Skyland
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Free Internet
2,343 results
All reviewsdining roomskyline drivehorseback ridingshenandoah valleystony manpremium roomgift shopceiling fanhiking trailstraditional roomspectacular viewscoffee makerdining hallfried chickenget awayblackberry ice cream pielive music
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Skyland is lovely and peaceful and the Appalachian Trail runs right through the property. in addition, the food is good, much of it locally sourced. However, there is a good way to make your reservation and a terrible way that will cost you extra. The right way is to call 877-247-9261. Local people can even answer the phone and they will help you get the best room with no booking fees. DO NOT USE THE NATIONAL PARK BOOKING SERVICE, which unfortunately comes up first on a Google search. Their number is 866-875-8456, and not only will you get an added 10% booking fee, the operators do not always have access to the best rooms/best prices, and you could get a more expensive room. Unfortunately, the National Park booking service makes reservations for about 38 parks. I imagine there is a better way to book at any park. Buyer beware! I got some of my fees waived after complaining and changing my booking through the right source. I understand that others have complained to the correct people to book the resort with! I hope I save everyone some exasperation and money.

Jennie from Florida

Room Tip: The best views are in buildings at the bottom of the slope from the restaurant. My favorites are Cragin, Winchester, and Hazeltop.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jennie J
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at Skyline Resort on the weekend of June 20-22 of 2014. I was planning to see the park by means of an Appalachian Trail section hike, but before I did that, I decided to visit the park with her in a more traditional manner. We greatly appreciated the pet friendly rooms, which also came with the best views in the entire resort, and among the best in the park. The food at the restaurant was also excellent. I rarely spend much money visiting parks, preferring to hike and camp, but this weekend splurge was well worth it.

Room Tip: Pet rooms are actually the best!
1  Thank FritzCrestlineCA
Reviewed 26 June 2014

we found it to be more than was expected. ours was the suite as that was the only available room/rooms. people have to realize that this establishment was built many years ago, and not recently. it takes you back to a place in time that most of the current population does not know about. all in all we were very satisfied and will certainly stay again.

1  Thank Billy H
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is a stop about mid way down Skyline Drive. We booked a regular room, but we were upgraded. Beautiful upstairs rooms with very nice touches. It also had a fabulous balcony facing the valley. Unfortunately we were socked in with fog the whole time we were there.
That too has its own beauty, being in the midst of the clouds floating by!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if available and second floor room.
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The title says it best. We've stayed here numerous times in various rooms, and while this review will be specific to one room, this review will be typical of the resort. Travelers should understand that this is a resort in a National Park. You can expect a room that is quite dated, ours was in a cinder block building painted red, it was a bit musty, there were, and always are, crawling insects, caterpillars, and other non dangerous crawlers as found in all damp mountain cottages. You'll have to walk or drive to the restaurant, but again this is a national park setting. The old shower head is not up to standards, and the shower curtain will constantly blow inward to stick to you. The mattress is not the newest, but we did get a good nights sleep. There was a TV in the room, but it was at least 15 years old and not very good. One pet peeve is with the idiot group that planned, bought, installed, and approved the installation of the air conditioner. They installed it below the knee high window, blowing upward into a very heavy curtain. As a result, the window is cold, but the room is warm. You really can't leave the curtain open on ground floor rooms, because people walk right buy your large window when you are changing or sleeping. Only and idiot crew would approve of such an installation. Of course, the fix is simply to remove the curtain and install blinds that aren't in the way of the AC air flow. Ok, now that I've turned you off, remember that this is a beautiful national park stay, and yes we would and do return often. Do I wish someone would buy this resort and upgrade it the way it deserves? Yes, of course, but come to Skyland, enjoy, and just know what to expect. Above all, don't drive back down to some busy town in the valley to avoid these accommodations, just know what to expect.