Dorst Campground
US$121
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
US$88
Wuksachi Lodge(Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park)
  • Restaurant
Montecito Sequoia Lodge & Summer Family Camp(Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Cedar Grove Lodge(Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park)
No availability for your dates from our partners
John Muir Lodge(Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park)
  • Free Internet
All reviewsbear boxessmall creekgiant forestfire pitflat areasequoia grovebeautiful sitebig treesflushing toiletsspent nightsno electricitystony creek lodgethree nightsloopcampersbearscampground
Reviewed 2 August 2008

My friend and I stayed at Dorst campground in Sequoia National Park recently (in 7/08). Between the two of us, we have 4 children, ranging in ages from 7 to 10. While the campground is beautiful and convienent (halfway between Lodgepole and Grant's Grove) we had bears in our campsite each night, even though we stored our food and other provisions in the bear proof lockers. We followed the rules and didn't leave out our food and trash, but campers in other campsites did not follow the rules, so we had bears coming through our campsite to access the messy ones. I don't feel the rangers at Dorst did enough to enforce the campground rules, and let some campers get away with repeatedly breaking them, which put everyone camping at Dorst in danger from the bears. In my opinion, some of the campers should have been asked to leave after repeatedly breaking the rules regarding storing their trash and food items. Also, not mentioned in the National Park website, there is a mountain lion that is currently making it's home in or near the Dorst campground. Along with the 10 minute bear talk, we were also informed about the mountain lion when we checked in at the ranger station at Dorst. The mountain lion was spotted every day while we were staying at Dorst. We were warned to keep our children very close, not to let them go exploring near our campsite because of this mountain lion. The bears in our campsite each and every night were unsettling enough. The mountain lion was just too much. We had a reservation for 4 nights, but left one day early because of the problems with the wildlife. I would definitely visit Sequioa again with my children, but I would not camp there -- the bears have learned that humans are a source of easy food and is just not safe to camp there any longer. I should mention that I have camped extensively, including camping in Sequioa many years ago, when bears were not such a big problem. The bear problem is so bad now that it really ruins the experience.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
15  Thank lsgCalifornia
Reviewed 25 July 2008

I really enjoyed Dorst Campground. We stayed at site 156. It was really huge. We had an RV and two tents. The spot was near an embankment that went down to a small creek. One of the guys we went with went fishing in the creek and caught some small fish. There was not a whole lot of shade during the day, but some closer near the trees. The first morning we were there deer wandered through our campsite! Check out the campground map, and you will be able to pick out a great campsite. Some of them are really close together. 160 looked nice too, it would be big enough for a tent and car, but not much else.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank red-headtraveller
Reviewed 2 August 2007

My family and I stayed at Dorst for three days and we had absolutely no complaints. It was great all the way through. There are a few creeks and hiking trails and there isn't a dull sight around, everywhere you look it's absolutely gorgeous. When you get there the rangers give you a good ten min bear safety talk becasue Dorst does have many black bears. We did see one bear just outside of our camp at about eleven p.m. but as soon as we made a noise the bear took off. Just take care of your things and follow the rules and you won't have a problem. I highly reccomend this camp, i've been there twice and it's easily one of my favorite camp sites i've ever been too. Great people, great wilderness, great camping!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank eyeamjames
A TripAdvisor Member
la verne, california
Reviewed 20 December 2003

Dorst Creek, Sequoia is the place to go if you're looking for peace and quiet. The sites are pleasant with many trees. Wildlife is abundant with lots of deer, and of course, it wouldn't be real camping if you don't come across your typical, sweet-toothed California bear once in a while. If this happens, just bang some pots and pans and yell LOUD! The park rangers are there in no time to chase the bear back into the woods. Don't be afraid...Remember, we're hangin' on their territory.
Besides, they're just a little hungry (for food that is - not people).
Just remember to keep your food locked in the metal bear boxes. The only thing is, if you want to shower, you have to take a 20 minute drive to Lodgepole campground. But, the scenery on the drive is absolutely breath-taking that I didn't even care! I would rather stay at the calming & relaxing Dorst Creek than at the very congested Lodgepole any time. Sincerely, A Very Happy Camper

79  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Dinuba Ca
Reviewed 5 March 2003

If youre going to Sequoia Park, skip Lodgepole and stay at Dorst Creek instead. Campgrounds are generally larger with more space between campers. The creek isnt much but it makes up for it with wildlife. On any given weekend here, you should spot deer which will wander through cmapground in morning hours, bear, marmot, and a host of birds, squirrels and other creatures. This is my favorite cmapground in the parks and a soothing balm to the soul.

106  Thank A TripAdvisor Member