“Adequate National Park accomodation”

Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim
Reviewed 23 July 2010

We have stayed in many National Park cabins in the past so our expectations were not high. If you go in that frame of mind and accept that what you get is relatively poor value for money in terms of accommodation then the experience of staying in such a wonderful place outweighs the negatives. Our room was typical of park cabins, on the small side but clean and adequate for two nights. As with any park cabin your enjoyment is only as good as to how quiet the people are in the adjoining cabin! You can hear every word and footstep. We were relatively lucky in that our neighbours had a six year old boy who slept through the night until 6am, not sure how I would cope if they'd had a small baby. I realise that this is something that you have to contend with in a place like this but it would be nice if the establishment put up a notice in all rooms reminding people to act more quietly than they would normally do. It's difficult to balance the needs of families with young children and exhausted hikers when the walls are paper thin.

The restaurant in the dining room has the most fantastic view in the world. We watched the sun set over the Grand Canyon whilst enjoying a very nice meal with wine. The dining room has a touch of class and the food is a bit different to the steak and chips offered by so many restaurants. Although slightly more expensive than the norm we were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't excessive, considering how far it has to be transported. The buffet breakfast was very good but there is an alternative menu for those who just want pancakes etc.

Overall we would stay here again just for the experience of being right on the rim of the Grand Canyon plus it's much quieter and less manic than the South Rim.

2  Thank Hampshire_TravelHog

Reviewed 16 July 2010

We stayed at the North Rim's Grand Canyon Lodge, during the 4th of July weekend, and it was magical! We didn't begin planning our trip until March, so I wasn't able to book the recommended year in advance, but I strongly advise everyone to continue to check the website daily (I did several times a day!). I initially had to book outside the park (and I lost $25 doing this!) then was able to get two motel rooms (there were 4 of us so two different rooms were needed), two rustic cabins, one pioneer cabin, and finally ended up with a rim-view western cabin for one night! We had cabin #306 for the first night, and the view was spectacular! I think this may have been the very best cabin there! We then moved to a standard-view western cabin for our second night and our things were moved for us as we hiked. This cabin was fine, but a bit of a let-down after the views of the first. I’m very glad that we were able to stay in the Western cabins, as they are closer to the lodge and have the porch. There have been comments about mice in the cabins, and I will say that in spite of being very careful to NOT bring in food, we did hear something rustling around but we never did find anything, and it didn’t last long. I supply this information only for those of you that are a bit squeamish, because I wanted to be honest. I read reviews about this, and forum discussions before we left, so I was prepared mentally. It in no way affected my stay or my sleep. The lodge itself is nice. The food is so-so, every staff member we encountered was pleasant, but let’s face it; you’re there for the best views on Earth, and that is what makes this trip so memorable!
As I mentioned, it was the fourth of July, and for obvious reasons, there were no fireworks, but the lodge did have a parade and an enormous water gun battle for the kids (and kids at heart) – don’t worry, there were designated “dry” areas. Further, we spent the night of the 4th on the deck of the lodge looking through a telescope and seeing Saturn with her rings, and because of the isolation and altitude, we could see more stars than we have ever seen except for Bryce Canyon, UT. We could actually see the arm of the Milky Way! (Yes, my inner-nerd was in heaven!) I think it was the most memorable 4th of July I have ever had.
Bottom line? If you want to experience the most awesome, breathtaking views on the entire planet, and you don’t mind the extreme isolation (for me that was a bonus!), you are comfortable in modest-yet-clean accommodations with a chance of a close-encounter with native fauna, this is a must-do-before-you-die experience! If not, please stay away, and leave more room for the rest of us!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Ali3pt14
Reviewed 15 July 2010

We booked 11 1/2 months in advance and got a Frontier cabin near the lodge and near the canyon rim. We were two couples, each staying in one side of the cabin. Each unit had two beds and a sitting area. There was a nice bath and separate dressing area/closet complete with large mirror, plus a small refrigerator. Cabins had a gas fireplace, plus a heater. This was wonderful to take the chill off...in the early morning or evening. Front desk service was efficient, though the mid-afternoon line was long! Lodge dining was fun for a time or two, but we also ate at the deli-type restaurant on site; picked up a delicious yogurt and cereal cup to have for breakfast (which we could conveniently store in our fridge). Service throughout the resort was excellent; all the staff were ready and willing to go the extra mile. Immensely enjoyed our stay. Recommend drive to Cape Royal and a walk along an easy paved path to wonderful views at Angels Window.

• Stayed: June 2010
2  Thank kathy
Reviewed 15 July 2010

Upon making a reservation for this hotel, well in my case a Pioneer Cabin I was told there were Air Conditioning units in each cabin. However driving up to the parking lot, by the look of upon windows it didn't look promising. Sure enough, it's HOT inside. But, at about 10pm it feels comfortable but still hot to some. The shower leaked inside and the twin bunked beds were worse than sleeping on the floor. But the queen bed in the cabin was worth paying for. And don't mention about the double. It's a sofa that you pull onto the floor. But, if you think it's worth sacrificing for which I did, you get rewarded from all the sights you see.

2  Thank TravelerManDan
Reviewed 14 July 2010

My wife and I stayed here in a Frontier cabin for 1 night in early July. As you probably know, there are very limited lodging options on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. In essence, this is it - the Grand Canyon Lodge, although it should be noted that there aren't actually any rooms to stay at in the lodge building.
Our cabin (213) like most of the cabins was a duplex (i.e. another room was part of the same cabin building). Inside the cabins are fairly small and fairly basic (no tv, no wifi, no a/c). However the room was comfortable enough and seemed clean. The bathroom was a little dark, but again was clean and sufficient for our needs.
The cabins (there are 3 different styles in 3 different price bands) are dotted around the lodge, the shops, and various service buildings. None of the cabins really has a good canyon view, although we noticed a couple that were certainly better located than others. A couple of the more expensive ones with porches and rocking chairs looked like they might have partial canyon views between the pine trees.
The lodge is a classic park lodge from the 1930's. We didn't dine there, instead we opted to get food from the deli/cafe next door (it was cheaper and quicker, but perhaps most importantly you could take that food and sit out on the deck of the lodge to admire the view while eating).
The north rim views from the trails and even the lodge are certainly breath-taking. While the services and accommodation at the lodge are perhaps not of a high standard, they are perfectly fine. Most importantly, I think the lodge, the cabins, and the various other buildings that serve the tourists do a good job of blending in with the scenery and not detracting from the natural beauty. After all, a trip to the north rim is really all about the scenery and not about fine dining or spa hotels.

2  Thank Westby
Reviewed 13 July 2010

If you were going to the north rim to enjoy the scenery and solitude, why would you choose to stay 30+ miles away? The Lodge is the only way to go if you want to enjoy the scenery and majesty of the Grand Canyon. Pack a bag but leave the attitude at home

Granted the Pioneer cabins are more than 70 years old, but the benefits of sleeping there far outweigh the challenges if you approach it with the correct mindset. Where else can you walk out the front door of your cottage and stand at the precipice of one of nature’s most astonishing accomplishments? We had read about the lack of protection from the noises of neighbors – we brought earplugs. We were aware of the absence of televisions – we brought books and flashlights. We knew that the bathrooms only offered showers not tubs – we dealt with it. Personally, my cell got better reception at GC than it did in Zion. We would have liked a small fan to move air inside the cabin at night, but the temps dropped into the upper 50’s overnight, which feels pretty good when you are from Florida so we slept with the windows open. The check-in procedure was slow, but each guest got the same level of attentive service, and you get to enjoy that magnificent view while you wait.

The housekeeping department could definitely use some customer service training in quality control and timing, but that’s why “Do Not Disturb” signs were created. I don’t excuse the spotty housekeeping service, but took it in stride as part of our “roughing it” experience. If my cabin wasn’t cleaned by 4:00pm, the maid’s tip went back into my pocket. However, there is no excuse for bags of dirty linens and garbage lying on the ground outside of cabins for more than a day. This is something management needs to address.

We found the food in the main dining room to be spotty in quality. Late dinner was particularly disappointing, but lunch was fine. The Breakfast Buffet could have been the same food as any moderate hotel buffet anywhere in America, but you tend to overlook that detail with the view the dining room affords. We never got around to trying the deli, but coffee and a toasted bagel from the saloon every morning sent us out with a good start. The cowboy cookout was amusing as a low-key affair held in a nondescript generic tent located in the campground. Both the brisket and the biscuits were well worth the price of admission – although not being a parent, I was less than impressed by the amount of child involvement in the entertainment.

I owe a big vote of thanks to all the staff members who helped me deal with a camera malfunction. Each person I asked kept referring me to another and another until I finally ended up with a camera wizard who saved us from losing half our trips photos.

Our biggest complaint had to do with what we hope was a situational occurrence. The main drive in front of the hotel was being replaced during our stay, which meant waking every morning to the sound of jackhammers and truck/bulldozer back-up beepers. It was extremely annoying to say the least.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Auntie_C
Reviewed 13 July 2010

Stayed in a frontier log cabin at the North rim in July 2010 for 3 nites.
A little disappointed with the size of the cabin and the lack of clothes storage area space, also the lighting was inadequate. On the plus side the cabin was well located with paved access to the main lodge and all its facilities. The Grand canyon north rim could be seen through the trees. A suggestion to the management is that they put a some seating near the cabins so it would be possible to sit outside and enjoy the wooded environment. The main lodge itself stands proudly on the rim and it encompasses all the facilities really including the compulsory gift shop, dining room and fast food outlet and bar.
The dining facilities were a little underwhelming with the dining room dinners averaging about $100 for dinner with wine for 2 and the fast food outlet about $25
Fantastic views from the lodge with a large viewing areas with seating.
I prefer the south rim facilities as they are more varied with many more view points and lodging choices
However for about $99 plus tax for the basic frontier cabin its ok for a couple of nites, but be aware parking at the north rim is difficult to find especially at mid-day
This accommodation needs to be pre-booked say about 6 months in advance if you want a guaranteed room. I would go back but only for the view and as accommodation on the north rim is very limited , I would upgrade to a rim cabin ,suggest cabin 301 for the best view, but it would cost a lot more

1  Thank drhawk100
Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
#1 of 3 in Grand Canyon National Park

Been to Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim? Share your experiences!