“Rewarding View for a Little Effort”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bearfence Mountain

Bearfence Mountain
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular scenic area.
New Prague, Minnesota
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Rewarding View for a Little Effort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

My wife and I hiked this trail while on vacation with our friends. We've visited about half of our National Parks, and finally made it to Shenandoah. Hiking is one of our favorite activities, and this trip was no exception. Bearfence was the first hike on our list, and it didn't disappoint. It's not a very long hike, and if you're in decent shape you should be able to handle it; even the rock scramble. Though I understand the reason for this hike being rated 'strenuous', in my opinion it's not as tough or dangerous as some reviewers make it sound. Angels Landing in Zion NP, and Precipace in Acadia NP are By far tougher and more dangerous. Take your time, don't rush, and you'll make it to the top where you'll experience splendid views. Definitely a hike to put on your list if you're fortunate to make it to Shenandoah NP.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Brett T

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Amazing short hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I took my three boys on this hike ages 9, 7, 6. I wasn't sure how it would be but the boys and I loved it. It was challenging exciting and the views were amazing. Anyone with boys in shenendoah should definitely check this hike out!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Docolove
Brighton, Michigan
96 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Hard Hike and Beautiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

I am an experienced hiker and I found this hike a real challenge. It starts as a steep hike, then a rock scramble and then an easy walk back. We did about 1/3 of the rock scramble and turned around. Why? I was worried I would fall. You need to have strong arms and some courage to scramble the rocks with conviction....this I don't have since I just had knee surgery. We did see almost 360 from where we were. We retraced our steps back to the A.T (you cross this getting to the rock scramble) and followed that to the 180 degree view...instead of the 360 view...that was really easy and worth it!!!

Visited July 2013
Reading, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“So !glad we overcame our fear”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

This is only 1.2 miles, but a 50 plus years old we found it scary and challenging. Longer than 30 minutes but less than an hour. There is one rock that's about 2 feet wide and right next to a 50 foot fall, with a fairly challenging climb. Wow, we were both glad we did it because the reward was a view that's spectacular. Both directions, east and west had beautiful valleys that went on for miles. About 3500 feet elevation. Need hiking boots but sneakers will suffice.

Visited June 2013
5 Thank Lovethebeach100
Kent, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“easy, although somewhat scary climb with rewarding views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

Along with my sons I have enjoyed this rock scramble for many years. While not an exhausting climb, there are some breathtaking drop offs. As young children my two sons enjoyed it. As adults today it still provides a good time.

Visited June 2012