“The kids loved it”
Review of Boyden Cavern

Boyden Cavern
More attraction details
Owner description: A 45-minute guided tour takes you into a wondrous world deep beneath the 2,000-foot high marble walls of the famous Kings Gate. Massive stalagmites, delicate stalactites and splendid arrays of crystalline formations are a visual treat. Boyden Cavern is in the deepest canyon in the United States. Open May - October.
Reviewed 10 November 2013

It's a little bit of a short but steep hike up to the cavern entrance. My 2 year old was able to do it with my assistance. The kids loved hearing about the history of the cavern and seeing the formations. The temperature inside is just right. We were wearing jackets before entering the cave and had to take them off once inside. A light sweater is perfect.

1  Thank A A
in 3 reviews
"rocks"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Boyden Cavern is located on the floor of Kings Canyon about halfway between Grants Grove and Cedar Grove (right next to the Kings River). It is directly off the Kings Canyon Scenic Byway road so it is very easy to find. This cave is easier to visit than the Crystal Cave in Sequoia National Park as it is right off the main road (the Crystal Cave is not in a convenient location and takes some hiking to get there).

Boyden Cavern is a huge underground cavern and is open 7 days a week in the summer from 9:30 am - 6:00 pm, with walking tours departing every hour on the hour (I think the hours are reduced in the fall). The first tour departs at 10:00 am and the last tour leaves at 5:00 pm. I believe they will take up to 40 people on the 45 minute tour and there were about 25-30 people on our tour. Groups follow a well-lighted trail and guides point out the highlights and formations. Reservations are not required. It is about 55 degrees inside so I recommend you wear a sweatshirt.

I went on a Wednesday afternoon in July with my wife and thought it was interesting. Our tour guide was excellent and talked about the history and geology of the cavern in detail. The guide seemed to like her job and was very enthusiastic. Before the tour starts you have a brisk uphill walk to get to the cavern opening (the path is steep but there are places for you to stop and catch your breath). While we went on the basic 45 minute tour, they also offer full and half day Rappelling and Canyoneering tours but that was way too advanced for me. The tour guides are in National Park Service like uniforms but this is a privately owned cavern.

The tour is interesting as there are lots of cool formations to see. They also turn off all the lights at one point so you can see how dark it is in the cavern. Since there is no light in the cavern it is absolutely pitch black inside. There is a streambed running through the cavern and we walked this on our way out. They give you the choice of turning around and walking back the way you came or walking through the dry streambed. You end up in the same spot but I liked walking the alternate route (I think there is water in the spring so this may not be an option at that time).

Boyden Cavern is a must see attraction if you have driven down into Kings Canyon (I would not make a special trip down the windy canyon road to see it). This was not one of the top things we did on our vacation but we enjoyed it and I recommend it.

2  Thank rockyjoe
Reviewed 10 October 2013

First off, that staff is very friendly and helpful.

Our guide went above and beyond to make sure everyone enjoyed the tour.

We took some visitors from Europe and they really enjoyed the tour and the pet spider in the gift shop. I highley recommend visiting this natural wonder.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Is worth the walk up steep path to cave entrance. Fantastic formations inside are unbelievable and guide very knowledgeable. There are some narrow and low portions so you need some agility. We chose this over Crystal Cave since it's easy to get to, and requires less time.

1  Thank Kathy984
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We took our grandkids (age 6 and 8) during our trip to King's Canyon. They had toured the cave two years prior and were excited to visit again. Our tour guide was really enthusiastic and made sure the kids had a good experience. When exiting the cave, I took off my jacket and my camera tumbled down a huge ravine that was littered with leaves and rocks and fenced off from the public. (very steep) The tour guide took my email in case the camera would ever be found. I was so amazed to get an email a couple of days later stating that a member of the staff had recovered it and it would be mailed to me. The camera was full of precious photos from our trip. Really above and beyond usual customer service!!

3  Thank Christi324