“Awesome short hike!”
Review of Bearfence Mountain

Bearfence Mountain
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular scenic area.
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Awesome short hike!”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This was a very different kind of hike. We had a great time with it! It is steep all the way up. There are great views once you get most of the way up. You'll be close to the top and on top of a couple big boulders. This is the best view. Once you get all the way to the top, there aren't as great of views (in our opinion) - it was also a cloudy day, so this might have impacted us at the very top as well. Either way, we definitely recommend this hike to anyone who is in the park and has time for a short, steep hike. It has some "rock scrambling" involved meaning you aren't just walking but using your arms and legs to hoist you up the boulders you see along the way to get to the top. It is a great workout and can be done in an hour top to finish, if you are in decent shape, no problem. We were going quickly on purpose to make it up and back down before sunset and to get a purposeful workout. It is a fun hike!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank jasonlauren

New Prague, Minnesota
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Rewarding View for a Little Effort”
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

My wife and I hiked this trail while on vacation with our friends. We've visited about half of our National Parks, and finally made it to Shenandoah. Hiking is one of our favorite activities, and this trip was no exception. Bearfence was the first hike on our list, and it didn't disappoint. It's not a very long hike, and if you're in decent shape you should be able to handle it; even the rock scramble. Though I understand the reason for this hike being rated 'strenuous', in my opinion it's not as tough or dangerous as some reviewers make it sound. Angels Landing in Zion NP, and Precipace in Acadia NP are By far tougher and more dangerous. Take your time, don't rush, and you'll make it to the top where you'll experience splendid views. Definitely a hike to put on your list if you're fortunate to make it to Shenandoah NP.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Brett T
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Amazing short hike”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I took my three boys on this hike ages 9, 7, 6. I wasn't sure how it would be but the boys and I loved it. It was challenging exciting and the views were amazing. Anyone with boys in shenendoah should definitely check this hike out!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Docolove
Brighton, Michigan
96 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Hard Hike and Beautiful”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I am an experienced hiker and I found this hike a real challenge. It starts as a steep hike, then a rock scramble and then an easy walk back. We did about 1/3 of the rock scramble and turned around. Why? I was worried I would fall. You need to have strong arms and some courage to scramble the rocks with conviction....this I don't have since I just had knee surgery. We did see almost 360 from where we were. We retraced our steps back to the A.T (you cross this getting to the rock scramble) and followed that to the 180 degree view...instead of the 360 view...that was really easy and worth it!!!

Visited July 2013
Reading, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“So !glad we overcame our fear”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

This is only 1.2 miles, but a 50 plus years old we found it scary and challenging. Longer than 30 minutes but less than an hour. There is one rock that's about 2 feet wide and right next to a 50 foot fall, with a fairly challenging climb. Wow, we were both glad we did it because the reward was a view that's spectacular. Both directions, east and west had beautiful valleys that went on for miles. About 3500 feet elevation. Need hiking boots but sneakers will suffice.

Visited June 2013