“Great stay overall”

El Tovar Hotel
Media, Pennsylvania
“Great stay overall”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I was excited to return where my parents brought me 30 years ago. It was much as I remembered. My husband couldn't believe the location--he thought it would be close, but not literally right at the rim. We went before our room was ready, but they checked us in and got us started. I booked our room only a few months out--which was surprising and I had to call, not do it online. The room was not disappointing. It was beautiful--large enough to comfortably fit the rollaway for our daughter--and perfectly clean. And bonus, we were guests of the day so had yummy treats waiting! The bed was SO comfortable I was excited to go to sleep! And then...we had the rudest neighbors who kept slamming their door! After two hours, I called the front desk. They assured me security would talk to the neighbors. It happened twice more but then stopped...until 0525. I called again and this time, the implication was I was making it up. Said security had "not heard anything." I was so angry and then heard it again so went out in the hall and sure enough, out they came. He turned when he realized I was standing there. THEN the door slamming stopped. Had I known, I wouldn't have bothered the front desk and would have gone out myself at midnight. We were exhausted the next day. The person at checkout apologized and took off the charge for the rollaway bed. I would really rather have had the problem addressed the first time I called. While I realize this was not the hotel's "fault", I do think they owe it to guests to address the issue promptly and to full satisfaction. Nonetheless, I would go back and it doesn't take away all the positives of visiting this historic and beautiful hotel.

1 Thank Heather S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (705)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Padua, Italy
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is wonderfully located, just on the rim! The staff is nice and helpful, our room was clean and cosy with a big bathroom. There was a very good wifi connection, working also outside the hotel.
We really liked also the hotel restaurant, fresh food well cooked.
Definitely recommended!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rachele_A
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Built in the days when camping and travel was mostly for the newly mobile gentry travelling to the West, it has old world glamour and elegance of the grand railway hotels of 100 years ago. A little worn around the edges, a little tired, the rooms European small, and its on the expensive side, but that's not too high a price to pay to for history, warmth, and absolute charm. No cookie cutter chain resort, El Tovar is unique and worth the visit. If you're going to the Grand Canyon, staying in this lodge makes the trip really special.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
nny
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I know this is a 100 yr old property but it really shows it's age - frayed carpets, doors that don't close, etc.

I suppose after staying at top resorts in Scottsdale & Sedona this hotel is up against some stiff recent memories.

Frankly, the lack of parking for hotel guests is a huge drawback. We were told by the hotel that if we secured a parking spot it was best not to move our car (and we never saw another open spot all weekend). Without a car or bike you are basically in the same boat as every other visitor and there is no advantage staying here.

We had the Zane Grey suite which has partial canyon views but little else.

My advice would be to stay off site and bus in each day - you'll probably save $200-$300/night

3 Thank thousandislands2
California
Reviewed 25 August 2014

El Tovar is the premier lodge in Grand Canyon National Park. The building has a fantastic hunting European hunting lodge feel. The outdoor seating off of the bar has a fabulous view.

The downsides of the El Tovar are that it's quite pricey and the rooms are small (at least my room was). Given the choice, I would have have likely saved a view bucks and stayed at one of the less expensive lodges but El Tovar was all that available. However, I did enjoy my stay. The bed was good, my room was quiet and the wifi was good as well. My only real gripe is that there's no parking area reserved for hotel guests and finding a spot during the day can be tough.

If you are looking for the premier Grand Canyon experience, El Tovar is lodge for you.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank OdinCalifornia
Boston, MA
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Charming, historic hotel overlooking the Grand Canyon. It is by far the nicest property in the park, but note that it is not cheap. Still, the hotel was nice and well-maintained and the food was decent, although somewhat over-priced. The rooms are average, but were clean and charming.

The property feels like an upscale hunting lodge; the grounds, lobby and restaurant are large and lovely. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for travelers willing to pay a bit more to stay at an historic site at the Canyon.

Room Tip: Note that rooms sell out early, so book your room well in advance.
Palm Bay F
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We were able to get only 1 night at the El Tovar right inside the park and delighted with the stay.
This is an historic property with canyon views all around. We had a standard room which was quite small but I expected that. Weighing the advantages of being right in the park the cozy room was fine for 1 night. We had a reservation for the dining room and we were not disappointed. Overall the last night of our 3 days at Grand Canyon was highlighted with our stay at El Tovar.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Canyon Plaza Resort
Canyon Plaza Resort
#5 of 6 in Tusayan
Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon

Been to El Tovar Hotel? Share your experiences!