“Free, professional, fast/manageable time despite the crowds. The visitor center made our visit so much easier!”

South Rim Visitor Center
Johannesburg
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the Grand Canyon South Rim with our 5 and 7 year old with no idea what to do or where to start. Although this was in July there was ample and close parking spaces available. The rangers were all very friendly and available everywhere and the bus system so easy and convenient with different options available all day all the way till after sunset to roam around the park. Feel free to stay in one bus all the way to the finish or hop on hop off. The lines were not bad at all (not more than 12 minutes). Also the buses go to locations were cars are not allowed. The park has a junior ranger program from 4-12(?) which is quite nice for kids to learn about the park. Well done!

Visited July 2014
2 Thank evelynegomis

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Port Matilda, Pennsylvania
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Crowded vs Mather Point”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We came in June. I've written a review on Mather Point, and this is sort of the reverse image. I hated the crowds. Hated the parking. Not blaming the US Government, you can't really pave some of the Canyon to make more parking. Also hated people's "me first" attitude in a small, very crowded area.

But when you've been in traffic, full of anticipation, for anywhere from hours to days, the Center has bathrooms, water, and Mather Point. All three put you right in the Canyon spirit. Worth a stop. Just have the most patient person in the car drive, drop off everyone else, and start looking for a space.

Visited June 2014
San Francisco, California
125 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Crowded but is maintained very well.”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Bus system is something to be proud of. The crowds otherwise would be impossible to manage. Well equipped with facilities.

Visited July 2014
Newcastle, Australia
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Okay”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Was a little disappointed they didn't have Indian figurines for sale as wanted one as a souvenir. Other then that it was great.

Visited October 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 236 helpful votes
“Be prepared to use the map as the staff is not very helpful”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I pulled into the parking lot at 7:45 on a Tuesday Morning......the doors to the visitor center opened at 8:00am...no problem...I walked around and was anxious to start my decent down the Bright Angel Trail but was not sure how to get to it. Then I saw the employee come out to put the flag out so I walked up to him and asked about the trailhead. he replied "We open at 8:00....did you look at the map?". I replied I did look at the map but was still unsure where the trailhead was...he reluctantly took the few minutes to explain to me where to go.....the Bright Angel Trailhead is another 2 miles from the center...so I got in my car and drove there......very difficult to find a parking spot but I got lucky as I turned into a driveway for some cabins for rent and on the side of the cabins were about a dozen parking spaces available for hikers! And these spaces were no more than 50 feet from the actual trailhead and bus pick up / drop off. Once my hike was over (9 hours later), I went back to the Visitor Center......not that impressive inside and again, not too friendly workers manning the area. All in all, I feel you will not miss that much if you do not stop at the visitor center.....you can get all your questions answered in a very polite way by asking the individuals at the main gate entrance when you pay your $25 entry fee.

Visited June 2014