“Pipiwai Trail - AMAZING HIKE !!” 5 of 5 bubbles

US$124.95*
and up
Haleakala Zipline Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: A scenic hiking and horseback riding trail that features major waterfalls, beautiful pools and an eerie bamboo forest.
Dallas, Texas
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Pipiwai Trail - AMAZING HIKE !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

My husband and I hiked the Pipiwai Trail during our recent stay on Maui. This hike is what I would consider "moderate". This hike is beautiful, challenging and has one of the best payoffs you can imagine. The hike will take you anywhere from 2 1/2-4 hours depending on how much you stop and your fitness level. The hike is approximately 4 miles round trip. I think the uphill elevation change was just over 600 ft. So be prepared to walk/climb uphill for a majority of the hike in. Depending on where you are staying on the island, also be prepared for how long it is going to take you to get to the trailhead - which is located about 10 miles past Hana. I would suggest leaving early from your hotel in order to beat all the tourists and tour buses along the Road to Hana. You can stop and see all the glory of the Hana trip after you finish the hike.

The trail has several waterfalls and infinity pools. Each is unique and we enjoyed exploring them all. Our favorite part of the hike was, by far, the bamboo forest. I can't even adequately describe it. It has it's own climate (humid, very damp) and sound. I can honestly say that listening to the bamboo as the wind blows through is one of the most awesome sounds I've been priviledged to ear. It literally sounds like a Tahitian or Zulu tribe calling in the flock with drums. And that is a "cheesy" description !!

Waimoku Falls is at the end of the trail. Best payoff you can imagine. Spectacular. 400 feet. We packed in a picnic lunch and enjoyed resting by the falls. The hiking trail wasn't crowded and we saw about 15 people come and go as we ate lunch. Just enough people to make you feel comfortable that there would be help if you had an emergency.

Highlights of the trail:
- Bamboo Forest
- the smells of flowers and, maybe wild ginger?
- Makahiku Falls
- the infinity pools
- Waimoku Falls

We wore our hiking boots and packed in lunch, water and first aid supplies. I would suggest doing the same. Enjoy yourself. This trail is spectacular and one of the most amazing things we did while in Maui. It was second only to the whale watching.

Visited February 2012
9 Thank KayakMama_10

• Czech first
Newburgh, Indiana
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“The Bamboo Forest was worth the hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Our main reason to take this hike was to see the Bamboo Forest. It took us about 1.5 hours to get to the forest but it was well worth it. The sounds of the bamboo knocking against each other was awesome.

4 Thank lynhe
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“The bamboo forest has to be seen to be believed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

This is a great hike - not difficult, but long enough to be a satisfying walk. It is about 4 miles long, and you pass a number of waterfalls along the way. (Some of them fall into pools that look very tempting to jump into, but be warned - there isn't actually a way to climb OUT of those pools. You have to wait for someone else to pass by and ask them for help to get out. Don't swim in these pools!) We went in January, and it had been very dry - our guide said that the trail often becomes very muddy, so take that into account when planning. It was totally dry while we were there, but I'm sure a muddy trail would've made the overall hike a bit more tiring.

Along the way you pass an amazing banyan tree. It is a very regal tree, and quite easy to climb. I pretty much could've spent the whole day just being with that tree - it was the most amazing tree I'd ever seen. Lots of people have carved their names into the bark of the tree...it doesn't really harm the tree, so long as you don't cut too deep, but I still didn't like it. It almost felt like a desecration. I know it is a human urge to make a mark on something bigger than you, but I'd ask you to resist. Experience the tree, spend some time with it, and then move on.

The bamboo forest is another very cool part of this hike. It is literally a forest of bamboo - almost nothing else can grow there. It is very creepy. If this forest were in Europe, there would be all sorts of stories of witches and goblins and things living in the shadows. I heard no birdsong...just the wooden clacking of the bamboo as the wind passed by. Definitely an experience.

The waterfall at the end of the hike is beautiful - even when it is dry and the fall is smaller than usual, as it was when we visited. It is so tall, and it looks kind of like a cheerful little stream that was tilted from horizontal to vertical. There were people swimming in the pool at the bottom, but we did not due to the danger of falling rocks. I probably would've been tempted, but as we were arriving, we heard what sounded like gunshots. They were the sounds of falling rocks. The rocks sounded very solid and heavy. Our guide said that not too long ago, an 8 year old girl died after she was hit by falling rocks while swimming in that pool. After hearing the rocks fall myself, I wasn't tempted to get any closer.

We did pack a lunch and eat while gazing at the waterfall, and that was a close to paradise as I can imagine. After you return to the trailhead, it feels really good to cool off with a dip in O'heo Gulch.

8 Thank Stephanie E
Canada
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Worth the hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

It's actually a 2.5 mile hike that includes a lot of steps, and over roots. The boardwalk through the bamboo forest is something to experience, especially if the wind is blowing a little. Use a walking stick if you aren't in real good physical shape. Hike is not for someone who is obese or poor phyiscal condition. If there is too much water coming down, then crossing the two creeks before the falls could be slippery and a little scary. Keep to the trail!

2 Thank BC_Snowflake
Burnaby, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Spectacular falls make it worth the hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

My boyfriend and I and another couple made the trek on January 4 and after a long day in and out of the car and swimming at various beaches along the road to Hana, we were pretty exhausted by around 4 pm when we set out to do this. We began to wonder if we should turn back once we hit the banyan tree. We're all mid to late 20's and moderately fit but it's still a pretty strenuous walk at the end of the day. We decided to push through and I'm so thankful we did as the bamboo forest was really a neat experience and kind of scary once you got into the thick of it and realized how dark it could get. Once we made it out and saw the falls in the near distance you realize how worth the hike is and wonder how many people have given up and missed out on such a breath taking view. We were the only ones at the falls so spent a little time there taking it all in before deciding to head back so we wouldn't get caught at sundown in the dark bamboo forest. The hike back is much easier and faster. Before you set out, be sure to change into comfortable runners or even water shoes for the streams you have to cross and take some drinking water.

5 Thank Kimba2122