“26th anniversary”

Skyland
Ruckersville, Virginia
“26th anniversary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

The reality is undergoing renovations, but is still an excellent get away. The staff does an excellent job even in the pouring rain. Recent changes in management companies are both good and bad. A great stop along the way or a quick get away. Nice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kawridr78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

This resort was incredible. Views and wildlife were incredible. It is a great place to come and relax. You can go hiking and see some waterfalls. The wildlife was unbelievable. We saw deer and chipmunks. They came so close it was great.

Room Tip: A room overlooking valley
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

This was our first visit to Virginia & Skyland was our last stop on a road trip so we were looking to chill out before returning to the UK. This was just what we needed, we stayed in one of the cabins (Pine Grove) and had the rear portion of the property, which was fine for the 2 of us. Pine Grove was built in 1911 but isn't the oldest property, it had some modern amenities but still had that rustic & simple feel. The beds were very comfy & it was so quiet at night, partly because we couldn't figure out how the air-con worked or even if there was any but the nights were nice & fresh so we opened the windows & didn't miss the air-con at all. The shower cubicle was a little dated but clean and the shower pressure/temperature were just fine.

The setting is fantastic, although the cabin didn't have views directly across the valley they are never far away, and we did have a resident chipmunk that seemed to live just outside our door! And the lack of light pollution meant we spent time each night just star gazing from the chairs outside the cabin.

Check in/out went without a hitch, we didn't use the restaurant but did eat in the Mountain Tap room a couple of times & would certainly recommend the turkey burger. One 'must have' is a torch, this was essential for the walk back down the path from the Tap room to the cabin.

There are plenty of hikes to choose from, with a few starting within the Skyland area, the Stoney Man trail is well worth doing for the views and no too taxing. Others such as Dark Hollows Falls & Millers Head are a bit more tricky and a sturdy stick will help with some of the steeper & more uneven sections.

Overall this was a great way to unwind at the end of a busy trip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JaneMc46
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed at Skyland this past weekend. I booked my trip very last minute and after reading reviews, I was a bit apprehensive about what my room would be like. I was very pleasantly surprised. I had a wonderful view of the valley, the bed was great, and room very clean. I think if you have noisy neighbors, it would be a bit loud as the soundproofing is not great between rooms, but I lucked out. I booked the Spectacular package and received $50 in food vouchers which came in very handy as I hadn't even thought about what to do for food.

The hikes the rangers recommended were great--my favorite was Rose River Falls. There are a great range of hikes in the park, but know that most start from Skyland drive so you will be walking downhill first and then uphill at the end.

I ate at the Taproom in the evening. The bartenders Matt and Eric are great guys--very funny and friendly even when things get really busy. The menu isn't huge, but it's fine...my favorite was the cheese plate--it's enough for 2 or 3! They have a small but good selection of beers on tap, and the nightly entertainment was a bonus.

This was my first trip to the park and I will definitely be going back--hopefully during fall foliage season.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the upper level rooms facing the valley for the best view!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I traveled here for a wedding with my girlfriend. Wonderful experience, and great views! Can't beat the accommodations in this area for the price! I loved the room (we stayed in Trout) and had an incredible experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Milton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

My first visit to Skyland and this particular area of the U.S. The resort setting was fantastic with some great vistas from the main lodge and cycling the skyline drive did not disappoint. The staff were friendly in all areas of the resort and worked hard to ensure our stay was as enjoyable as possible. If I were to visit again I would request one of the rooms with a view over the Shenandoah valley.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank HobsonsVelo
Big Bear Lake, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Awesome natural beauty and rustic charm. Stayed in cabins 2 nights. It didn't bother me not having TV, but it bothered me not having Internet. Even the connection in the lodge was down half the time we were there. For that much money I would like a refrigerator and microwave. I was told you can rent a refrigerator for $11/night. Very comfortable and relaxing, except kids were kind of loud on the playground, and workers started making all kinds of racquet at 7:00 both mornings! Otherwise, I slept great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
#4 of 9 in Luray
Days Inn Luray Shenandoah
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
BEST WESTERN Intown Luray

Been to Skyland? Share your experiences!