“East Bank Trail”

A TripAdvisor Member
“East Bank Trail”
Reviewed 23 January 2002

01/23/02

I just returned from a three day-two night backpacking trip up the East Bank Trail (AKA Baker Lake Trail). Few other backcountry trails are accessable at this time of year. I started the trail at the south trailhead and hiked north along Baker Lake. The snow made travel to the Baker River Trailhead impassable. This is not a flat trail, but it is relatively easy.

At the start of the trail, there were patches of snow. I packed in the four miles to Maple Grove Campground and unsuprisingly was the only one there (not possible in June/July). The Douglas Firs were gigantic. Light to medium snow continued to fall through the first evening.

I woke up on day two to heavy snow fall and hiked another few miles up the trail towards the Baker River Trailhead. Snow fall was near two feet in places, but I trudged through, clearing trees from the trail on occasion. I turned around at a major creek and unofficial campsite (I didn't carry a map). The cedars beyond Maple Creek are fat and I sat and admired a few for a while.

The return hike could have been very wet, but thanks to great gear, I stayed dry. Snow (and sometimes branches) continued to fall from the trees. I took an unsigned, side trail down to a primitive campground by the lake (May be called Harmony based on previous trail registry information).

Trees had blown down along the trail or got so heavy with snow that they snapped. I spent a few hours clearing the trail, only to find more down on my return. There are also some big trees down across the trail that require climbing, crawling or walking around until someone comes in with a big chainsaw. Bridges are all intact and functional. All-in-all, the trail is in great shape. A few signs are missing, but common sense gets you through.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member