“Should've Booked a Longer Stay - Outstanding”

Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort
oklahoma city
“Should've Booked a Longer Stay - Outstanding”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Since the lodge in Zion Park was booked we decided to get a cabin at Zion Ponderosa Ranch for two nights. At the time our son was six and wasn't up for all the hikes in Zion so we scheduled him for the kids camp. Outstanding and Great Idea for Mom and Dad! That was the first time my wife decided to leave our only child with total strangers and while she worried all day, when we returned to pick him up that afternoon, he wasn't ready to leave. He was introduced to zip lining and horseback riding as well as playing games and swimming - all in one day. As for the cabins, they were nice and the skies at night - fantastic. We brought our telescope along and that was worth the extra luggage space. We also booked a sunset jeep tour and had one of the grand kids of the owner as a guide. It was a great night on the property. I would highly recommend staying at the resort and if we are ever up there again, we'll book a few additional nights and enjoy all the amenities. Also, just a short drive to Zion although when we were there construction slowed us down around the tunnel. But nothing we wouldn't do again even if there was construction.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Folsom, California
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed at the Zion Ponderosa for 3 nights. The first night we were in the wagon, which was a little cramped for a family of 5, with no electricity and no outlets. The next two nights, we were in a Cowboy Cabin, which was much more comfortable. Our stay included a wonderful breakfast, which was one of the best complimentary breakfasts we have had anywhere. There is a lot to do even if you don't ever leave the resort. There is a swimming pool (actually almost 2 separate pools with water slides and hot tub), mini golf (once you pay, you can play unlimited mini golf for your entire stay), a rec room with ping pong tables, pool tables and a foosball table, all included with your stay. They also have many other activities offered, with a small fee (zipline, ATV, horseback riding, rock climbing wall, to name a few. ) The only negative that I have to say is that for part of our stay, there were several large youth groups and girl scout groups at the same time. The bathrooms were very messy during that time, and there was no soap or paper towels. I feel as if the staff should be checking their facitilities and re-stocking a little more often when they have large groups there, to ensure that everything is clean and everything is plentiful. Aside from that, we had a great time and would definitely like to visit again.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here over Father's Day arriving Saturday and leaving Sunday.

We checked in around 630 pm so the recreation window was closed. On this Saturday night we attended to Rodeo and did nightime zipline. The kids enjoyed the zipline.

We rented a cowboy cabin, it was OK. We had a shared fire pit, yes you need to bring your own firewood or purchase for 7.00 in the general store.

We woke up the next day and the kids did the mini atvs, zipline, horse riding, and wall climb. For kids under 11 there won't be too much to do. If your kids are ages 11-16 they will really enjoy it.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at Zion Ponderosa! You will too if your expectations are correct- this is not a luxury resort. If you're expecting something along the lines of a Beaches resort in the mountains, you'll be disappointed. The closest analogy I can find is a Church Youth Camp. In fact several youth groups were there using the property for exactly that. The Cabin Suites are nice, but could use some updating. Minor things like shower curtains that are too short and wobbly appliances could easily be fixed. Beds were comfy and the fireplace in the cabin was a nice touch, although we didn't need to use it. The grounds are nice, and they work to keep them updated. The pool area was nice but the tiling was in need of repair. Water was very cold for us Floridians, but that didn't stop my daughter! The best thing about this resort though is the staff, the people here are the nicest I've *ever* met. Can't say enough about them! We will be back. The location was perfect for a base camp for exploring Zion and Bryce Canyon.
We were surprised and disappointed with the cost vs. quality of the food. The pricing was high (although it was high to us throughout the region, we discovered) and the quality was inconsistent. Some was good, some was downright poor. Our original plan was to stop in Hurricane at a WalMart and bring in some munchies and microwavable food- that didn't happen and was a big mistake. It took us a while to find good places to eat- the nearby German Bakery in Mt. Carmel was excellent, as was the Pines restaurant near Bryce Canyon.

We didn't use much of their recreation, but what we did, we enjoyed- the mini golf course was excellent, the horseback riding was fun (our guides Jasmine and Hunter were *outstanding*) and my daughter loved driving the little ATV. Next time I want to do a "Jeep" Tour. (but you should know they're not actually Jeeps, but other 4x4 vehicles.)

There was a plot of land labeled Organic Garden that looked overgrown and unsightly, but on the last day they had a youth group from SLC refurbishing it.

Room Tip: We stayed in Cabin Suite 7, which was in a good location near the main building and restaurant, but...
2 Thank John B
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon, and what a wonderful experience we had. The manager, Michael, found us the perfect campsite with a gorgeous view. The receptionists at the front desk were friendly and helpful. The restaurant was delicious. The whole experience was memorable and we plan on coming back for our first anniversary.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Melissa M
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I'm torn on how to review this place. We came in an RV and got a spot which was one of the 'back in' spots. Bummer, but my husband backed in like a pro (it was a rental RV, we aren't used to this!). Most others were pull in spots. My In-Laws decided to splurge on a cabin because spending two weeks in an RV with 6 people, they wanted a little break.

So we spent $35'ish a night for an RV hookup and they spent $200 a night for a cabin.

Here are the cons:

- back in spot which wasn't level
- The sewage was FULL (eww!) so we couldn't connect and dump
- no maintenance for the sewer, they never came
- breakfast was bad for the in-laws - we didn't get it being in the RV hookup
- front desk were not up to standards (talking among themselves and not helping)
- Run down conditions in the bathroom, showers, and pool (more on this later)

Here are the pros:

- Beautiful place and views
- Bathrooms received maintenance after I noticed things breaking down
- So many activities for kids
- Short drive into Zion

I would completely come back here for a family vacation and do more pool time, hikes, ATVing, and spend a few nights not even leaving Ponderosa Ranch.

The first night I was a bit disgusted though. The bathroom sink faucets were broken, one soap dispenser didn't work, they have paper towels instead of dryers (save the trees!), the showers were slightly gross with hair clogging everything... As I mentioned above, the sewage was full and no one ever came out to empty it or apologize.

However, the next night I noticed that they fixed the faucets! The morning I walked up to go to the bathroom, the cleaning crew was scrubbing out the showers.

So I'm not sure if they need MORE OFTEN cleaning of the facilities or what? It's not cool when you notice that stuff though.

The pool was freezing but it was 90d out so the kids got used to it. They LOVED the slide. The pool walls were disgusting and there was notices up that they were fixing it but it was the beginning of summer. When will they fix it?

When we checked in, the guy was super helpful. He didn't seem to know anything about backing in, or helping us... but he was nice. The next morning there were three people up in front and the girl sitting there didn't seem bothered to raise her head and ask how she can help. My Mother in Law wasn't happy with it.

So for OUR price, it was great. I would come back. For $200 a night, maybe not. :) Really beautiful area though.

1 Thank Kristi D
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My friend and I used the Livingsocial voucher at $119 for 2 nights including 4 activities vouchers for the cowboy cabin. I bought 1 voucher and my friend bought the 2nd = 4 nights at Zion Ponderosa. The check in process was quick and pleasant. The cowboy cabin consisted of 2 queen bunk beds and a pulled out couch. Pretty much better than expected. You will use shared restroom and showers (not a big problem for us on the first 2 days, but on the 2nd and 3rd day there were more guests so you might have to wait 30-45 mins for shower room availabilities). There is a continental breakfast included with your stay, however don't get too excited....the options are limited and most people won't considered this "continental". For our activities vouchers, you just need to go straight to the BARN and sign up for your desired activities. My friends and I paid $11 each to buy one more ticket to do the ATV 2 hrs drive (there is an option for 1 hr). It was pretty fun and allow for you to explore the other side of Zion.

Overall Zion Ponderosa Resort is a reasonable place to stay during the off season - I wouldn't recommend to stay here during Peak Summer Travels since I can foresee issues with too many guests. It is a lot cheaper than staying near the park, but you will need 30-40 mins drive from Zion Ponderosa to get to the Visitor Center - Zion National Park. I highly advise against driving to the resort late at night (after 9pm) because you will miss signs pointing to the resort (there is no lights on these paved road to the resort).

Room Tip: If you have any disabilities, request for your room to be near the restroom/bathroom upon reservatio...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
La Quinta Inn & Suites at Zion Park / Springdale
Hampton Inn & Suites Springdale Zion National Park
Holiday Inn Express Springdale - Zion Natl Pk Area
La Quinta Inn & Suites La Verkin - Gateway to Zion

Been to Zion Ponderosa Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!