall the name. But in my opinion we "lucked out" with our pioneer cabin. It was totally charming. It is apparent that all the pioneer cabins used to be much more "pioneer" - they used to be 2 cabins stuck back to back (sharing the bathroom in the middle, I think), but it seems now they've changed them to be just one unit with 2 rooms and a 3/4 bathroom. (they have not removed the room numbers, so each cabin actually has 2 room numbers and 2 separate keys if you want to use either door). In our cabin we had one queen size bed in one room, and the other room had bunk beds and a couch/futon that you could use if you had more people (that would make for very little floor space - but good if you needed it). There was a small shower stall and the bathroom is small - but it is just great that they have retrofitted these places to have any plumbing at all ! The rooms are dark, because they are essentially dark log cabins - but really - who is sitting much in their cabins when all the glory of the Grand Canyon is right outside? If you are that kind of person, don't even bother going there. There are no televisions (good) and wifi did not work in our room (also good). Our cabin had a fantastic view, but I think some rim cabins might still be obscured by trees. Book early for a better view. I liked the pioneer cabin views because there are not people walking by on paths right in front of your cabin - the Western cabins have better views but no privacy due to all the people walking by on the trails that go right in front of the cabins. I could see where some people might have a problem with the windows in the pioneer cabins. I saw a picture posted by an unhappy reviewer where they had a tisue box holding up the window. The windows in our pioneer cabin were NOT these type of windows, so I don't know if different cabins have different windows. Our windows were actually casement windows that swung out, and it just so happened that they used the exact hardware that we have on some windows in our own home. I think if I had not had these windows at home myself, I probably would have had a very hard time figuring out how to open the window. Not to mention that the mechanism itself was very hard to reach, even if you did know what you are doing. Some of the windows also seemed to be falling apart due to their age I think. But they were still fine for us. There is no air conditioning, so I imagine it can be a little stuffy on the hotter days, but there were overhead fans in each room and by evening it had cooled off quite sufficiently for sleeping. It is true there are not a ton of outlets - as is to be expected. If you have only one thing to plug in you can probably unplug the clock, but if you have more than that I would recommend traveling with an extension chord or two (who doesn't these days?). Someone complained that their outlets sparked whenever anything was plugged in - we did not experience such a thing, and my daughters had a ton of technology that they were recharging - from phones to kindles to notebooks to ipods - no overloads for us. It is true the paths are a bit steep - if you have mobility issues you may not want to stay in the pioneer cabins but otherwise it is nothing to worry about (you don't have to be a hiker or anything). The room also had a small fridge, which happily surprised us. The layout of the room numbers is a bit unusual - there is not a real pattern - but they will give you a map to follow to initially find your room. (If for some reason you get lost easily and can't follow a map then maybe there is a reason to worry, but I just though the layout added to the charm. I can't imagine why some people complained about it.) I did feel bad for some cabins that seemed to be near a septic smell. We saw the pumper come, but then the smell just seemed to move to another area. So I don't know if they are having major septic problems or were just late pumping or what. We did find it not pleasant to walk by that area - but it only took less than a minute to walk by. If I had been in a cabin near it, though, I think I would have been mad. Again - if you book early and are near the rim I don't think you'll have a problem. The "side rim" view is not perfect, but it is very nice and for the price of a regular hotel room you are getting a million dollar view. We actually traveled to Zion, North Rim and South Rim of the Grand Canyon and soon learned that all three of these parks do not sell bottled water. Even better - they offer FREE great tasting spring water - just bring your own water bottle. I had expected to pay a fortune for water on this "desert" vacation - but all this great tasting water was free. If you forget your bottle you can buy one in the gift shop, but if you have one you like you may as well bring it along. We did have a problem with the ice - they have ice machines but it seems rude guests use it to fill coolers. I wish they would put a sign that the ice is not for coolers. However, a quick ride up the street, near the campground, is a little convenience store and you can always buy yourself some ice there if needed. Also the cafeteria has fountain drinks with ice, if you want to go that route. We didn't try the main restaurant as it seemed to expensive for us, but the cafeteria was just fine and the people serving us there were very friendly. Parking is a bit of a pain - there is one large lot and you will likely not be anywhere near where your cabin or room is - so best to have luggage with wheels because you will be lugging it a little distance. All in all it is impossible to separate this lodge from the experience of the canyon itself, as you must stay here unless you are camping. My kids loved the pioneer cabin and so did I. If you are the type to not like the rustic nature, I have to question why you are even making the long drive to the North Rim itself, because you are not likely to enjoy it. Just stay at the more easily accessible and commercial South Rim and you'll probably be happier. For my family, this was an amazing experience.

Room Tip: Book far in advance to get the rooms with a view. There are 3 types of cabins and then the lodge it...
Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank JuneConway
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed in one of the cabins and loved it! No T.V. But such a homey cabin.
The north rim is very quiet, greatest balcony to watch sunsets and just all day views. Stayed 3 nights, stay more if you can. So many hikes, and not crowded at all. We will go back again for sure.

Room Tip: Cabins are great!
Woodstock, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Yes, it is small. Yes, it is quaint. But, it is clean and has a private bathroom with a shower. There is no TV. There is no telephone. But, you came to see the majesty of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon - and it is majestic! Be sure to get up early for the sunrise. It was at 5:23 AM and we were not the only early risers to see this awesome scene displayed first on the horizon then splashed among the canyon walls. This is a wonderful country and we are grateful to be able to enjoy it's beauty.

Room Tip: All cabins are basic and you will remember it forever.
1 Thank Joe R
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Cute cabin - since we are a family of six, we need to have two cabins. Unfortunately, it is not possible to have all the kids in one room so we had share with one of our children, which is not ideal in terms of privacy. We were not allowed either to take three room (one cabin and a half) because kids under a certain age must be under parental supervision. The room is cute yet a bit dark. The historical part of the lodge is amazingly beautiful. Great views on the park.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the main paths - several people wake up early to hike before the heat strikes...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Canyon National Park
Maswik Lodge
Maswik Lodge
#3 of 3 in Grand Canyon National Park
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,763 reviews

Been to Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim? Share your experiences!