“Hotel and restaurant”

GreenLeadersBronze level
East Northport, United States
“Hotel and restaurant”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The restoration of the historic Volcano House is now complete, my hat's off to the Ortega Group for whom is responsible; their common sense strategy has kept this beloved hotel as once was.
My only regret is that their taste in food has much to be desired; the restaurant should be graded below average at best, the food is pedestrian, the staff unknowing and the price out of sight.

Room Tip: Overlooking the volcanos' Halemaumau crater.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
David M, General Manager at Volcano House, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Aloha Philip A,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to Volcano House, located in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. I'm glad to hear that you like the recent renovation and that you appreciate the historic nature of the building.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't care for your experience in the Rim Restaurant. I hope you will reach out to me to let me know specifically what your concerns were - I would like very much to better understand your concerns and what we can do improve our dining experience.

Most diners in our restaurant comment on the high quality of the food and the outstanding service offered (based on our post -stay surveys). We source over 95% of our meats and produce directly from the Big Island and offer a variety of choices for our diners.

Once again, please feel free to reach out to me about your concerns with our restaurant so that we may better serve our guests in the future.

808.756.9625

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Korean first
Naperville, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This is going to be a bit of a combo review of the Volcano House and Bar/Restaurants on property.
This property has history going back to the late 1890's. A few major renovations have transpired over a 100 or so years. Most recently after a 2 year (some say less some say longer) shutdown, it has reopened. One can see modern fixtures, new tile work in the baths, etc, etc, its is still a make over of a '50s lodge. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, but hot water takes some time to come, walls are thin (yes I think we had a Honeymoon couple next door), there are the louvered glass windows (crank outs and all), no TV, very small (but nicely appointed) toilet/shower space. Our view was over the crater and was spectacular.
The Lobby Bar is very well stocked. If you are a Scotch/Bourbon/Gin/Craft Beer/Wine aficionado you will not be disappointed. Likewise our Dinner and Breakfast (buffet) was very good. Service and staff was OK, don't expect NY or Chicago type service but they try and are accommodating.
In the end how many times can one say you are Staying/Dining/staring over a Volvano Crater?

Room Tip: There is a section of rooms (I think #1 through 19) that are one of the original additions, these ha...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Roy S
David M, General Manager at Volcano House, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Aloha Roy S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us here at Volcano House, located in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed dinner and breakfast - I will pass that information along to Chef Jay and his staff - they'll appreciate the compliment.

Also, thank you for appreciating the historic nature of our lodge. Operating a historic lodge in a National Park comes with a unique set of variables that we work very hard to balance with our guests' expectations.

I hope that you are able to stay with us again some day soon!

Bethel Island, California
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This is the place to be if you love volcanos. The staff at Volcano House went above and beyond all our expectations and made us feel like we were at home. We will be returning for sure your good walking shoes, we walked over 30 miles in 6 days on some of the most beautiful and diverse trails ever

Room Tip: The deluxe room actually has a view of the crater that after nightfall glows red- AWESOME ROOM VIEW...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank riverata
Aloha Riverata,

Thank you for the kind words about Volcano House. We loved having you in and your family stay with us - you were a pleasure to serve!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our staff and that you were able to take advantage of the many miles of hiking trails that Hawaii Volcanoes National Park has to offer.

We look forward to you and your family staying with us again sometime soon!

st charles il, Illinois, USA
Reviewed 2 April 2014

To those who talk of overpriced lodging, I suppose luxury amenities mean more than a view of a volcano, clean and comfortable rooms, excellent restaurant and friendliness beyond compare. This is an historic lodge and while not fancy - it is well-kept and superbly run. We came to witness a phenomena of nature and are very happy that this hotel allowed such easy access to the Volcano National Park. Breakfast buffet is excellent. The lava stone fireplace is constantly lit so after a rainy hike you can get warm. I would highly recommend this hotel to people who appreciate the national park system and the historic lodges within it. Aloha

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room. 1st floor hallway was a bit noisy.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Aloha Bengelh,

I appreciate you taking the time to write such kind words about Volcano House, located in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. I'm pleased to see that you particularly enjoyed the friendliness of our staff. I will pass that along at our next staff meeting and let our employees know what a wonderful job they are doing.

I hope you are enjoying the springtime back in Illinois and that your future plans will include another stay with us here at Volcano House.

Winter Haven, Florida
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

The room we had was one of the cheapest as we didn't want to splurge. If you can't afford a room looking at the volcano then forget it.
A parking lot view wasn't exciting and the size of the room was small. The old style bathrooms made me claustrophobic and longing for more value.

• Stayed February 2014
David M, General Manager at Volcano House, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Aloha MouseTravels4,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback on your recent stay here at Volcano House, located in Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our views and cleanliness.

I'm sorry that you didn't find value in our Standard rooms. While our standard view rooms don't overlook the summit caldera of Kīlauea, they are still an excellent choice when staying with us. We offer close proximity to all that Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park has to offer. You can access hiking trails directly out of our back door or sit and enjoy your morning coffee in our meditation rooms while overlooking the caldera.

Complimentary with all of our rooms are daily guide led tours of the Park, iPads and WiFI, bicycles to ride in the Park, and a host of other amenities including a lending library with natural history books and children's bedtime stories.

Please feel free to contact me to further discuss this.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Reviewed 18 March 2014

What a fantastic place to come and getaway. Often maligned by people who stay here with unrealistic expectations. Come here expecting an old time vacation and you will be more than happy. Come here expecting a fancy place for the price then you will be disappointed. People have unreal expectations.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
David M, Manager at Volcano House, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Aloha Lily M,

I appreciate your feedback on your recent visit here to Volcano House located in Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park.

I'm sorry that I didn't respond sooner, somehow I missed this wonderful review! I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that you will come visit again soon.

Mahalo

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2014

It is situated in an amazing place on top of a volcano. I took a walking tour, and the guide was very knowledgeable and friendly. We walked through some amazing rainforests and saw some volcanic gases and lava that glowed at night, and it was great for photography but a bit long so I wouldn't recommend it for families with young children. The rooms were small but well cleaned, and there was a little restaurant inside the building with yummy Hawaiian based food. Id like to mention that there is also free wifi, though the rooms did not have TVs. It was reasonably priced.

• Stayed March 2014
David M, General Manager at Volcano House, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Aloha akinatorhannah,

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our evening walking tour provided free to all in-house guests as well as our free WiFi. I'll relay to the restaurant staff that you enjoyed our Taste of Hawaii menu and to the housekeeping staff that you felt you room was well cleaned.

Mahalo

Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Hale Ohia Cottages
Hale Ohia Cottages
#3 of 20 in Volcano

Been to Volcano House? Share your experiences!