“Loft Mountain Campground.........Wonderful experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shenandoah National Park
Loft Mountain Campground
Climax NC
“Loft Mountain Campground.........Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

My family and I spent a few days at the Loft Mountain Campground last August. Not only were the camp sites well spaced with lots of foliage, the wild life was abundant. We had deer and rabbits constantly walking through our camp site at all hours. And if you are interested in seeing bears, well there are plenty. People it was so sad though to see that they had to put up some bear traps because some inconsiderate campers didn't head park rules and left their food out. The camp store was very well stocked with everything you could need or forgot. The only negative we had were the showers. They cost a dollar to use, (no big deal) but most of them were out of order. I would recommend this campground to anyone who asked. In fact we liked it so much that we are going to spend two weeks there this summer.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank helen d

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I have also stayed in Big Meadows and Matthews Arm at Shenandoah NP, but Loft Mountain is my favorite. Sites are well-spaced and surrounded by substantial foliage, allowing for some semblance of privacy. As others have mentioned, the A walk-in campsites also have spectacular views. In my experience the bathrooms are also much cleaner and more updated than in other campgrounds.
The one downside is that while the bathrooms are clean, there are few of them and are not well-spaced -- we had a long, long walk to reach them late at night!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank mysticetacea
Boones Mill, Virginia
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This was our first visit to Shenandoah National Park. We stayed at the Loft Mountain Campground in our RV. There are no hook-ups, however, bathrooms were close by. The showers were located at the camp store. About a 1/2 mile walk. We saw a bear just outside the camp store on the Fraizer Discovery Trail. He was up in a Hickory tree eating Hickory nuts. He slowly came down the tree when he saw us and just walked off. We also saw a baby bobcat cross the road. Neat place to see lots of wildlife.
I especially liked the privacy we had at our site, unlike what I have heard about Big Meadows campground.

The campground is situated on top of Loft Mountain and offers beautiful views of the mountains. The only downside to this campground is that it is a long distance drive to some of the other major areas of the park. But, that is what you get when enter National Parks anyway.
We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank drpoff
Charleston, SC
Reviewed 8 August 2011

2 showers in the entire campground and they cost $1 for five minutes. Not opposed to paying for a shower but if that's the case they should be worth it. Very average cleanliness for a shower facility only open 9 hours/day (open 8 am to 1 pm and then again from 3 pm to 8 pm)...can only imagine what condition they're in during peak season! Rangers in check-in area very nice but have a very archeic way of operating...no idea who has what spot. Many of the first come, first serve sites "reserved" and unavailable when we arrived and no one ended up showing...therefore we ended up staying at a less desireable site. Campground is 20 minute drive from access from north and 40 minutes from south (hwy 64). Store good. Firewood $5 plus for about 6 pieces. Bought firewood for guy in Elkton...none sold at any other stores in towns. Sites very close to each other...very close. Saw black bears and deer in site. Very beautiful scenery but large let-down for "national park" campground. Restaurant at bottom of hill ok. Make no mistake however, glorified public pool snack bar (run by Aramark...maybe the park could get Aramark to also run the shower facilities?). Bring Dramamine if venturing out of the campground. Watch out for park "cop". Apparently he's still angry he didn't make it into the Elkton Police Academy!

• Stayed August 2011
4 Thank scbusinesstraveler75
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We are a family of four (Mom, Dad, two daughters-13 and 15) and fairly hardcore tent campers. Loft Mountain is our favorite "front country" camping in Shenandoah. This is located in the lower half of the park in the "wilderness" area. It is possible to get a decent wooded tent campsite, right on the Appalacian Trail, in the A8 area of the campground. The A8 area is first come first serve (A8a is our favorite, but all in this section are good). The A10 area is also first come first serve tent camping. HOWEVER, A10a and A10b can be reserved--these two campsites are not only on the Appalacian Trail, they have an absolutely spectacular clear view of the mountains and a million dollar view in the fall. I always find it frustrating when I am trying to locate campsites for places that I have not been, so I hope this will be helpful to those of you who are planning to come to Shenandoah and hoping to find the right site. If you are an RV camper, this is also an excellent campground. The sites are very easy to pull in and out and most have a reasonable sized hedged area in each site for privacy--I hate that "middle of the field" feeling no matter how I'm camping. The A 25 area is particularly nice nand part of it is reservable. I hope this is helpful and that those of you who visit have a wonderful time. The hiking ís fantastic!

Room Tip: See above for my idea of the best campsites
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
64 Thank MatildasFamily
Elizabeth City, NC
Reviewed 13 December 2010

We've been to this campground every summer for the past three years, usually in June or August, and have always found it to be a pleasurable experience very time. Personally, we tent-camp and as long as we stay in one of the tent-only loops, the atmosphere is quite stunning away from generator noise from RVs elsewhere. The campground's location on top of the mountain produces stunning, unobstructed views of the nightsky. A campstore, laundry and showers are located a few hundred feet downhill from the campground, a restaurant-giftshop-gas station complex are located further down the road at a juncture with Skyline Drive. An amphitheater with ranger-led programs also runs, usually on the weekends. Lastly, the Appalachian Trail also runs on the periphery of the campground, so access is easy from multiple points.

• Stayed August 2010
9 Thank ec_globetrotter
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 29 October 2010

We loved our visit to Loft Mountain. We were here Oct 22-25th. My husband and I and 2 children ages 3 and 1. I believe we stayed in site F120. It was a busy weekend we did not have reservations. We got there around 1pm on Friday and luckily they had spots open. They did not fill until Saturday. Reservations are recommended especially in the summer and fall. I was told that this campground was full the last 6 weekends. The other campgrounds like Big Meadows fill first.

Our site was clean and private with trees and plants surrounding it. It was very quiet at night. It was in the 70's during the day but got cold at night with the wind. The first night is was down to 36. I would recommend bringing plenty of warm clothing in the spring and fall just in case. I think it is usually windy at night.

The bathrooms were heated and clean. It was a little bit of a hike. There are showers by the Camp store. Those were nice and heated. There is a nice camp store for supplies. There is a small Wayside restaurant that sells hot dogs, burgers, fries and things. I wish we would have brought more to cook with. I kind of got tired of that kind of food but that is just me.

We did not see any bear but did see plenty of Deer and they came right up to our campsite.

We did go to Big Meadow that was fun to visit and see the Meadow area. I'm glad we did not camp there though. Although it was nice I think I liked Loft Mountain more. It was more private and campsites were further apart.

I would recommend this campground to friends and family.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Days Inn Luray Shenandoah
Skyland
Skyland
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park

Been to Loft Mountain Campground? Share your experiences!