“Very very good!”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Very very good!”
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

I have been to the pub and restaurant over the years and it was mostly hit and miss. That has all changed. The place is definitely on the rise again and I have no doubt that it will soon be difficult to get a table without booking.
We have eaten in the restaurant and the bar on five occasions in the last two months and can say that the food and the staff are excellent.
The Sunday Carvery is top drawer with ambiance to match, thanks to the pianist.
The Burger meal in the bar is very good and filling.

I'm glad that this place has come round again and I look forward to many more enjoyable family outings there.

A quick mention to the two Barry's, they go the extra mile to make your visit a enjoyable one.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank A L

belfast
“Amazing food and reasonably priced”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I ate here on a midweek lunchtime and was pleasantly surprised. The menu was varied with so many dishes I would have loved to have tried. I decided on the gammon with clove gravy and it was melt in the mouth delicious. I opted for garlic chips rather than the creamy mash and they were perfectly flavoured and not at all greasy. they were presented nicely in a small chip basket holder like the type you deep fry your own chips in! Everything was full of flavour and perfectly cooked and I will definitely return to sample more of whats on offer.

3 Thank travelmumBelfast
“Suprice sunday visit”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Just home from the villager and had to post this note....its been a while from my last visit..but I have to say I was delighted with todays experience. ..food excellent (burger) and the staff were very welcoming ....delighted to see so many people about it this evening..keep up the good work

3 Thank austrilia1
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Dinner”
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Myself and family went to the villager for a sit down family meal. We were greeted with a friendly member of staff and were quickly seated. Our drinks order was taken and menus given straight away. The menu was disappointing, the selection of food wasn't great considering we were in the restaurant. It was an over priced bar menu in my opinion.
When the food came out 40mins later it was lovely to be honest, I couldn't fault it.

The villager needs to review their menu, prices and ambiance.
The restaurant had lights hanging off there sockets on the wall and I thought the place could use a little TLC and refreshed decor.

The staff In the villager are always very friendly and most helpful.

Villager C, General Manager at The Villager, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Hi Becky C,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

Im glad to hear that you enjoyed the food and the service while dinning with us. I am not sure as to why you waited 40mins for your food. I can assure you that this is not the norm. I have worked with Chef Brian for 5 years and speed of service is certainly one of his (and his team's) attributes. If we did not offer you any explanation as to why you waited 40mins, and you had no starters I can only apologise.
I would also like to know which light was hanging off the wall as this represents a health and safety issue which I would be very keen to address.
The Villager has recently been taken over by new owners, who have significant plans for the place, and very much intend on giving it some TLC. Indeed it has been a while since the villagers last refurb and may be due one in the near future.

In relation to the menu and the prices, I feel our prices reflect the "prep" that goes into making each dish. On the outset the menu may appear simplistic, but take our chips for example. The potatoes are bought in, we wash peel and hand-cut them fresh. Unlike many restaurants we do not use frozen chips or other products.

Our menu has recently changed however, we now have our 4our 7even 4our menu.
starters are £4, mains £7 and desserts £4. You can also add a bottle of wine for £10. This is available Monday - Friday 4-9pm
We have also added more restaurant style dishes like "Daube of beef". This is a slow braised Jewish fillet slow-cooked for 3 to 4 hours in a rich pearl onion and red wine jus, with creamy mash, oven roasted carrot and onion.

If you would like to discuss your visit further,
please feel free to contact me.

I sincerely hope to see you and the family again soon.

email: info@villagercrossgar.co.uk

Food perfect!
Service fantastic!
Wine selection brilliant!
Deserts mouth watering!

Very cosy!!! Feel welcomed and important! Must try the new villager! Not what I expected to be honest!

1 Thank Tory201
Villager C, Head Chef at The Villager, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Thank you for your kind words and I'm glad that you enjoyed your experience at The Villager Crossgar. You have clearly seen what we have to offer in our new dirrection and there is plenty more to come

Regards