“Third sunrise at Haleakala”
Review of Haleakala Crater

US$150.00*
Maui Haleakala Sunrise Bike Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A dormant volcano measuring 10,000 feet above sea level, it is Maui's highest point.
Hong Kong
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 142 helpful votes
“Third sunrise at Haleakala”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I've been 3 times over the past 25 years to Haleakala crater to watch the sunrise. Two times riding down and the other driving.

I'd highly recommend riding down after watching the sunrise, its great fun. Try Haleakala Bike Company.

Don’t stress about the weather, because you just never know what it will be like when you get to the top. Even on a cloudy day it’s still amazing.

Visited June 2014

• Polish first
Columbus, Ohio
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Worth The Time - If You're Lucky!”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Our family woke up at 2am to make the two hour trek from Wailea to watch an amazing sunrise. Obviously weather is going to have a huge impact on each experience. In our case, the weather was perfect. We hit cloud cover between 3,000-5,000 feet and then it cleared up. We arrived a little after 4am and had the place nearly to ourselves. The moon was out in full and it lit up the clouds below. The stars were equally amazing and like nothing I had ever seen. Of course it started to get crowded closer to sunrise but our family still enjoyed the experience. As soon as the sun pops up people abandon the place like a sinking ship. There are plenty of trails to enjoy and other views are equally spectacular. We spent an extra three hours walking around.

My suggestions are pretty straight-forward: 1) don't pay for a tour if you have a car - you're at their mercy if you draw the bad weather card, 2) dress warm even if you are thick skinned - the 40 to 50 degree weather isn't bad but the wind chills you to the bone 3) skip the first parking lot and go right up to the summit - it's the highest point and there is an observation area that shields you from the wind, 4) prepare for the change in altitude - hydration is key to avoid a headache and 5) if you have a National Parks Passport don't forget it - you can get it stamped at the Visitor's Center overlooking the crater.

Visited June 2014
6 Thank jane2001
Shoalhaven, Australia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Amazing place”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We visited the crater during the day, we decided although it would be amazing to see the sunrise, it would be just too hard to get up at 2am to do the drive up there. The place is amazing, we had a gypsy guide app on my iPhone to help us get there. It was great, as we were able to learn a lot along the way that we would not have without it. It's amazing how the scenery changes on the way up, and when you get to thee top, its like an eerie, barren, almost martian landscape, with gorgeous reds, browns and black colours. The view is amazing, and the clouds are always moving in and out. We stopped at a few different viewpoints on the way back down. I really loved the experience, it was one of the most memorable on my trip and I can't wait to go back and take the kids next time!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank angie_robyn
Sydney, Australia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Breathtaking”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

An early pick-up from the hotel took us up the winding road where we watched the pre-dawn clouds swirl over and around the top of the crater. Dawn brought a majestic sunrise as we donned our gear and rode down the mountain. One of the most memorable holidays of my life!

Visited January 2014
Toronto, Canada
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Must See in Maui!”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

It cannot be overstated that Haleakala was by far one of the greatest highlights of our trip to Maui. It is a place that I will not soon forget, and it is a place I will tell everyone I know to visit if they're in Hawaii.

Like many others I wanted to be at the park for sunrise or sunset, but after reading other reviews I decided that it would probably be safer to traverse the mountain roads with daylight to help us out. From Kihei it took us around and hour and half to make it to the park entrance. Once past the entrance it was about another 30 minutes or so to drive to the summit. The roads are extremely winding and if you easily get motion sick or car sick I would recommend taking something to ease your discomfort during the ride to the top.

In addition, you should be prepared to hike at Haleakala. Do not wear flip flops or open toe shoes. You should wear sneakers or preferably hiking boots. You should also dress warmly as the temperature at the summit is considerably colder than the rest of Maui. I estimate that it was likely around 50F or 10C with very strong winds. Wear long pants that are comfortable to walk in, a sweatshirt and jacket if you have it. Pack a lunch as there isn't anywhere to eat near the park and the views are great for eating on the trail. Just be sure to leave the park as you found it and carry out your trash!

Visited April 2014