“Amazing place”

and up
Haleakala Maui Sunrise Tour with Breakfast
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A dormant volcano measuring 10,000 feet above sea level, it is Maui's highest point.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We visited the crater during the day, we decided although it would be amazing to see the sunrise, it would be just too hard to get up at 2am to do the drive up there. The place is amazing, we had a gypsy guide app on my iPhone to help us get there. It was great, as we were able to learn a lot along the way that we would not have without it. It's amazing how the scenery changes on the way up, and when you get to thee top, its like an eerie, barren, almost martian landscape, with gorgeous reds, browns and black colours. The view is amazing, and the clouds are always moving in and out. We stopped at a few different viewpoints on the way back down. I really loved the experience, it was one of the most memorable on my trip and I can't wait to go back and take the kids next time!

1  Thank angie_robyn
Write a ReviewReviews (6,716)
All reviews
in 135 reviews
"long pants"
in 73 reviews

Reviewed 14 June 2014

An early pick-up from the hotel took us up the winding road where we watched the pre-dawn clouds swirl over and around the top of the crater. Dawn brought a majestic sunrise as we donned our gear and rode down the mountain. One of the most memorable holidays of my life!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

It cannot be overstated that Haleakala was by far one of the greatest highlights of our trip to Maui. It is a place that I will not soon forget, and it is a place I will tell everyone I know to visit if they're in Hawaii.

Like many others I wanted to be at the park for sunrise or sunset, but after reading other reviews I decided that it would probably be safer to traverse the mountain roads with daylight to help us out. From Kihei it took us around and hour and half to make it to the park entrance. Once past the entrance it was about another 30 minutes or so to drive to the summit. The roads are extremely winding and if you easily get motion sick or car sick I would recommend taking something to ease your discomfort during the ride to the top.

In addition, you should be prepared to hike at Haleakala. Do not wear flip flops or open toe shoes. You should wear sneakers or preferably hiking boots. You should also dress warmly as the temperature at the summit is considerably colder than the rest of Maui. I estimate that it was likely around 50F or 10C with very strong winds. Wear long pants that are comfortable to walk in, a sweatshirt and jacket if you have it. Pack a lunch as there isn't anywhere to eat near the park and the views are great for eating on the trail. Just be sure to leave the park as you found it and carry out your trash!

2  Thank Gaby R
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We were visiting Maui via the Pride of America Cruise ship. We rented a car for the two days that we were there. (So much cheaper than booking any excursions) The first day we had driven the Road to Hana and the second day we were up bright and early (2:30 am) to depart the ship at 3am for the drive to the summit. The drive is fairly easy; just a lot of repetitive switchbacks back and forth up the summit. I understand that it can be a foggy drive, but on the morning we went it was a crystal clear drive. We probably could have left about 30m later, but getting there early allowed us to get a prime spot right up against the railing for pictures. Do make sure to pack something warmer if you are planning on doing the sunrise; we saw plenty of people in shorts and flip flops freezing their butts off. We had jeans with us from the flight. I also packed an under armour layer, a rain jacket, and a hat and gloves. I am not sorry that I did. We were totally comfortable. The anticipation as the light began to creep over the clouds had the crowds of people buzzing. The changes in coloration over the landscape is amazing to see. The colors of the sunrise are simply breathtaking...and so much more dramatic than a typical sunrise since you are watching it all happen from above the cloudline (about 10,000 feet up to be exact). The landscape made me feel like we were on the moon or another planet. Such a cool experience. Totally worth the incredibly early wake up call. The pictures just don't do it justice. It is $10 to get into the park per car and there are lots of hiking trails and things to do in the park other than watching the sunrise.