“Humble and Real”

Little Greenbrier School
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I drove up the narrow road with a threatening thunderstorm in tow. I had four teenagers with me who were creeped out about getting stuck in the old school house during the storm. It was very humbling to see and to know that people lived so simply. Because of the storm we didn't hike back to the other cabins. Next time we will. This is a simple place to visit with an old grave yard next to it but a must see for anyone who is interested in history.

1  Thank bethwalden3

Reviewed 3 June 2012

We made a stop at the Little Greenbrier School on our recent trip to the Smokies. Since my kids and husband balked at hiking to it, we drove the road up to it. It's maybe a mile, gravel and winding, fairly narrow. Although the sign says if you meet someone be prepared to back all the way up or down so they can pass, my husband said there were places along the road where two vehicles could pass. We didn't meet anyone coming up or down so didn't need to try out his theory:-). Truthfully, I thought it a much less harrowing drive than Cataloochee. Obviously you probably wouldn't want to take an RV on it. In addition to driving it, you can also hike the road in (there is parking at the start of the road, about three spots) or hike it from Metcalf Bottoms picnic area (looked to be a really easy hike).

The school is rustic. It's amazing to imagine kids attending school here years ago. We were the only ones visiting Little Greenbrier, so it was neat to walk around in the silence and think about days gone by. The cemetery near the school is worth a look too. Lots of old markers, some are just stones sticking out of the ground. Behind the school is a little creek area with a small walking bridge across it (this is the trail to Metcalf Bottoms picnic area). Such a beautiful setting for the school. Bring your camera!

You can also hike to the Walker sisters cabin from here. I really wanted to, but the rest of the family did not and I was too chicken to do it by myself (bears).

1  Thank kren250
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Be sure to read up on the Walker Sisters before going. If you do, it will be well-worth your time and effort. You can either drive to it or walk from the park at Metcalf Bottoms. We have done both; historically it become alive more if you do the walk. And be sure to see the Walker Sisters' home while you are exploring. Great story there............

3  Thank Charlene A
Reviewed 28 January 2012

This old school house has always been very special to my family because my Papaw, James Meek Parton, went to school there. And, yes, he had to walk miles back and forth as suggested in an earlier review. That's just the way it was back then. My sister, my late Aunt Louise and I made it a yearly pilgrimage for so many years. When ill health and bad roads kept my aunt from making the trip we let it slide unfortunately. My sis and I are going up today and spend an hour or two. I encourage anyone with school age children to make the trip up here. It will foster an interest in history like you wouldn't believe.

3  Thank Jeanie B
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We drove the one-way lane to the schoolhouse from the Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area despite the warning we could meet other vehicles and might have to back down the lane. We did not meet anyone coming or going, so worth the drive up to this little piece of heaven in the Park. One wonders if the children who went to school there (and who would have truly had to walk several miles to and from the school in order to attend...except the Walker Sisters who had the "luxury" of living only a mile or so from the school) knew how fortunate they were to attend school in such a pristine place. They had a large yard for recess, a babbling creek in the shade of the trees where they might have eaten their lunch, and the silent majesty of the forest around them, broken only by the birds and the childrens' voices.

If you enjoy historical buildings of this type, you should visit the schoolhouse. There is a hiking trail from the picnic area to the school, but we chose not to utilize that trail since we planned to hike to the Walker Sisters cabin from the school instead.

2  Thank KIR44