“Older motels equal bigger rooms -”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Maswik Lodge

Maswik Lodge
aurora, colorado
“Older motels equal bigger rooms -”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I was a little apprehensive booking this motel since it was number 3 of 3 on Tripadvisor, but the other two had no rooms. I was extremely impressed with the size of the room and how clean it was. The bathroom appeared to have been updated, I'm guessing fairly recently. The décor was southwest which isn't exactly my cup of tea, but no big deal. I would say this motel is a good value, especially in January. I would absolutely stay here again and recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cziegler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Brilliant location, we arrived at about 5 pm and maybe we were tired but it is tricky to first find the lodge, once you have it's all good. Rooms okay, we knew it wasn't going to be a 5 star experience but given we paid just over a $100 with taxes, good value. Bed linen was a bit old with a few rips but clean. No problems with heating, we were toasty warm. Meals were fine pizza one night and we all choose something else the following. The slices of pie were yummy! The fridge was old and in the morning our food was frozen! So glad we stayed inside the national park.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Lyndy68
Orange County, California
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This is probably near the cheapest hotel around. Because there is so little to do at night in the area you do spend time in the room (which I normally don't do) so I noted it more than usual. Big room, nice Patio. But really dated. And the bathroom was VERY cold even with the heater on at night. The rooms are all in bungalows seperate from the lobby so we had to walk a few mins, outdoors through the woods to our room. We got a pizza from the restaurant in the main building, good pizza, and enjoyed it on the room playing cards. Bring something to entertain yourself with. Very quiet. But really uncomfortable bed. If you drive there is ample parking right at each bungalow. there is a shuttle stop here, but only about 10 min walk from the start of bright Angel trail. For the price I guess it was OK. But certainly not honeymoon suite worthy. They really need to update. really. Do love that they take care of your bags when you take the train. You leave your bag in the room and it re-appears in Williams and coming it just magically appeared in teh room.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank bubbles911

Travellers are raving about these Grand Canyon National Park hotels

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I recently did an impromptu drive to the Grand Canyon since I want to see the canyon in Winter with snow. I was lucky enough to get a night in Maswik Lodge. From an outer appearance, it looked old but inside it was perfectly neat and clean. The A/c took some time warm up the room but had a good night sleep. The restaurant is just stone throw away and it's a good walk to the west rim dr. Overall, I enjoyed staying here even though it was a short stay.

Room Tip: Try to stay in Cabin style rooms near to the railway tracks
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sgmkjsekar
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed 2 nights here during our Grand Canyon visit. I found the room to be comfortable and spacious. Good water pressure in the shower and I LOVED the lemon grass shampoo, conditioner and body wash they supplied. You could tell the that the beds were not new, but they were not bad- we slept just fine on them, no complaints.
All of the rooms seemed to be within a short walk to the main lodge where the gift shop, cafeteria and pizza pub was. We ate breakfast twice and lunch once in the cafeteria area and for supper one night we had a pizza- and it was great especially after a long day of walking all around and sightseeing. We were able to grab a beer too!
I would stay here again for sure. Slept great and the price was great too!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Bethany O
Arizona
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Just arrived home from a trip to the Grand Canyon and since I didn't have a car this trip, staying at Maswik was most convenient. The shuttle from Phoenix dropped me off at Maswik's lobby. Once at the park it was very easy to use the Park Service shuttles or to schedule a tour bus to reach areas beyond the shuttle routes.

My room was in the White Fir building on the north side of the lodge, and I had a lovely view of the woods and wildlife.The second-floor room was very quiet, clean and comfortable. While I could not access WiFi in the room, it was a short walk to the lobby and food court area where complimentary WiFi access was readily available. I enjoyed a few meals at the food court and Pizza Pub and if I wanted something else, it was a five-minute walk to other dining options at the rim lodges.

Maswik was a great starting point to get where I wanted to go each day, and to return to during the day before heading out again. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful, and enjoyed this home away from home for my six-night stay.

Room Tip: I prefer second-floor rooms, and enjoyed my room in the White Fir building.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank cjs123
Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,020 helpful votes
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I have been to four the different lodging facilities at the Canyon over the years but found this one to be at the bottom of the barrel.

I get that they cater to tourists who come and go but it just seems they could do better.

A rehab of the rooms would help.

The setting is of course hard to beat.

The food is a bit overpriced but you expect that at a National Park.

The staff was slightly above average but honestly not as friendly as I have seen in the Canyon before.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
The Grand Hotel at the Grand Canyon
Canyon Plaza Resort
Canyon Plaza Resort
#5 of 5 in Tusayan

Been to Maswik Lodge? Share your experiences!