“Grand is an understatement...”
Review of Colter Bay Village

Colter Bay Village
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Grand is an understatement when you are talking about the Grand Teton National Park. Wish we were staying for a week to fully enjoy Colter Bay Village but we were driving through on our way from Seattle Washington to Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. It is definitely on my list of places to revisit and I can be very particular about what makes my list. Loved the views of the mountains at the marina and the charming old cabins. Beautiful!!
We travel by RV. Tip: make your reservations early for Summer travel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,179)

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We just checked in today for a stay of three nights in the Colter Bay Tent cabins. Shortly after I checked in I went to the marina to rent a canoe to take my Son out for a few hours on the lake. It was then that my bank informed me my account was negative. Unbeknownst to me Colter Bay had put a charge request in for $347.44. The actual charge should have been around $127.00. When I went back to the tent cabin office I was told by the cashier who had put in the charge that she had no idea why I was charged that amount. I then proceeded to the cabin office to speak to the assistant manager and was told that my bank decided on the charge amount all that they at Colter do is request a deposit. Obviously no bank is going to arbitrarily decide on a charge amount for a company requesting a blank charge amount. After speaking with my bank, they confirmed that in fact Colter Bay had authorized the charge. The assistant manager had another employee speak with my bank and when the bank asked the employee the reference number for the charge the Colter Bay employee could not find it. I asked for the assistant manager again and was told no managers where in, they had all left for a meeting. Its been almost three hours since this error occurred and yet my 10 yr old Son and I sit waiting for a phone call unable to go out on the canoes or do any other activity until this is resolved. Being from Texas this was an expensive trip up here, and three days is a relatively short time and it looks like a half day or a whole day will be wasted waiting on the management of Colter Bay to fix a problem that should have never occurred. I was never given literature explaining I would be charged a $220 deposit, never given a receipt or a valid explanation. While I was in the lobby of the cabin office there was another guest complaining about unauthorized charges as well. One plans on coming here to have a great time enjoying the environment and the activities it has to offer but there is a high probability you will spend your time refuting unauthorized charges! As I was writing this review I received a call from a cabin office representative saying she now had the authorization number and would call my bank. However, this should not have occurred in the first place and I should not be sitting here along side my ten yr old Son waiting to find out if his Dad can take him out on the lake due to an error by Colter Bay. An absolutely horrible arrival here!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Ryan R, Manager at Colter Bay Village, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Firstly, I am sorry for the confusion in regards to your billing issue at Colter Bay Village. I can assure you the accounting issue was corrected that day and I greatly appreciate your feedback. We are constantly striving to make Colter Bay the choice for lodging in Grand Teton National Park.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Our cabin was one of the old original ones from the area, about 100 years old. It was snug but comfortable and the modernized bathroom was simple but adequate and clean. You get a feeling of adventure sleeping here.
There is free wi-fi in the camp office.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank aablodgett
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed in a cabin with two rooms and a bathroom in between. We also had some family up at the tent cabins. The only problem with the cabins is that you can't cook and play outside and so when we go with lots of family in cooler weather and need cabins, we like to put somebody in a tent cabin so we have that opportunity.
When you stay at Colter Bay, you get free access to the Jackson Lake Lodge pool.
The Wi-Fi only works if you go sit in the office.

2  Thank pwells7000
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay at this cabin. Our family rented several cabins and they were all very spacious and accommodated many people comfortably. They were clean enough. Saw a few spiders here and there, but we were out in the wilderness and that was to be expected. The heater warmed the cabin nicely but was very loud. We tried it on highest setting because you got used to the noise if it was constant. Any lower setting and it kept switching on and off waking us up. Eventually, we learned to warm up the cabin before bed and then shut it off while sleeping. The cabin got pretty cold but then we would get up and turn it on high. Having it on high all night was too much heat. Every employee we met was very friendly. The front desk woman went out of her way to help us print up our boarding passes on her computer. The food at the restaurant was delicious, but the service was terrible 2/3 times we ate there. Servers were very slow and uninterested. We had one good server who was exceptional. So plan on breakfast taking a while. Gift shop, gas and grocery store was so nice to have close by.

1  Thank MaryBeth050
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Four of us ate here while visiting the Tetons. The BBQ ribs were tough and rubbery and tasted old (three of us concurred on this) but my wife's steak was okay. The sides were terrible, half-raw baked beans, cole slaw that was extremely vinegary, a salad bar where every container had a tiny bit in it or none left at all. The waitress was curt. By far the worst and most expensive meal I've ever had in a national park. This vendor needs to go!

We ate breakfast here the next morning (it's the only place to eat) and it was decent. Must be a different staff in the morning.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have booked 2 cabins for our group. Cabins were very nice, Grand Teton National park is amazing place... My first communication with the property was perfect. BUT...after comming home I found that my credit card was charged twice for accommodation. Once I paid after booking and they charged me again after check-in.The price for 2 cabins is almost 400€!!!. Staff at the recepcion desk asked my credit card during check in but they told me that it is only for incidental reason. Our stay was perfect without any incitend or accident....11 days left ...and my money are still blocked....what I realy do not understand is that no one from property did not reply to my several emails with the requests for explenation. Does not the property need to communicate with former guests! I am so disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Val06062014
Ryan R, Manager at Colter Bay Village, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you very much for your response and it is my first priority to clear up the billing issues you experienced with our property. I am glad you had a wonderful time and perfect stay while here in Colter Bay and the last thing we want to do is to leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Ryan Rhoadarmer

Jackson Lake Lodge
Jackson Lake Lodge
#4 of 16 in Grand Teton National Park
Headwaters Lodge & Cabins at Flagg Ranch
Headwaters Lodge & Cabins at Fla...
#7 of 16 in Grand Teton National Park
Heart Six Guest Ranch

Been to Colter Bay Village? Share your experiences!