“This Must Be Heaven”

US$130.00*
and up
Maui Haleakala Day Bike Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: A dormant volcano measuring 10,000 feet above sea level, it is Maui's highest point.
Atlanta, Georgia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“This Must Be Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

The question was simple: am I going to get up at 3:00 in the morning to see Haleakala Crater? After debating for days, the family decided to go for it. I am so glad we did. This heavenly experience was the most memorable during a lengthy Hawaiian trip. Soft clouds surround you. Majestic sunrise dazzles you. The otherworldly beauty is indescribable. This volcano will stay with you for a lifetime. TIPS: check sunrise, figure out the driving distance from your room, allow for a slow, curving trip up the crater, and get there a little early. It is amazingly cold. I read about it and brought long johns to Hawaii. Glad I did. Unfortunately, I forgot about my hands. Bring gloves, heavy coat, good ski style hat, even good long johns. Yes it sounds crazy. You will thank me. This trip takes 2-4 hours, including a stop for breakfast on the way back down. Worth every second.

Visited July 2013

691 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,217 helpful votes
“A great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

If you want to do something unique and different when visiting Maui, make sure you head to Haleakala crater and watch sunrise. Granted it is an early start and it takes a while to get to the top but it is without doubt an amazing experience.
We watched the sunrise, and then biked down the crater. A couple of tips. Wear warm clothes, you will need them. Ensure your clothes are in layers, as when you descend down the crater you will need to start shedding them as it warms up. Even take things such as gloves and hats - it's cold. Dont underestimate how long it takes you to get to the top and make sure you check the sunrise times !
Get there in plenty of time for the sunrise - it gets busy. You want a good spot where you can take some amazing pictures and no have heads obstructing your view in from of you.

Arcadia, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Magical Maui!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

First off some tips.Call 866-944-5025 for the weather conditions the day before you head up for sunrise.Depending on where you are staying the drive time differs so inquire and I have found leaving one half hour earlier can make all the difference for parking and a Good viewing spot.If at all possible plan before you leave the main land and bring what you think you will need to stave off the pre dawn chill. The temperatures you read about are accurate! If you are already on Maui bring everything from your room.TOWELS BLANKETS OFF THE BED PILLOWS OFF THE SOFA everything helps. You don't want to be miserable because the sunrise is amazing!To all the sunset people sorry, it to is wonderful but sunrise is where it's at.After the sun rises wait for the parking lot to thin out then proceed down and catch what almost all others miss the two overlooks on the way down.The KALAHAKU and LELEIWI if it's clear you will see cinder cones and on a really good day the volcanoes of the big island. Watch for the bikes guided tours will pull over for traffic solo cyclists will for the most part not know your behind them so be patient.All in all the prep is key for a great experience . We have seen ten sunrises now no two have been the same. Please adhere to the KULEANA(responsibility)of keeping the park as it is there are many endangered plant species only walk where posted. Aloha.

2 Thank MWM1958
Auburn, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Sunset is the time to go!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

There is nothing like watching the sunset from above the clouds! We headed up mid-afternoon and had a picnic dinner in the car. Be sure to bring warm clothing - it was only 48 degrees up there in mid-May. We'd tried the sunrise before and were disappointed because it was totally cloudy. The day we went up we drove through a lot of clouds to the top, but things cleared out just in time for sunset and it was truly spectacular. It was our last night on Maui and a perfect ending to our trip. Also, bring plenty of water to drink to avoid dehydration at high altitude.

6 Thank momoftiffy
Leeds, United Kingdom
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“The long way home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

dont get me started. What an experience. I was lucky enough to have bee working on a tropical flower farm back in Hana, for 3-4 months when I got some friends to drive me upto the crater of this incredible volcano. I took an almost full pack of gear, including my tent, to see what the "house of the sun" was all about. A different world, a lunar landscape, a riot for all the senses. I`ve rarely felt so alive anywhere in the world. I camped on the GREEN section, near the drop down the side into the verdid forest below. The only place with a water source, for brewing my tea. It took 5-6 hours to reach, crossing the old larva flows and sulpher pits. At my camp, I was joined by the Hawaiian goose, ne-ne`s, who stopped for tea. A weird landscape, the walls of the crater changed colour as the sunset and also as the sun rose in the morning. It was this 2 night stop in the house of the sun, that got me hooked on volcanos, natures masterpieces.

Visited August 2013