“Love everything about it!”

Chiufen (Jiufen Old Street)
Book In Advance
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Toronto, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Love everything about it!”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Lots of great food, great souvenir shopping, fantastic people, small tea shops with an excellent view.... This place feel so different from anywhere else, you can certainly spend a whole day there. You wouldn't want to leave!

The only cons are: hard to find a washroom (don't expect it to be clean), and too many tourists it was hard to walk

Visited October 2013

• Vietnamese first
Hong Kong, China
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“avoid weekends, beautiful scenary but overcrowded with tourist”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

If you want to try authentic local restaurants, and try some locally produced food products (e.g. Tea, cakes), it was a good place to go. We booked a private taxi to go here, and it's a place where you could hang around for at least half day, full of local restaurants, and beautiful seaview! Avoid weekend as it was really crowded even on weekdays! We had a tea and bought some locally produced pork snacks - very tasty!

Visited September 2014
Penang Island, Malaysia
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Crowded with tourist, but worth to visit”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

This is the historical street, very interesting experience for me, there are many little shops selling different handy crafts, many street snacks and local food product for souvenir. I really enjoyed walking up the street seeing different things that hardly see in my country.

You must come very early and leave early, about noon time will be very crowded, many tour buses visiting here, we have difficulty to find seats for lunch. Our driver advised us not to visit during weekend or public holiday, you hardly can walk into the entrance of the street.

You can take MRT to Zhongxiao Fuxing station, exit from Sogo, across the road take bus number : 1062 (bus stop is in front of a steakhouse, couldn't remember the name) you can straight go to Jiufen Old Street. That day when we arrived Zhongxiao Fuxing was late in the morning, so 6 of us decided took a 7 seated taxi (NT$1200) which save a lot of traveling time for us, but we took bus (less than NT$100) from Jiufen back to town, it is very convenient and the buses are frequent.

This is the place worth to visit but must be there very early. There is a Gold Museum but unfortunately was closed during our visit. You might need to find out the operation days and hours, must try the beef noodle there.

Visited May 2014
3 Thank Valerie C
Singapore, Singapore
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Hillside shopping”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Love the many crafts shops and the atmosphere. The food stalls serve the local favorites. It's an interesting stop and should be included in the itinerary.

Visited March 2014
Singapore, Singapore
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Great historical place to visit in Taipei.”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I have heard from friend about Jiufen in Taipei and I decided to give a try during my trip here. Yesterday I have plan a day trip to Jiufen and I took train from Taipei to Ruifang . We were told that we can reach Jiufen either by bus or by cab. Their standard package direct to Jiufen cost NT$180 and if you want to go sight seeing round the island before heading to Jiufen the price will be NT $1000. The taxi driver will show you around their main attraction area and will drop you at the place and let you have time to take picture and look at the scenery the whole tour took nearly about 2 hrs plus.
Jiufen is located at the hill top and it's quite far from the station and you probably need to take cab or bus to there. It's an old street market which you can find a lot of store selling their famous local food, sovernir and also you can watch sunset so if you are planning your trip there please arrange your time to reach there early so you will have enough time to shop, eat and get ready to watch sunset .With my first time experience I suggest you to book a cab back to the train station or you leave the place early to avoid heavy traffic at the bus stop which everyone is rushing back after their day trip. If you want to take cab they will try to occupied the space which mean you have to share the cab with others and the taxi driver will sent you direct to Taipei and it cost about NT$1000 plus depend on how many person you have that is without sharing cab with others and if there is somebody sharing the cab with you they will charge you around NT$300 or $400 per person including child. Plan well before you make a trip to Jiufen.
To my first visit it can said it's quite a nice place to visit. But be prepared very crowded especially on weekend and some more now is a school holiday and a lot of family here are bringing their children out for outing.
Today I went to Shifen and Pingxi I think this two place you can avoid I find nothing interesting. Shifen the waterfall is closed for up grading. And Pingxi is just a small old street nothing can compare with Jiufen old street the only thing that interest me is the sky lantern that's all. It's quite far from Taipei and I think is not worth to go. The weather are super hot those who are planning a trip to Taipei please bring umbrella and also sunblock .
I hope my trip advisor member will enjoy my review. I will be in Taipei till middle of September any interesting place I visit I will share with you guys again.

Visited August 2014