“Yingge Ceramics Museum”

Ranked #15 of 530 things to do in Xinbei
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The first modern ceramics museum in the nation, The construction of the New Taipei City Yingge Ceramics Museum was first proposed in 1988 and opened to the public on November 26, 2000. In twelve years, it has become the leading county museum in Taiwan and the first professional museum wholly dedicated to ceramics.
Melbourne, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Yingge Ceramics Museum”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

If you like pottery and ceramics you will love this museum. Easy access by train from Banqiao station.

Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
NY, NY
326 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 285 helpful votes
“Interesting for Ceramics Fans”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This destination requires a commuter train which I took out of Taipei Main Station. If you have an EasyCard, (highly recommended if you are staying in Taipei for more than 3 days and use mass transit often) go to the Information Booth located to the left of the ticket counter and ask for the time of the next train that stops in Yingge.

I exited from the wrong side of Yingge station and wounded up taking almost an hour to get to the museum since I walked in a rather secluded area that was a public park with many bike paths. I finally saw some signs leading to the museum after stopping at a ceramics warehouse that seemed to attract day trippers arriving by bus.

The museum contained a nice selection of items and I can understand some boredom if you are not "into" ceramics. I visited on Friday in April so no classes were offered. The information booth is to your left after entry where you can pick up a brochure or audio guide. There are rotating and temporary exhibits. A restaurant/cafeteria is on the lower level.

Situated behind the museum are outdoor ceramic sculptures and waterpark play area that features stationary hard colorful balls which seem to float in the water. It was a hot and sunny day, I would have been tempted to dip my feet in the water but the attraction does not open until June.

I tried to visit Old Street afterwards but gave up when I stopped seeing any signs. I asked a few people but they did not speak English.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Dushi-NY
Taipei, Taiwan
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Neat museum”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We went here with our son 20 months old thinking there would be a fun activity he could do.kids have to be older to participate in activities. That was a let down for us. There was some amazing ceramic pieces and history in the museum though. It was just difficult to see everything with a kid in tow. During the summer they have a water area out back that looks like fun though. We'll go back to check that out.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank TWNTVLR
Taipei, Taiwan
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“excellent museum”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

When i read the reviews, i kinda underestimated this place. I took a train from TMS to Yingge that cost me 31 NTD for half an hour of journey. The trip was pleasant. I reached there in the afternoon of Sunday. After i exit from the station, found DIY Pottery shop on the street, spent an hour or two in this lovely shop with talented painter who taught me how to draw chinese flowers. I enjoyed it very much. The next walk was to the museum. It looked pale from outside. A pool and some moon and colorful clouds design greet me. They matched with the stiff appearance of the museum. This museum was beyond my expectation. It was so clean, filled with details abt pottery. They cud give u the audio translator , u just need to give them ur ID card. I love spending hours here. There were exhibitions when i came and one of them was Picasso. Dont forget to check their backyard also. All i know i feel spiritually and artistically enriched that afternoon

Visited January 2014
1 Thank neena2709
Minneapolis, Minnesota
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Excellent place to visit in Yingge”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We had heard Yingge Ceramics Museum was worth visiting, so we were pleasantly surprised to see such a modern building with a nice selection of pottery that has no entry fee.
The museum really does a wonderful job showcasing ceramics in many forms, and explaining the basics, the different kind of kilns available, techniques, history and much more.
What I liked most is how relevant they make ceramics in this day and age. There are many interactive displays and it explain how high-tech industries are utilizing this noble material in order to improve their work.
I would definitely come back, as the main exhibitions change often and it was very interesting.

Visited December 2013