“Convenient Location, Spectacular View??”
Review of Volcano House

Volcano House
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
“Convenient Location, Spectacular View??”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We made our reservation on line and paid about $100.00 extra per night over the standard room rate for a "Room with a View". We were in room 28 in the Annex Building and the view was not good at all. There were bushes outside our room that completely blocked the view of the glowing caldera. You could see about half of the crater looking in the other direction but we had to go to the dining room or observatory to actually get a view of the smoking and glowing caldera. I believe that the other rooms had a better view than we did and a second floor room would definitely be better than on the first floor. Since we only stayed one night, it didn't make sense to try to change rooms but we did bring it to the attention of the Hotel on our review with them (haven't heard anything back from them so not sure if they even care). Since the Hotel is inside the National Park you do have to pay the admission to Volcano National Park, which is $10.00 but it is good for up to 10 days if you are in the hotel. Also if you are over 62 you can get a lifetime pass to all US National Parks for $20.00 ($10.00 for the pass & $10.00 processing fee) but only certain National Parks accept an application on site. It is easier to apply by mail and it takes about 2 months for processing (www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm).

Although the hotel was closed for sometime for renovations, the rooms haven't been updated much. Our room was the size of a typical hotel room although the bathroom was very small with very little counter space and a tiny shower stall. There was a small heater in the room but it was enough to keep the room comfortable (we were there in early April and it was cool at night). There is wi-fi in the room but no television (not that you will have time to watch TV). The hotel is across from the Visitor Center and about a mile from the Jagger Museum. There are a few hiking trail heads very close to the Hotel entrance if you are into hiking.

There is a very good restaurant in the hotel as well as a lounge. The views from the dining room were as good as those from the Jagger Museum and a lot less crowded, especially at night. The menu selection was varied to suit most tastes and the food was very good, both at lunch and dinner. You should make a reservation for dinner and request a table by the window (they can't guarantee window seating but will try to accommodate your request). During dinner they did announce and then turned off the dining room lights to give a better view of the glowing caldera. The dining room staff were very friendly and knowledgable. Service was efficient but not rushed. Prices were a little higher but you are a captive audience in a great location within the National Park. Overall this is a very nice place to stay if you will be in the National Park for more than a day. Just be careful if you pay more for a room with a view as you may not get what you think you paid for.

Room Tip: Do not accept Room 28 as a room with a view if you have to pay extra for it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ronald Y

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Korean first
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We suprised our children by staying at this resort shortly after it had reopened. If you are wanting to maximize your vist to Volcano National Park this is the place to stay. The room was great and you can't beat the view of a glowing volcano out your window.

Everyone was very helpful. The breakfast buffet and both the food in the bar were great.

The only downside was that there wasn't a tv in the room. This wouldn't be a problem except for one of the evenings it was pouring rain so we couldn't be outside. Keeping two kids occupied was a little challenging. They might want to have a came room or a library where you could check out games.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a volcano view room!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
David M, General Manager at Volcano House, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Aloha Hula1966,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Volcano House located in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. I'm glad to here that you enjoyed your room and the food & service in our restaurant.

We have purposely kept televisions out of our rooms to encourage guests to enjoy all the beauty of Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park. Since your stay last August, we now offer many TV alternatives, including: free use of iPads and Wi-Fi, daily guided walking tours of Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park, free bike rentals, live entertainment in Uncle George's Lounge on Wednesday, Saturday & Sunday evenings, board and card games, and a lending library with guide books, cultural history and Hawaii-themed children's bedtime stories. If you do need to catch the big game, television is available in Uncle George's Lounge.

I hope you'll make it back our way again and enjoy all that we now offer!

Please contact me with any questions or concerns.

Camillus, New York
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My husband and I have visited the Big Island twelve times since 1990. One of our "musts" on each trip has always been a day at the Volcanoes National Park. Until two years ago, we had always stayed on the Kona side of the island, making for a very long drive and limited time in the park if we wanted to get back to the hotel before dark. Two years ago we got smart and, although we still spent the majority of our time on the other side of the island, spent two nights in Hilo, which is about 45 minutes from the park. This year we decided to go all the way and spend two nights at the Volcano House. I had read numerous reviews about the hotel, so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. We stayed in a "Deluxe Volcano Crater View" room (#35 on the second floor). The room was relatively spacious. I was able to get a glimpse of one of the other rooms, and from what I could see, it was quite a bit smaller than ours. I think the size of the room was what put it in the "deluxe" category, because I think the view of the crater was better in some of the other smaller rooms. But it was okay, since we didn't spend too much time in the room. However, the bathroom was tiny and really designed for only one person. The shower was one of the worst showers I've ever experienced. You could get more water pressure standing out in the rain than you could from that showerhead! But...as I had expected, staying there was all about location, location, location--which was awesome. There were two restaurants--The Rim, which was quite elegant and pricey; and Uncle George's Lounge, which was a bit more reasonable. There was a very reasonably-priced breakfast buffet in The Rim. We ate one dinner at The Rim, one at Uncle George's, and had the breakfast buffet both mornings. I have to say that the food was very, very good. Both my husband and I agreed, though, that The Rim didn't "fit" with the rest of the place. The hotel really is, when you come down to it, more of a "lodge" than a hotel. The elegance of the restaurant seemed out of place, especially since almost all of the people dining there were wearing hiking clothes! Another thing--the hotel was cold! We had a little electric baseboard heating unit on one of the walls in the bedroom, but everywhere else was (or seemed to be) cold. Even at night, when it got down into the low 60's (or maybe even cooler), all the doors in the lobby were open! One thing I had read was that the hotel is very noisy. And indeed it was. We could hear people tromping up and down the halls (especially children, of whom there were a lot), and one morning I could actually hear what was going on in the bathroom in the room next to ours. (I'm sure they could hear us as well...) One last minor complaint--the there didn't seem to be enough parking for the hotel guests. One night after dinner my husband and I drove to a lookout point to see the crater up close. We were gone for less than an hour. When we got back, the parking lot was completely full. I ran into the lobby and asked the person at the desk where we should park. We had to park across the road, in the Visitor Center parking lot. It wasn't that big of a deal for us, but we saw a family in that parking lot unloading luggage from their car. My guess is that they were checking and had to cart everything across the road because there was no where else to park. It was quite cool and misting, and I felt badly for them. On a more positive note, the staff was mostly pleasant and efficient (especially in the restaurants). And, I have to say that the gift shop was one of the best hotel gift shops I've ever been in. Not only did they have many logo souvenirs, they also had a lot of very unique art objects--things I've never seen anywhere else; and believe me, I've been in many, many gift shops in Hawaii over the years. All in all, I'm glad we stayed there. We had never been in the park after dark, and seeing the caldera glowing at night was an unforgettable experience. That image will stay with me forever. Now that we've done it, however, I doubt we'll stay there again; we'll probably stay in Hilo for two nights next time.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor, at the very end of the addition (Room #35). I think a room closer...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CDWfromNY
Aloha CDWfromNY,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent visit to Volcano House located in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. I'm glad to hear that you think our gift shops are some of the best you've ever seen. We take great care to stock wares from local artists and really showcase them front and center. I'm also pleased that you enjoyed our friendly staff, the food in our restaurants and our world-class view!

I'm having our maintenance department look into the shower flow issue you mentioned. We'll replace any shower head that isn't flowing properly.

We are a historic lodge located in a National Park and have to balance the historic fabric of the building with meeting our guests needs and expectations. The smaller size bathrooms and the hallway noise is something that we are addressing. We've added spa sound machines to all the rooms and we are putting together sleep amenity packets that will contain aromatherapy, sleep masks and ear plugs - and don't forget our turndown service with cookies from Big Island Delights! We've increased the usable space in the bathrooms by adding additional robe hooks and towel racks and we will be adding additional shelving for amenity storage.

Thank you again for the feedback!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Arrived at midday and was curtly told that check-in wasn't allowed until 3pm. Asked if we could store our bags, and was told we could leave them next to the desk. No thanks. Denied all knowledge of our dinner reservation. Luckily we had the email confirmation.

Room was very basic, with paper thin walls and roof. Shorted out one of the lamps by trying to plug our iPad
charger into the wall socket.

Staff in the restaurant were friendly but the meal was rushed. Mains served while we were still eating appetisers.

Okay for 1 night, but a bit like a school camp.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christie W
David M, General Manager at Volcano House, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Aloha Christy W,

Thanks for offering feedback on your recent stay at Volcano House, located in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. I'm sorry we let you down by not having a room ready prior to our 3:00 pm check-in time and for not offering a more secure location for your bags.

Our policy is to check guests into their room if it is available and clean, even if this is before our published 3:00 pm check-in time. With a 12:00 pm check-out time, we often don't have many room available until 1:00 pm. Upon reviewing the notes from your reservation, I see that you first arrived at 10:30 am. Unfortunately the guests that were staying in your room the evening before didn't check-out until nearly noon, and we weren't able to service the room until 1:00 pm. I've talked to the front desk supervisor about this and we are going to retrain our front desk staff to make certain we clearly communicate that we will do our best to have rooms ready early, if possible.

We currently store guest luggage adjacent to our front desk area in a small alcove. I didn't realize that this may not seem like a very secure area. Based on your observation, we've changed our policy to now secure luggage in a locked office a few step from the front desk - thank you for the great suggestion!

As for your lost dinner reservation, it appears that we did have you reservation, but there wasn't an attached time. You communicated your reservation desire in the notes section of the your online reservation. We should have taken the time to call you to confirm the time that you wished to dine with us. I apologize for this over site. Based on this experience, we will now be reviewing all in-house guest dinner reservations 3 days prior to arrival. We will follow up with a phone call to any one that hasn't yet made a reservation or if we have any questions about specific times or requirements. Thank you for another great observation!

I'm also sorry that your appetizer and entrees came out too close together - I agree, this makes your dinner feel rushed, which is never our intention. We allow a full 2 hours between seatings to give diners ample opportunity to enjoy our locally sourced dishes and our iconic crater view. I've spoken to our Restaurant Manager and he is doing a pre-shift training tonight with all of our servers to make certain they are to allow enough time between courses for our guest to take in their dining experience.

My apologies again for letting you down, but also much thanks for letting me know about areas we need to improve upon. Without your feedback, we wouldn't have know to make these changes.

Please contact me with any questions or concerns.

East Northport, United States
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The restoration of the historic Volcano House is now complete, my hat's off to the Ortega Group for whom is responsible; their common sense strategy has kept this beloved hotel as once was.
My only regret is that their taste in food has much to be desired; the restaurant should be graded below average at best, the food is pedestrian, the staff unknowing and the price out of sight.

Room Tip: Overlooking the volcanos' Halemaumau crater.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Aloha Philip A,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to Volcano House, located in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. I'm glad to hear that you like the recent renovation and that you appreciate the historic nature of the building.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't care for your experience in the Rim Restaurant. I hope you will reach out to me to let me know specifically what your concerns were - I would like very much to better understand your concerns and what we can do improve our dining experience.

Most diners in our restaurant comment on the high quality of the food and the outstanding service offered (based on our post -stay surveys). We source over 95% of our meats and produce directly from the Big Island and offer a variety of choices for our diners.

Once again, please feel free to reach out to me about your concerns with our restaurant so that we may better serve our guests in the future.

Naperville, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This is going to be a bit of a combo review of the Volcano House and Bar/Restaurants on property.
This property has history going back to the late 1890's. A few major renovations have transpired over a 100 or so years. Most recently after a 2 year (some say less some say longer) shutdown, it has reopened. One can see modern fixtures, new tile work in the baths, etc, etc, its is still a make over of a '50s lodge. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, but hot water takes some time to come, walls are thin (yes I think we had a Honeymoon couple next door), there are the louvered glass windows (crank outs and all), no TV, very small (but nicely appointed) toilet/shower space. Our view was over the crater and was spectacular.
The Lobby Bar is very well stocked. If you are a Scotch/Bourbon/Gin/Craft Beer/Wine aficionado you will not be disappointed. Likewise our Dinner and Breakfast (buffet) was very good. Service and staff was OK, don't expect NY or Chicago type service but they try and are accommodating.
In the end how many times can one say you are Staying/Dining/staring over a Volvano Crater?

Room Tip: There is a section of rooms (I think #1 through 19) that are one of the original additions, these ha...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Roy S
David M, General Manager at Volcano House, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Aloha Roy S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us here at Volcano House, located in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed dinner and breakfast - I will pass that information along to Chef Jay and his staff - they'll appreciate the compliment.

Also, thank you for appreciating the historic nature of our lodge. Operating a historic lodge in a National Park comes with a unique set of variables that we work very hard to balance with our guests' expectations.

I hope that you are able to stay with us again some day soon!

Bethel Island, California
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This is the place to be if you love volcanos. The staff at Volcano House went above and beyond all our expectations and made us feel like we were at home. We will be returning for sure your good walking shoes, we walked over 30 miles in 6 days on some of the most beautiful and diverse trails ever

Room Tip: The deluxe room actually has a view of the crater that after nightfall glows red- AWESOME ROOM VIEW...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank riverata
Aloha Riverata,

Thank you for the kind words about Volcano House. We loved having you in and your family stay with us - you were a pleasure to serve!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our staff and that you were able to take advantage of the many miles of hiking trails that Hawaii Volcanoes National Park has to offer.

We look forward to you and your family staying with us again sometime soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
Kilauea Lodge
#1 of 19 in Volcano
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Volcano House? Share your experiences!