“Fantastic Place”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Fantastic Place”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

What a fantastic place to come and getaway. Often maligned by people who stay here with unrealistic expectations. Come here expecting an old time vacation and you will be more than happy. Come here expecting a fancy place for the price then you will be disappointed. People have unreal expectations.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
David M, Manager at Volcano House, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Aloha Lily M,

I appreciate your feedback on your recent visit here to Volcano House located in Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park.

I'm sorry that I didn't respond sooner, somehow I missed this wonderful review! I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that you will come visit again soon.

808.756.9625

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2014

It is situated in an amazing place on top of a volcano. I took a walking tour, and the guide was very knowledgeable and friendly. We walked through some amazing rainforests and saw some volcanic gases and lava that glowed at night, and it was great for photography but a bit long so I wouldn't recommend it for families with young children. The rooms were small but well cleaned, and there was a little restaurant inside the building with yummy Hawaiian based food. Id like to mention that there is also free wifi, though the rooms did not have TVs. It was reasonably priced.

• Stayed March 2014
David M, General Manager at Volcano House, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Aloha akinatorhannah,

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our evening walking tour provided free to all in-house guests as well as our free WiFi. I'll relay to the restaurant staff that you enjoyed our Taste of Hawaii menu and to the housekeeping staff that you felt you room was well cleaned.

Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We checked in on February 20th for two nights but chose to stay only one. This was not a problem provided one checks out before noon the next day. The reason we checked out is because we saw what we wanted as the road had been closed past the lookout point due to the release of gases and the Park deeming it unsafe.

The hotel is old and one can see this. It has been renovated and it is very clean. The staff is great.

The room we had contained two double beds and faced the volcano. The room was clean. The bed we used was comfortable as were the pillows. There was a closet in our room that was walk-in and on the far wall in the closet was a doorway that could join/open the room next to ours. The walls are “paper thin” and we were able to hear the actions and parts of conversations of those in the next room therefore they too could hear us and this was with the closet door and bathroom doors closed. It would have been nice to have the rooms properly insulated to provide the privacy when the hotel was renovated. One could also hear people in the all but the reason we were there was not to stay in the rooms but to get out and enjoy the wonders of nature. Was it an issue…no, people in the hall did not stay there to talk and people in the next room were only heard once in a while. Again, the weather was beautiful and we were not there to sit in the room. We had robes and access to the in-room safe. The coffee in the room was not great but the coffee downstairs was. I would stay there again without a second thought.

There is no television but they do advertise iPads on a first come, first serve basis. There was no fridge or microwave either so you are down to the basics but you are not there for these extras in the room, you are there to see the wonders of nature and the creation of an island. The volcano was glowing and from our understanding, it was down 400 feet therefore we would not see any “activity”. The fog moved in later that evening therefore we were not able to see the glow of the volcano very long that evening however at 05:00 the next morning, it had cleared and we were able to see the volcano. The windows are “old style” and the screens are too.

The restaurant is expensive but the food is good. The staff is attentive in both restaurants. The food is good and the breakfast buffet has a lot of choices therefore, if you leave hungry, it is your fault. Get there early and get a table by the window. The early morning view as the sun covers the Halema‘uma‘u Crater is spectacular. The gift shops, there are two, have lots to choose from but both carry pretty much the same things. The staff are friendly and they make sure to wrap everything well.

There is an area to sit and just experience the views but we came from a winter climate and we were not prepared to sit inside.

A stop at the Information Center is a must. The staff is excellent and they provide one with the information to fully appreciate and experience the volcano.

Go there for the historical value, the view, the experience, and you will not be disappointed. Our experience was priceless to us.

Room Tip: Ask for the crater view room. If you are going to spend the money
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GrannyAC
Aloha GrannyAC,

Thank you so much for the kind works in your review of Volcano House located in Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park. I'm glad you appreciate the historic value of our property, the view from the lodge and the experience this unique location has to offer.

Thank you also for sharing your great experiences with our restaurant food and staff. I agree that our breakfast buffet is full of wonderful choices and one should never leave hungry!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

This hotel is sparce ... Like a YMCA camp room. It has no TV but the lack of air conditioning made for a sleepless night. There is no air flow and we sweated all night even though it was cool outside. For $340/night this is highway robbery. Stay just a mile or so away at the Kilauea lodge which is half the price and you get air conditioning and a nice room. I travel significantly and would not recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Sharon A
Aloha Sharon A

Thank you for your recent feedback on your stay at Volcano House. While you enjoyed the views from our lodge, I'm sorry to hear that we didn't live up to your expectations and that we let you down specifically no television, no air conditioner and small bathrooms. I've responded to the same concerns from your traveling companion's review below, so I apologize ahead of time for using some of the same wording in this response.

The lack of TV's in the rooms was a conscious decision by the National Park Service they believe guests are here to see and appreciate the beauty the Park has to offer. We offer free iPads to all of our guests and along with free WiFi you can stream content to these iPads. We are purchasing boards games so that guests can spend time connecting with their traveling companions. (these have been ordered and will be in place this week) We are also developing a lending library for our guests. We already have children's Hawai'i bedtime stories for loan at our front desk. We also offer a free evening guide-led interpretive tour for all in-house guests. We also offer free live music 4 nights a week in Uncle George's Lounge.

The average high temperature in Volcano, Hawaii runs between 66.9 degrees and 72.4 degrees Fahrenheit with average lows in the low to mid fifties. At an elevation of nearly 4000 feet, most guests are often surprised how cool it can be in the Park and that is why we've installed new heaters in all of our rooms. We do have fans available to our guests that may require a bit of additional cooling and I apologize that one wasn't made available to you. I've ordered smaller fans to leave permanently in each of our guest rooms.

I'd like to discuss these comments with you further so that I can learn to do a better job meeting guest expectations, so please feel free to contact me.

bc
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed for one night, hiked the trails for a couple hours once we checked in at 3:00pm. We had a deluxe crater view room on the top floor which was very nice. Dinner was fantastic and especially our waitress, Sadie. She totally pampered us as we were celebrating our anniversary. Sitting in the lounge staring out at the GLOW of the crater is something we will never forget. Up early next morning and walked down to the crater floor and across to the other side. Can't think of too many places to go to have the experience that we did while staying at the Volcano House. For us, everything was simply amazing!!!!

Room Tip: Crater room for sure. No swimming pool or fitness centre and that is what made it excellent as we g...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
David M, General Manager at Volcano House, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Aloha Nips 7,

Thanks for the wonderful feedback about your stay at Volcano House located in Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park. I'm glad that you enjoyed your room, the Rim Restaurant and your hiking experience in the Park.

I will share your feedback about your restaurant experience with Sadie, she will be thrilled to hear about this.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Where do we start, we booked a deluxe twin crater view room at volcano house for two nights, which was a more expensive option. First we were told that they hadn't reserved us a twin and now none were available. Then when we went to the room it was only possible to glimpse the smoke from the crater if we stood in one corner on tiptoe. When we complained we were told that not all crater view rooms have a view of the crater!! They reluctantly moved us to a room with a view but we were told we could only have it for one night. Moreover the deluxe rooms are pretty standard and not private as you can hear people talking,moving and much more in the surrounding rooms.

The food in the restaurant is not worth the money paid, and we asked for a window table which we got but was with an obscured view.

Disappointed with the whole experience so checked out after one night. Very poor value in all counts and would not recommend on that basis.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Noellecuk
David M, General Manager at Volcano House, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Aloha Noellecuk,

Thank you for providing us with valuable feedback on your stay at Volcano House located in Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park.

We are working on better communicating about the view from our guest rooms. All of these rooms overlook the summit caldera of Kīlauea and also allow views of Halemaʻumaʻu crater. Not all rooms allow for clear views of the plume being released from Halemaʻumaʻu crater and we are working with our reservation service and our web developers to make certain each potential guest better understands this.

I apologize for the disappointing experience and I would like to make it up to you. Please contact me so that we may further discuss.

shelton, ct
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I was a little hesitant booking at Volcano House based on some of the reviews, particularly the noise between rooms, but I can tell you that my concerns were unwarranted and I found the Volcano House hotel to be an incredibly comfortable place to stay. I had a Volcano view room that was recently updated and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom, while small, was also recently re-done and was very clean. The sitting rooms and the bar have great views of the volcano too and have a very cozy, come sit and relax awhile appeal. Truly after two days there I felt myself not wanting to leave because of the charm and tranquility of the place. This would not be a place I would suggest for families with young children unless you are using it just as a one night short stop around the island because there is little of anything for the kids to do (including no tv).

I ate in both the bar and their restaurant and the food, particularly the omelette at breakfast, was really good. Probably the best omelette Ive ever had.

I left the Volcano house with a feeling the staff was really friendly and cared about its customers. The highlights here were the restaurant and gift shop staff, particularly the lady who seemed to act like the Auntie of the entire room (curly black hair with glasses, sorry I didnt get your name but you were awesome), as well as the girls working at the gift shop next store to the restaurant. The girls at the gift shop suggested I mail stuff home rather than carry it around, what a great idea that was and they hooked me up. Really genuinely friendly and helpful people. Also a big thank you to the front desk lady who gave me some coffee at 6am (before it was available from the restaurant), life saver for this East Coast coffee addict. There was only one sour apple in the bunch and it was the lady who was at the front desk during business hours the two days I was there. She simply had no time for the guests and when I checked out barely even looked at me. Maybe she was having a bad week but hopefully she can improve her guest interaction.

Overall I would recommend staying here if you are on this side of the island. It makes exploring the park very easy and you will be rewarded with a comfortable nights sleep.

Oh, I have to mention the noise thing. The walls are SUPER thin, just like everyone says, but unless your wasting you day sleeping when the sun is out, this is not really going to be a problem. This is coming from a very light sleeper and I personally can vouch that after 10pm, there is nothing going on here and everyone is hunkered down. I slept great both nights. Dont worry about the noise, its not that big a deal.

Room Tip: Volcano view is definitely worth the extra cost. Get an omelette, you will love them.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank kellyeleven
Aloha KellyEleven,

It's exciting to hear that you experienced your best omelette ever right hear at Volcano House!

Thank you for sharing your experience and for all of the kind words. I will let Candy know that you enjoyed her service in the restaurant and I will let the Gift Shop staff know how friendly and helpful you found them.

Our one sour apple at the front desk resigned her position yesterday and we are working on raising our customer service levels for our rooms experience by better training for our rooms staff. In an effort to make our hotel experience more welcoming to children, We are implementing room service with pizza delivery, turndown service with locally made treats, children's story books highlighting Hawai'i bedtime stories, board games, cookie service in the lobby and we already have loaner iPads with free WiFi for all of guests.

Probably the best news for you is that we've extended our coffee service hours to start at 5:00 am!

Thank you again for your feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
Kilauea Lodge
Kilauea Lodge
#1 of 19 in Volcano
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Volcano House? Share your experiences!