“You're paying for the view...”
Review of Bright Angel Lodge

Bright Angel Lodge
Scottsdale, Arizona
“You're paying for the view...”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

What can I say, you're not staying there for the amenities....

Rented 2 cabins for an overnight stay. One was a partial view for $40 more. It did have a better location, but I would not have paid the upgrade if they had two of the less expensive cabins available.

The bed is hard as a rock. After a long day of hiking, I hardly slept a bit. If I was going back, I would bring a couple blankets and pillows and try to pad it up to make it more comfy. The BF and I were fighting over the one extra flat pillow all night.

But it's the grand canyon, one of the prettiest places on earth. So choke it up..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed 2 nights at Bright Angel. The area is absolutely gorgeous! You really should stay in the park! The cabin was very comfortable. Step outside your front door and there is the Grand Canyon, what more could you ask for?

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed in a cozy little cabin. Location is perfect. The morning drive to one of the recommended spots of the canyon rim to watch the sunrise was less than 10mins. There are shuttle buses provided though (cars are allowed up to a certain point in summer). Dinner at one of the restaurants was pocket friendly..but just plain and average.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
New Creek, West Virginia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We only stayed 1 night. Checkin was a breeze, our room was perfect (a little dated) but this place is from the early 1900's. Our bathroom was small but complete renovated. Everyone there was extremely nice. The fact that our cabin was right on the rim was absolutely perfect! Walk out the door or look out the window and there it was. Dinner in the Arizona room as meh, breakfast in the cafe was delicious. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a rim view, it is so worth it!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JoAnn M
Acton, Massachusetts
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,678 helpful votes
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I can’t say enough about the Bright Angel Lodge. This was fourth time I had visited the Grand Canyon and second stay at Bright Angel. I wouldn’t consider staying anywhere else in the village.

This year, I reserved a cabin on the rim, however it was without a view. A couple days before arrival, I called and learned of a cancellation, so I managed to upgrade to a cabin with “partial view”. Based on what I saw to be the location of these two cabin categories, I would always choose the more expensive variety for the “view” and closer proximity to the actual rim. Some of the cabins without a view actually overlook the parking lot. I would prefer a normal room in the Bright Angel Lodge for a lot less money than one of those. Besides, last time we stayed at the main lodge, we could see the canyon from a side window.

The partial view cabin that we got this year was far more than partial. We had a full-facing view of the canyon from our bed, directly behind two large screened windows that swung out. It was priceless. In fact, it was perhaps the best hotel room I’ve ever had. No, it wasn’t the most luxurious, but it was the best I could ever imagine. Full facing view, very quaint and comfortable interior, windows on all three sides, two leather chairs with coffee table for reading or watching the Olympics at night, a very comfortable queen bed with foam pillows and large headboard for reading lamp and books, and plenty of lighting, including a nifty adjustable ceiling fan fixture.

The bathroom was amazing. I was expecting run-down, camping style conditions, but this place was better than most of the hotel bathrooms I’ve visited this year. There was a generous size tub, shower with excellent water pressure, pristine vanity, new faucet, and dispensers for green tea-based body wash, shampoo, and conditioner.

Plus, there was baseboard heating that was as silent as a mouse. It kept us warm when it was in the high 20s outside.

The entire village and everything within sixty miles had suffered a once-in-a-decade power failure upon arrival, so check-in was chaotic. We didn’t get our keys until after dinner, but one of the staff got us into our room a couple times, and management compensated us for our trouble.

Unfortunately, Bright Angel doesn’t allow you to reserve a room in advance, only a room type. Not all of the partial view cabins were as ideally situated as ours, but even they would be worth taking, especially if they’re as cozy on the inside. For us, this was an exceptional property, an exceptional room, and an exceptional experience. I don’t think anything could have been better.

Room Tip: Staying in the main lodge is a safer bet than having a cabin with no view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Cherry_Wonderdog
Azusa, California
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I recently stayed at the Bright Angel with three other girls, and we had low expectations about the hotel. Thankfully, we were totally surprised and happy with Bright Angel, especially with the view! When we reserved the room, we were told we would have a shared bath, and I couldn't find one picture of this bath TA or Yelp, so I was a bit afraid, but the bath turned out to be super clean and appeared to be remodeled recently, as did the one in our actual room. The bed was a little hard, but that was fine. The heater worked great, as well as the WIFI. The rooms were seriously on the edge of the canyon! It was so cool to wake up and see the canyon just footsteps away. The staff was friendly, the café was ok, the gift shop was nice. I would recommend this place to anyone. Don't be afraid because of the shared shower and no tv, it was a great place to stay (better than any of the other surrounding places- unless it's El Tovar...that was a beautiful hotel, but a little pricey).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank JJDB1400
Odense, Denmark
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Simple and nice accomodation at a fair price - with a location you can't beat!
We chose this hotel because it allowed us to stay right by the canyon rim without emptying our pockets. Room was comfortable and clean, and we only had a very short stroll to begin exploring the canyon the next day.

A good budget lodge if you would rather explore the area than hang out in your hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 3 in Grand Canyon National Park
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,795 reviews
The Grand Hotel at the Grand Canyon
Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon

Been to Bright Angel Lodge? Share your experiences!