“Crowded but is maintained very well.”

South Rim Visitor Center
Grand Canyon South Rim Jeep Tour with Transport from Tusayan
San Francisco, California
125 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Crowded but is maintained very well.”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Bus system is something to be proud of. The crowds otherwise would be impossible to manage. Well equipped with facilities.

Visited July 2014

86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Okay”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Was a little disappointed they didn't have Indian figurines for sale as wanted one as a souvenir. Other then that it was great.

Visited October 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 234 helpful votes
“Be prepared to use the map as the staff is not very helpful”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I pulled into the parking lot at 7:45 on a Tuesday Morning......the doors to the visitor center opened at 8:00am...no problem...I walked around and was anxious to start my decent down the Bright Angel Trail but was not sure how to get to it. Then I saw the employee come out to put the flag out so I walked up to him and asked about the trailhead. he replied "We open at 8:00....did you look at the map?". I replied I did look at the map but was still unsure where the trailhead was...he reluctantly took the few minutes to explain to me where to go.....the Bright Angel Trailhead is another 2 miles from the center...so I got in my car and drove there......very difficult to find a parking spot but I got lucky as I turned into a driveway for some cabins for rent and on the side of the cabins were about a dozen parking spaces available for hikers! And these spaces were no more than 50 feet from the actual trailhead and bus pick up / drop off. Once my hike was over (9 hours later), I went back to the Visitor Center......not that impressive inside and again, not too friendly workers manning the area. All in all, I feel you will not miss that much if you do not stop at the visitor center.....you can get all your questions answered in a very polite way by asking the individuals at the main gate entrance when you pay your $25 entry fee.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank retiredteacherAZ
Knoxville, Tennessee
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“Where You Start”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The South Rim Visitor Center is the natural place to start your South Rim adventure, but I recommend not lingering there too long and to get out into the park. When I visited, the movie auditorium was closed. With that, the exhibits there were limited, and I found the information at the Yavapai Station better presented and interesting. Be sure to pick up a park newsletter. Since I researched extensively before coming (thanks, Trip Advisor!), I felt fairly well oriented. I think if you have not done as much prep work before arriving, you should spend more time and formulate a "game plan." Based on others' experience, I would just talk to a ranger and discuss what you want to see. They are able to make great recommendations.

The reason why I give the center four stars as opposed to three is just steps outside, there is a magnificent view of the canyon. You walk outside and beyond the center, and you are blown away at what was just a few feet in front of you. It was my first real view of the Grand Canyon, as it is for most. That being said, it can get crowded, especially when a tour bus unloads. However, there seems to be enough space if everyone is considerate.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Mary_Frances_From_TN
Los Angeles, California
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“South Rim Spectacular”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The South Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park is considered less splendid viewing than the remoter North Rim, but is more accessible to travelers by car, tour bus or Railway and certainly not deficient in spectacular views of the breathtaking cliff faces and ridges of this natural wonder, or of silvery glimpses of the winding Colorado River at the Canyon's base.

We accessed it via a Luxury Dome day roundtrip on the Grand Canyon Railway, which afforded us a relaxing, comfortably elegant journey from the historic town of Williams to the Canyon and back, with a quick lunch grabbed at the venerable El Tovar Hotel upon arrival.

Given the timing parameters of the Railway ride, we made a fast trek through the Rim's well-chosen and set-up viewing outposts, aided by the Park Service's vey good complimentary shuttle bus ferrying support. The Canyon vistas are so spectacular you will need to discipline your viewing and photo taking so as to catch your mid-afternoon train return trip on time at the Grand Canyon Depot.

Alternatively, you can minimize your viewing frenzy by lodging overnight at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel or the venerable El Tovar Hotel.

Nature famously speaks for herself at the Grand Canyon, so no more words are required to encourage you to make this incredible visit at least once in your lifetime.

Visited October 2013