“Best place to stay for Zion experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Zion Lodge

Zion Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
phila pa
“Best place to stay for Zion experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Spent 2 nights in cabin at Zion Lodge and can't say enough good things! From check in to check out all was perfect! Staff friendly and helpful.
Cabin we stayed in was clean,comfortable, well appointed and even had a fireplace ! The views are spectacular and this is truly the best way to experience Zion .
Book early though to avoid disappointment.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank travelmompa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Hebrew first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

This historic hotel is located right in the heart of Zion National park. The park shuttle buses call directly to the hotel which means you can get around easily to see the park and do the various hikes. The room was clean with good air conditiong. We had a balcony to overlook the park and had deer eating grass right in front of our room. There is a cafe area to have lunch, an icecream or a beer ( no wine) and a restaurant to have our evening meals which were very good. Wifi is avaialble only in lobby area but is free.

Harpenden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

As other reviewers have said this really is the best place to stay and really get a great experience of the park. It is the only accommodation in the Zion Canyon and the location is spectacular.

The cabins were cute and very well appointed. They are much newer and more modern than any others we have stayed at in the national parks (Bryce, North Rim and certainly Yellowstone Lake). They have lovely wooden floors and are much lighter and brighter.

Our cabin had 2 queen beds and enough space for us and our 2 boys. The bathroom was also light and well equipped and the additional basin and closet area was useful. There was no fridge (this seems to be the norm for Xanterra, but Forever Resorts provide fridges). We managed with our chiller and ice from the machine.

Each cabin has a porch with a bench so you can sit out and relax at the end of a day hiking.

Our favourite NP accommodation to date.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rachel K
Haverhill, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Staying at the Lodge is really the best way to have a true Zion experience. There are options just outside the park in Springdale, but there are so many more benefits to staying within the park. Anyone staying at the lodge is given a red sticker to allow you to drive your vehicle to the lodge. Others are not allowed to drive to this point and must take the shuttle. The people that we saw on the crowded shuttle looked hot and unhappy. You do still need to take the shuttle to go anywhere beyond the lodge, but it is easy to catch from the lodge itself if you are staying there. But more important than the ability to drive your car - you get to experience the true peace of the park. At night, after the crowds have left, it is so beautiful. The lodge has a large green where deer come out to intermingle with kids playing catch, etc.. The grandeur of the park is all around. It is just a great feeling. Especially at sunset and early morning light, it is beautiful. We stayed in a cabin and had a tremendous view from our little porch. The room itself was a little tight for the 4 of us, but so quaint that we didn't mind. I wish they had queen sized beds and not full size, but at least there is air conditioning and an overhead fan. The wifi did not work at all, we couldn't stay connected for more than a minute - but hey, we were there to enjoy the park and it was a good excuse to not have to do any work ! We had one of the furthest cabins, so perhaps wifi is better in a cabin closer to the main building. We didn't go into the hotel type sections of the lodge - but those rooms in the front appeared to actually have the best views of all of the park - especially on the second floor. They did not seem nearly as quaint as the cabins though. The cabins had safes, which is nice to lock up your valuables when you are out hiking. There is a separate sink area, which made it useful for someone to use while someone else was in the bathroom. Please note that Zion does not sell water in bottles - they offer free water refills if you use your own bottle. The water they provide is from a spring and it is delicious - so we saved a considerable amount of money in not having to buy bottled water. If you forget your bottle you can buy one in the gift shop. Also, the "cabins" are not actually stand alone single units. There seem to be 3 or 4 connected together. But they put the doors on different sides of the building, so you have the impression that you are in a stand alone building. We seemed to have quiet neighbors, but I don't know if there might be a sound issue otherwise. Most people staying there seem respectful of the atmosphere. The hotel staff were all very courteous and accommodating. But this review would not be complete without mentioning the food issue. Normally I would separate the food from the hotel, but in this case, you are basically trapped there and so the entire experience - food and lodging - are related and run by the same organization, so it is appropriate to group the rating. There is one restaurant, for which you need to make reservations, and then a hamburger type stand at which you can buy sandwiches, icecream, etc. This stand also serves breakfast items. We'll call it a snack bar. My family is not the type for an expensive sit down meal at a restaurant (and it did appear to be expensive), especially when in a national park. Since we didn't really know how our day was going to go and didn't want to have to shorten a hike just to get back for a restaurant reservation, we opted to not make a restaurant reservation and instead to eat at the snack bar. While we had a pleasant enough experience for all of our breakfasts, with the clerk trying very hard to be accommodating, the other experiences there were unbelievably bad. On the first night we walked in 50 minutes before closing time. The only thing on the menu that my daughter really liked was pizza. Who would think that would be a problem? But the cashier told me they were all out. I said that was okay, we would wait for them to cook some more. She said, "Sorry. It is 45 minutes to closing and that's just too late to cook another pizza. That would be wasteful." I told her I would buy a whole pizza - what is the cost? She said they would only sell it to me by the slice (which was going to cost about $25 for a pizza !) and even if I was willing to buy it that way it was just too late for them to cook it !" Now keep in mind, it was something like 5:45pm - I am not talking 9:30 pm or anything like that. They were just absolutely the laziest people I had ever met. They weren't willing to cook a pizza even if I was willing to pay for it. So my poor daughter starved - we had to buy peanuts and granola in the gift shop for her instead. Sure enough, the next day I encountered equally bad service with yet other servers in that same stand. I will tell the story briefly just because it was so ridiculous. We had ordered some french fries. We wanted some salt for them (after hiking and sweating, we really needed the salt). Nobody would help me get salt. A simple condiment. First I was told "look by the coffee". Then "look by the ketchup". Then "we only have salt shakers on the tables outside" (which in itself is just strange, because the tables are often all filled - so I guess they expect you to intrude on another patron and take their salt?) I informed them that we were sitting at a table already and there were no salt shakers at the outside tables. In fact, there were no salt shakers on any table. Anywhere. None in sight. I asked them to please point to one. No help. I finally asked to see a manager. With great attitude she literally asked me "What is your problem?". She again told me there are salt shakers on the table. I had to ask her finally to please go out to the tables, get a salt shaker, and put it in my hand. She was then gone 10 minutes. 10 minutes. To find salt. She finally came back with a fancy salt shaker from the restaurant and slapped it into my hand and sarcastically said, "Have a nice day". (As a side note - funny thing, next morning at breakfast on the counter was a tray filled with about 30 or 40 cheap plastic salt shakers - it would seem these were the missing salt shakers from the outside tables. I guess someone found them somewhere.) Anyway, this was the start of our "national parks" vacation and I braced myself for a long series of bad food service personnel, but that turned out not to be the case. The remainder of our trip was delightful - and so it only further served to highlight just how horrible the servers were at Zion. There is also no refrigerator in the room, so you are limited in terms of bringing in your own food for sandwiches, etc.. Despite the food difficulties, I wouldn't let that stop me from staying there again. There is nothing like staying within the park itself.

Room Tip: Book early so you can stay in the park.
5 Thank JuneConway
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is all about location! The views are spectacular, the restaurant next door is nice, and being able to have this as your hub for the park shuttle service is very convenient. The room was relatively spacious for our family of four, but a bit dated. Pretty typical if you've stayed in other motel style national park lodges. Perfectly comfortable and clean. The high price is due to location and demand, not due to the luxury of the accommodations.

2 Thank Rob J
Billings, Montana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

This place is awesome! We were greeted by mountain goats as soon as we drove in and could watch deer lounge on the lawn the entire time we were there. Our room couldn't be any cleaner! We were comfortable and enjoyed looking at the stars from our deck. Our meals were excellent. After dinner we enjoyed the Ranger presentation, and enjoyed our hike the next day. It is a little spendy but we feel it's worth it. We highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2014
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Wonderful quaint, western-style cabin! The room was compact, but spotless and the décor charming. All modern amenities were provided, including safe. We liked the separate sink area and the hard-wood floors. Sitting on the peaceful porch was a delight. Wifi was good. Located right in the center of the canyon with its convenience to hikes, horses, and restaurants is a huge bonus. A fireplace was in the room in case of cold weather.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express Springdale - Zion Natl Pk Area
Flanigan's Inn
Flanigan's Inn
#5 of 16 in Springdale

Been to Zion Lodge? Share your experiences!