“Rock Scramble is Legit”

Old Rag Mountain Hike
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I am an avid hiker, and I definitely underestimated the rock scramble that is part of this hike. That being said, my husband and I had a great time and would definitely recommend it. WATCH THE WEATHER FORECAST! We knew there would be afternoon showers so we started early and hiked as quickly as possible with the goal of being past the summit before it started raining. We made it! However, now that I have seen the rock scramble, I can assure you this was a terrible idea! Be stuck in the middle of the rock scramble in the rain would be incredibly dangerous. The hike was lovely - but not worth it if it is going to rain. I wish the skies would have been clearer so we could have had better views. We felt a sense of accomplishment when we finished and had a great time. We are 29 and 30 and in relatively good shape. We purposely tried to hurry and made it in 5 hours.

3  Thank MaegUT07

Reviewed 17 May 2014

All the reviews are spot on - this is a great hike. But on a warm day we saw a ton of people heading up in the afternoon (as we were headed down) dressed in workout gear (shorts and a shirt) and carrying a small bottle of water. We felt a bit silly with our hydration packs, snacks, rain gear, first-aid kit, etc. About 3 PM the black clouds came rolling in with torrents of freezing cold rain, high winds and a 25 degree drop in the temperature. We missed it, but I felt for the dozens for folks up on the mountain and not prepared.

1  Thank George K
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I came here on a weekend in mid-April, hoping not too many people would be heading out here yet since school is still in session and all.

We had heard it can get packed, so we aimed to get there early to ensure a parking spot and hopefully less people. The parking area wasn't too full but there were definitely people there already starting. I'd peg it at about 1/8 full when we arrived around 8:30am.

There was constantly people in front and behind us during the hike and we were either passing people or being passed. There were precious few moments when we could walk alone and enjoy the solitude. Even though were were one of the earlier ones, as the boulder scrambling came about, there was a little bit of a line (maybe 3-4 people in front you had to wait for). The Old Rag peak was large enough that we could find our own little area to take photos, but again, you have people milling around. I can see this hike getting very crowded if you come here late and I'd imagine the boulder scrambling line to get pretty long since some passes are narrow enough for one person at a time. If you are looking for quiet solitude, this isn't it. It does have some great views and is a good workout.

We got back to the parking lot around 1:30pm. On our return trip we saw masses of people starting their hike. So relieved we weren't doing this at the peak hour. The parking lot was also pretty darn full, with a handful of spots opening up from the people who arrived earlier in the morning and are starting to leave. Its a worthwhile hike but I have to reiterate--don't expect quiet solitude and GET THERE EARLY!

1  Thank Sweet P
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I live within 30 minutes of Old Rag and have done it often. It is a ten mile hike up a mountain and crawling across granite rock scramble. The whole loop is about ten miles and can take 6-10 hours. Be sure to take food water band aids appropriate clothes including a pair of gloves for grabbing onto granite in rock scramble. It will save fingertips. This is rated as a very difficult hike so should consider both length of hike and gaining altitude. If you start up the Ridge Trail side, you will get the most difficult part up front. The back end is a fire road and easier at that end. Get there early as parking is limited(by early, before 9 on weekend days). Park service fees apply and a ranger is usually on hand. Expect crowds. I am very slow, take lots of breaks and there are many places to pull off trail and rest. Tough but one of the best experiences I have ever had hiking. Views from the top are killer!

If you want a hike with less of a climb, Nicholson Hollow Trail is at the same location and does not climb the mountain but goes around.

2  Thank Linda B
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is a very good and rewarding hike. You hike for a few hours in a forest and then you reach the rocky top part and climb around and over large boulders until you reach the top. The view is amazing.