All reviews crystal cave bear box kaweah river visitor center falls trail creek running blue jays fire pit tent sites great site creek bed ft rv pine needles shady spots dogs are allowed water spigot nearby trails
Reviewed 24 June 2018

One of my life-long desires has been to experience the tall sequoia trees in California. We took an RV trip out there and camped at Lodgepole Campground. To get there we took a seemingly endless twisting road, since our vehicle was at about 22 feet, the longest that could navigate the even tighter twists on the shortcut road, but the trees enroute were outstanding. The campground had a well stocked visitor center and gift shop where you could buy firewood. The sites were rather close, but the tall trees interspersed between them seemed to make the sites feel more spacious. There was even a creek running behind the sites. Campers were friendly and the children and dogs well behaved. The sequoia trees, however, were the highlight of my trip! 3000 year old trees, 26 stories high! How do you adequately describe that! The trail for disabled travelers, wheelchair accessible, was my favorite! Although I have trouble walking I could get up close to the trees, put my head way back, and experience the dizzying effect that creates because of the height of the trees. Go experience the "ancients"! It is something you will never forget!

Stayed: June 2018
1  Thank camaas
Reviewed 24 June 2018

Great campground.
Some highlights/considerations:
Soap and paper towels in bathrooms
Beautiful river running through site which provides a nice background noise so that you don't hear other campers. Some might find it a bit loud though, depending on sensitivity to that sound and location of campsite.
Amazing visitor center which was extremely well-equipped with high quality food, wine, beer and other camping "needs". Showers were good (3 mins for 1$)
Very short walk to shuttle which easily connects you to amazing local hikes
Would stay here again for sure.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2018

My husband and I went tent camping there and the place is absolutely amazing! nature everywhere and the sites are spacious and all under trees. Our site was close to the water so we had that peaceful noise all day and night. Every site has a bear box to storage your food and anything that might smell like food to bears, including toiletries. They have many bathrooms with flush toilets around the campground and coin showers by the entrance, so you would have to drive there in order to use them. Nice and clean. They have an amazing Market and Souvenir Shop with a Grill as well. Very close to the National Park, very convenient. The only thing to be aware of, the Campground is pet friendly, but the National Park isn't. It was our mistake to just assume it would be since all campgrounds were. Pets are only allowed in the National Forest. Best bet is leave your four legged one at home.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarFer15
Reviewed 11 June 2018

We stayed for one night in early June at site 171. Campground is rocky and rugged but very pretty. a raging river runs behind site 171 which is fantastic. We had a small camper and the paved pad isn’t very long so we parked our car sideways in front of it. Bear box is provided. Didn’t see any bears but did see a marmot and 3 deer. Bathrooms are typical for a national park. VIsitor center/ snack bar / general store are a short walk away. The weather was cool and brisk in early June, I would love to visit again when I have more time to explore.

Room Tip: Sites that back up to the river are wonderful, check size beforehand if you have an rv.
Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mbtravels
Reviewed 4 March 2018

I've been visiting the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park for several years, and between the General Sherman Tree, the trail head for the High Sierra Trail, and a brief hike up to Cahoon Meadow - this is a must visit spot in the California mountains. The campsites are a great option for those who don't have the equipment or the physical fitness for backpacking, but if you're up for it, hike up to Twin Lakes, 9 Mile Creek, or a myriad of other options.

Stayed: September 2017