“Check the weather first!!”
Review of Haleakala Crater

US$150.00*
Maui Haleakala Sunrise Bike Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A dormant volcano measuring 10,000 feet above sea level, it is Maui's highest point.
Research, Australia
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Check the weather first!!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We couldn't wait to visit this national park. We left Leilani on a beautiful sunny day with the top down and our shorts on. We were prepared for it to be cooler on the mountain. We weren't prepared for rain and the lack of visibility. We got to the parks entrance and were assured we would be able to see the view when we got to the top. As visibility got worse we got to the information centre and were told to wait 30 minutes at the top for the weather to clear.

We almost didn't get to the top because we couldn't see five feet in front of us and as Aussies driving on the wrong side of a thin road with no barricades it wasn't much fun.

Finally get to the top and waited over an hour for the weather to clear but no such luck! I have seen the photos but we wasted a whole day to see rain, clouds and no views! I am sure it is a great place to visit but a bit of honesty from the locals about weather conditions would have been helpful. The only bad experience we had on our stay in this wonderful paradise.

1 Thank Jenni M

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“The Best Sunrise Ever”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

If you are in Maui this is a must do. Be warned you have to get there early, it is a long drive up the mountain and their are a lot of people and tour buses. Make sure you dress for the cold. the day we went in May it was the second warmest ever, and it was still cold. It was an amazing experience. I would also recommend the sunset.

Peace River, Canada
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Bit of a drive, but a decent view.”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

One of the best parts of the trip to the crater was being able to see something that's wasn't a beach and also getting to cooler temperatures. The road is windy, so it's not for the queasy, and it's no fun if you get stuck behind a long line of traffic. It does make for a pretty view of the island, but if it's foggy you won't see much. It's not that cold, or at least it wasn't when I went, but it's not the beach, so dress accordingly. Worth the trip if you have some time on your hands.

Honolulu, Hawaii
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Most Amazing Sunset Ever”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

UNBELIEVABLE SUNSET! I've never seen anything so amazing. We went to the summit at 10,000ft and it was worth it. Very cold though - wear warm clothes! It was around 40F and windy! The drive up was a lot of switchbacks and about 18miles up the mountain so you drive REALLY SLOW. Still, wouldn't miss it for the world. Next time I'm on Maui I'm going at sunrise.

Atlanta, Georgia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“This Must Be Heaven”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The question was simple: am I going to get up at 3:00 in the morning to see Haleakala Crater? After debating for days, the family decided to go for it. I am so glad we did. This heavenly experience was the most memorable during a lengthy Hawaiian trip. Soft clouds surround you. Majestic sunrise dazzles you. The otherworldly beauty is indescribable. This volcano will stay with you for a lifetime. TIPS: check sunrise, figure out the driving distance from your room, allow for a slow, curving trip up the crater, and get there a little early. It is amazingly cold. I read about it and brought long johns to Hawaii. Glad I did. Unfortunately, I forgot about my hands. Bring gloves, heavy coat, good ski style hat, even good long johns. Yes it sounds crazy. You will thank me. This trip takes 2-4 hours, including a stop for breakfast on the way back down. Worth every second.

Visited July 2013