“Beautiful Lodge, Average Accomodations”
Review of Wuksachi Lodge

Wuksachi Lodge
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Wuksachi Lodge is the newest of the properties we stayed at in the Sequoia and Kings Canyon national parks. The Wuksachi main lodge is grand and beautiful and features a reception area (complementary coffee), gift shop and dining room. The guest rooms are in separate buildings, a short walk or drive from the main lodge. Though they don't compare to a regular hotel, the guest rooms are spacious ceiling fans, TV (choices and definition are not great), a nice sized refrigerator in the room and coffee maker. The beds were comfortable enough and the bathroom was large and clean. Dinner at the lodge was particularly good: I ordered fresh trout served with wild rice and enjoyed a basil and lime cocktail; all delicious. There were also great selections for the vegans in our party. The breakfast service was OK with a sizable spread of options. Wifi is available in the main lodge only and cell service is spotty. A little on expensive side. If you only have a couple of days to spend in the parks, I would recommend Wuksachi Lodge and the following nearby hikes: Congress Trail and the General Sherman tree is very easy, Moro Rock is a little more challenging but short, and Little Baldy is even more challenging with a beautiful panoramic view at the top.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
PropertyExecutive, Manager at Wuksachi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Thank you for sharing your detailed review. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that room and that it spacious and clean. The culinary team will be thrilled your comments that the food and cocktails was delicious. All the best, Brandy Frederich, Assistant General Manager, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Location is excellent, park centre with easy access to all SNP attractions. Hotel itself is simple and clean. Not many options for restaurants, other than the hotel one, which is over crowded and over priced for what you get.

Room Tip: Rooms are 4 minutes walk from lobby
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay. We apologize that you felt the restaurant was over crowed and there was an issue with value. Your feedback will help make improvements and we appreciate you taking the time to share your response with us. We are glad that you did enjoy the location and the hotel was clean and simple. We hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future and give us a second chance to provide you with the experience you deserve. All the best, Brandy Frederich, Assistant General Manager, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.

Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

We were not expecting too much from Wuksachi Lodge, given it's location etc, but the staff are very slack - service is a dirty word. The bedding is similar to what I imagine prison bedding would be - scratchy sheet and equally scratchy blanket. The Peaks restaurant promises much but delivers wide of the mark. Adequate at best and largely supported by the location.

Stayed: August 2014
PropertyExecutive, Manager at Wuksachi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you for commenting and sharing your feedback with us and other travelers. We are very disappointed by your recent experience. Please accept our sincerest apologies for not having succeeded at making your stay a positive memory. I assure you that this is typical of the lodge and wish that you would have spoken to a manager so that they could have corrected these issues for you immediately. I would like to obtain more information on regarding your experience so that I can follow up with the staff. If you have a moment please contact me at 559-565-4070, ext 602. All the best, Brandy Frederich, Assistant General Manager, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed at Wuksachi as a last minute decision. We actually had reservations at another location, but because of a freak snow storm, we couldn't travel any further up the mountain. Wuksachi just happened to be the highest point and we pulled in to see if they had space. Fortunately for us they did.

The service at the front desk was actually very good. They were very helpful and tried to be very accommodating. They also helped make dinner reservations for us since part of the trip was to celebrate my father-in-law's birthday and my son's birthday. The lobby was typical of what you would find in a lodge in the middle of the forest. Small, but quaint. We were thinking maybe it was divine intervention that led us there since everything was going pretty smoothly and the lodge looked pretty nice.

However, as we entered our room, the idea of a great lodge quickly diminished. We booked a Superior Room on the 3rd floor. It was the largest room they had available since we had 4 adults and 2 young children with us. The alcove where the pull-out sofa was situated included a small fridge. Water was leaking from the fridge and left a spot approximately 2 feet in diameter at the foot of the fridge. I immediately called the front desk and they sent someone up within 5 minutes. The first question from the technician was, "Did you do this?" Though annoyed with the accusatory tone, I pointed to our still packed luggage and noted that we just checked in so therefore we did not do this. Her solution? She took a towel from the bathroom and put it over the soaked area and told us to avoid the area.

The room itself was ok. It had a very musty, dated smell. The bathroom wasn't as clean as we'd expect for the price. Because Superior Rooms are all corner rooms (and this was the last room available), we had a great view of the snow though! Thankfully the heater worked and we all stayed warm through the snow storm.

While the rooms were less than ideal, there were other things that we liked about Wuksachi, such as the fantastic views.

I'd stay here again, but certainly not as a first choice given the price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your comments. I see you stayed with us back in April and this was a last minute booking during a late spring storm. We are pleased to read that we were able to accommodate your needs, but apologize there was some gaps in service in housekeeping during that time period. We are pleased that you enjoyed the views and that the front desk staff was friendly. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future and give us a second chance to provide you with the service you deserve. All the best, Brandy Frederich, Assistant General Manager, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Beautiful views from the Lodge and we had a nice dinner and breakfast the next morning. We joined the STARGAZING PROGRAM after dinner and was amazed by the amount of stars we could see from that location. It is among the 10th best places to stargaze in the country because of it very low light pollution it omits.

1  Thank aarthur67
PropertyExecutive, Manager at Wuksachi Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, your dining experiences and the location. I am always excited to read that are guest participated in the naturalist programs and it made a impact on the experience. Please come join us again and perhaps you will get to participate in the Dark Sky Festival. All the best, Brandy Frederich, Assistant General Manager, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Note: I really wanted to give this 3.5, but no such option exists.

Prior to this we had just stayed in two other DNC properties that we were extremely unsatisfied with (Tenaya Lodge and John Muir Lodge) so our expectations were low. The good news is that Wuksachi is much better than those two.

The room itself was fine. Clean and nice. The location is perfect. The bad is that if you are not on the ground floor, you have to carry your luggage up and down stairs.

The employees were a mixed bag. Some, such as Jerrelyn (sp?) at the front desk and Laurie in the dining room, are excellent. But OTOH, one of the front desk people completely dropped the ball on a room request we made and the dining room has some bad servers. In particular at breakfast, their only job appears to be to drop you the bill.

It's bad enough the Internet access is only in the lodge building and not the rooms but the worst is that you can barely read your email. Forget about using the web. While there, I needed to do a little work that involved just text based web sites (nothing needing bandwidth) and I couldn't even get that done.

Now this isn't Wuksachi's fault, but AT&T lies on their coverage map. They showed coverage there. Every once in a while, you can get momentary coverage so a text or two can go through, but that's it.

Finally, the food. The breakfast is pricey, but okay. Dinner was the problem. The execution was very inconsistent. First, I ordered Venison medium. I was brought out burned meat. I had to send it back. The next one I got was good fortunately. The next night my wife ordered it and it was cooked without seasoning. Then the final night, she ordered pork chop and the middle was raw (not a little pink but raw). Had to send it back. By then, I had given up and just went with the burger. Also, had broccollini cooked two different ways on different dishes - both were failures. Given the price range and the dishes, you expect consistent quality but Wuksachi doesn't deliver. I do feel the situation can be fixed if the kitchen was better managed.

Overall, I would stay there again. My concern is that DNC hasn't treated Tenaya (which used to be awesome) or John Muir well and that Wuksachi may take a turn for the worst.

Room Tip: Get a room on the floor where the entrance is.
1  Thank idontknow123

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We do apologize that there were inconsistencies with service and the food. We will certainly work on addressing our gaps and making continued improvement. Your detailed comments allow us to meet as a team and work to resolve these issues as we move forward. We appreciate your time in writing a response. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the location, the room and several of the associates. Please come visit us again. All the best, Brandy Frederich, Assistant General Manager, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

we arrived late at night (1am) and were given a map to our top floor room. Car park was partially lit due to being in the park, so we only say the steps, resulting in struggling with 2 heavy suitcases, to find there are no lifts either. Did no one consider that UK travellers would have heavy baggage in comparison to local travellers to maybe give nearer or lower floored rooms? The stair well that we used throughout our 3 nights stay had had rice spilled down all 4 flights, and at no point during out stay did any member of staff make any effort to clear it up. but the worst part was that on my first night I started my period and bled a little on my sheet. I left these in clear sight for housekeeping. When I came to get into bed the next night I found that the housekeeper had just remade my bed with the same sheets on. I had to call reception and ask from clean sheet to make my own bed.

When we tried to get information from reception staff during the stay they seemed poorly informed with any local knowledge and were unable to help any of our enquiries.

The location was outstanding though with prompt, clean and efficient free transport around the park which allowed us to travel without using our car for a couple of days.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. We are disappointed to read the items you have noted and apologize for the impact on your vacation. I assure you this is not typical of our operation and will certainly share your feedback with the Executive Housekeeper & Front Desk Manager so that they may research and address the training gaps in the rooms and local knowledge. All the best, Brandy Frederich, Assistant General Manager, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
John Muir Lodge
John Muir Lodge
#2 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Montecito Sequoia Lodge & Summer Family Camp
Montecito Sequoia Lodge & Summer...
#3 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Cedar Grove Lodge
#4 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Lazy J Ranch-Americas Best Value Inn
Comfort Inn & Suites Sequoia Kings Canyon

Been to Wuksachi Lodge? Share your experiences!