“Our Honeymoon Experience”

Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort
“Our Honeymoon Experience”
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon, and what a wonderful experience we had. The manager, Michael, found us the perfect campsite with a gorgeous view. The receptionists at the front desk were friendly and helpful. The restaurant was delicious. The whole experience was memorable and we plan on coming back for our first anniversary.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Melissa M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I'm torn on how to review this place. We came in an RV and got a spot which was one of the 'back in' spots. Bummer, but my husband backed in like a pro (it was a rental RV, we aren't used to this!). Most others were pull in spots. My In-Laws decided to splurge on a cabin because spending two weeks in an RV with 6 people, they wanted a little break.

So we spent $35'ish a night for an RV hookup and they spent $200 a night for a cabin.

Here are the cons:

- back in spot which wasn't level
- The sewage was FULL (eww!) so we couldn't connect and dump
- no maintenance for the sewer, they never came
- breakfast was bad for the in-laws - we didn't get it being in the RV hookup
- front desk were not up to standards (talking among themselves and not helping)
- Run down conditions in the bathroom, showers, and pool (more on this later)

Here are the pros:

- Beautiful place and views
- Bathrooms received maintenance after I noticed things breaking down
- So many activities for kids
- Short drive into Zion

I would completely come back here for a family vacation and do more pool time, hikes, ATVing, and spend a few nights not even leaving Ponderosa Ranch.

The first night I was a bit disgusted though. The bathroom sink faucets were broken, one soap dispenser didn't work, they have paper towels instead of dryers (save the trees!), the showers were slightly gross with hair clogging everything... As I mentioned above, the sewage was full and no one ever came out to empty it or apologize.

However, the next night I noticed that they fixed the faucets! The morning I walked up to go to the bathroom, the cleaning crew was scrubbing out the showers.

So I'm not sure if they need MORE OFTEN cleaning of the facilities or what? It's not cool when you notice that stuff though.

The pool was freezing but it was 90d out so the kids got used to it. They LOVED the slide. The pool walls were disgusting and there was notices up that they were fixing it but it was the beginning of summer. When will they fix it?

When we checked in, the guy was super helpful. He didn't seem to know anything about backing in, or helping us... but he was nice. The next morning there were three people up in front and the girl sitting there didn't seem bothered to raise her head and ask how she can help. My Mother in Law wasn't happy with it.

So for OUR price, it was great. I would come back. For $200 a night, maybe not. :) Really beautiful area though.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kristi D
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My friend and I used the Livingsocial voucher at $119 for 2 nights including 4 activities vouchers for the cowboy cabin. I bought 1 voucher and my friend bought the 2nd = 4 nights at Zion Ponderosa. The check in process was quick and pleasant. The cowboy cabin consisted of 2 queen bunk beds and a pulled out couch. Pretty much better than expected. You will use shared restroom and showers (not a big problem for us on the first 2 days, but on the 2nd and 3rd day there were more guests so you might have to wait 30-45 mins for shower room availabilities). There is a continental breakfast included with your stay, however don't get too excited....the options are limited and most people won't considered this "continental". For our activities vouchers, you just need to go straight to the BARN and sign up for your desired activities. My friends and I paid $11 each to buy one more ticket to do the ATV 2 hrs drive (there is an option for 1 hr). It was pretty fun and allow for you to explore the other side of Zion.

Overall Zion Ponderosa Resort is a reasonable place to stay during the off season - I wouldn't recommend to stay here during Peak Summer Travels since I can foresee issues with too many guests. It is a lot cheaper than staying near the park, but you will need 30-40 mins drive from Zion Ponderosa to get to the Visitor Center - Zion National Park. I highly advise against driving to the resort late at night (after 9pm) because you will miss signs pointing to the resort (there is no lights on these paved road to the resort).

Room Tip: If you have any disabilities, request for your room to be near the restroom/bathroom upon reservatio...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Lara, Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Staff were polite, the cabin was clean and tidy but the place was run down. It's clearly not what we saw in the brochures. Only stayed one night and got a refund on the second after seeing the poor condition of the horses.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Michael T
ZionPonderosa, Public Relations Manager at Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Recently our wrangler rescued a horse from another location and is bringing it back to health, and this is one of the horses that was seen by this guest. We have spoken with the humane society about our methods for caring for our horses and they have assured us that we are doing a great job. They are well fed twice a day and are well taken care of.

We are a mountain ranch and not everything at our resort is flowers and curb and gutter. We have made additional recent efforts to enhance the grounds on the ranch, and to improve any worn items.

We appreciate feed-back and are always willing to make improvements where possible. As you can see by our overall rating, most of our guests are very pleased with their experience with us.
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The staff here are super nice! Our rental home, "Sunrise," was fabulous. The activities we selected, horseback riding and ATV riding (twice) were absolutely spot-on. However, the place does need a clean-up. I have never been to a "resort" where so much of the operational aspects of the place are visible to guests. Staff housing, their ATV shop, extra wood storage for campfires, etc, need to be shielded from view of the guests. Having these things visible to guests makes the place look cluttered and unkempt. The restaurant was just "so-so." It was open for business, but service was slow, the food quality was low and to quote a restaurant worker, "we are out of everything." In fact, we ate in Orderville on our last night there. The road inside the resort needs work. Give me a month, and I could clean this place up to make it look more like a "resort."

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed in a rental home called Escape to Zion and it was wonderful. We had a family reunion there and the house was big, beautiful and just perfect for all 12 of us! We did participate in some of the resort things - like the pool but is was early May and not really warm - the boys did skeet shooting that was fun - I am not really rating the resort but the home in which we stayed!! Hopefully we can come back in 10 years and stay again - the house can sleep 22 people!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Everything about our experience was WONDERFUL. We initially wanted to stay in the RV park but there wasn't any availability. The reservation agent asked if we would like to be placed on their waiting list. We were. When it got closer to our arrival date and I didn't hear of a cancellation, I called and asked if it was possible for us to dry camp at their facility since our RV has a generator and is fully self-contained. They were able to accommodate us.

When we arrived a nice gentleman by the name of Hunter welcomed us at the entry. He escorted us to the Frontdesk and then to our dry camping area. Usually I don't remember people's names but I remembered Hunter's name because we kept seeing him and he always stopped and asked how we were doing. He was so friendly with our two boys.

We participated in the mini-golf as well as the zip line activities. Both were wonderful. The staff at the Activities Barn were so nice and sympathetic when my youngest son decided not to do the zip line.

In closing, I can't wait to go back and spend more time enjoying the resort and saying "Hi" to Hunter! What a great trip.

The Harhays.

Cliffrose Lodge & Gardens
#3 of 16 in Springdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,802 reviews
La Quinta Inn & Suites at Zion Park / Springdale

Been to Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!