We visited the Big Island only for 1 night on our 2 week trip to Oahu and Maui. The main purpose was to see the crater and visit the National Park.
We arrived at 9 am at the Hilo Airport and fortunately the lady at the Information Desk at the Airport was extremely helpful. She suggested we visit the black sand beach to see the turtles and since we have two boys 14 and 11 and they would like to see the turtles up close lazing on the beach and advised us to pick some food along the way since there isnt any food on the way.
On the way back from the black sand beach we reached our hotel at around 1 pm and the front desk lady gave us our room keys. The room was very basic for over $300 a night. But thats ok since we were paying for the location or so we thought!!
After putting our bags in the room we went back down to ask a few questions but she said we should inquire at the Visitor Center of the Park!!!! Never had such unfriendly front desk /concierge...
staff interaction before.
We were very disappointed that the front desk person didnt provide sufficient information about the Jagger Museum, the surrounding hot steam vents and the many things we could have done in the evening. It seems like they are not knowledgeable and unwilling to provide information. We landed up going back to the room and checking things online so we could see all teh sights the next morning.
After exploring around the park and following a few hiking trails... we came back to the hotel...since there is no other place to eat around there we decided to try the bar/cafe at the restaurant.
there was only 1 lady server with an assistant who was helping with the seating. the place was packed.. and we waited over an hour to get our food...which would be ok..if they served in the order they were supposed to!!!!!
I think they need to better manage their staff at busy times, since breakfast next morning there were 4 tables occupied and 6 staff on hand!!!
the breakfast was also overpriced and just about ok! but since there is no other place to eat around there you are pretty much stuck.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Volcano House is the only hotel located within Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and is perched on the rim of Kilauea's Halemaumau crater. The historic Volcano House Hotel has long captured the imagination of visitors from all over the world with its iconic location, rich cultural legacy, and warm Hawaiian hospitality. Drawing upon a storied history dating back to 1846, Volcano House Hotel is now re-imagined for a new era with updated rooms, a restaurant and lounge serving Pacific Rim fare, and retail shops. Come experience the best Hawaii Island has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Travel Republic (UK) and Cancelon so you can book your Volcano House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Volcano House Hotel Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Volcano Hotel
- Volcano House Hawaii/Hawaii Volcanoes National Park