We have stayed in many National Park cabins in the past so our expectations were not high. If you go in that frame of mind and accept that what you get is relatively poor value for money in terms of accommodation then the experience of staying in such a wonderful place outweighs the negatives. Our room was typical of park cabins, on the small side but clean and adequate for two nights. As with any park cabin your enjoyment is only as good as to how quiet the people are in the adjoining cabin! You can hear every word and footstep. We were relatively lucky in that our neighbours had a six year old boy who slept through the night until 6am, not sure how I would cope if they'd had a small baby. I realise that this is something that you have to contend with in a place like this but it would be nice if the establishment put up a notice in all rooms reminding people to act more quietly than they would normally do. It's difficult to balance the needs of families with young children and exhausted hikers when the walls are paper thin.
The restaurant in the dining room has the most fantastic view in the world. We watched the sun set over the Grand Canyon whilst enjoying a very nice meal with wine. The dining room has a touch of class and the food is a bit different to the steak and chips offered by so many restaurants. Although slightly more expensive than the norm we were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't excessive, considering how far it has to be transported. The buffet breakfast was very good but there is an alternative menu for those who just want pancakes etc.
Overall we would stay here again just for the experience of being right on the rim of the Grand Canyon plus it's much quieter and less manic than the South Rim.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The more remote North Rim offers up its beauty and solitude to those willing to make a little longer trek to cooler temperatures and greener vegetation of the Grand Canyon's less visited rim. Time means little here in this Nirvana for nature lovers…abundant forest beauty and wrap-around scenic splendor as sheer walls hold in the Colorado River a mile below. The only developed lodging within the National Park’s North Rim boundaries this historic treasure has cabins and lodging tucked into the trees and dotting the canyon edge. The historic dining room with wall to ceiling windows gives diners the unique opportunity to take in the Canyon's views and tasteful regional and sustainable delights for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Reservations are recommended. For guests seeking a unique remembrance of their visit to this special place, there is a gift store and convenience store located at the North Rim. Authentic Native American handcrafts, jewelry and merchandise that is U.S.A. made by local and regional artists provide an array of gift items for guests to the Grand Canyon. Smell the pines, listen to the fluttering leaves of quaking aspen, and keep an eye out for a California condor, the largest bird in North America. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is only open from mid May to mid October. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelsClick, Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim Hotel Grand Canyon National Park
- Canyon Grand Lodge North Rim