“Better than sleeping on the sidewalk”
Review of Amigo Hostel

Amigo  Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Xinbei
Amigo Hostel
Ranked #28 of 57 Speciality Lodging in Xinbei
Reviewed 14 February 2013

If you find yourself in Taipei and want to save a few bucks, and you’re not put off by shabby accommodation reminiscent of post-apocalypse movies, then this is the perfect place for you.

First, it’s not a real hostel but just a set of private rooms managed by a local family. The family lives off site, presumably in more comfortable surroundings, so nobody is around to respond to queries or provide the daily breakfast advertised in the hostel’s marketing materials. The laundry facilities (also advertised) were also nowhere to be found.

Upon entering the room, I was greeted enthusiastically by three mosquitoes which I had to chase down and swat (but I didn't get all of them as I ended up with a couple of itchy bites at the end of my stay). The room overlooked a major highway (hostel description: “small lane away from big street, very QUIET”), so the rumbling of motorbikes was constant, but thankfully the symphony of vehicle noises became more subdued after 11 p.m. The bed smelled really bad as if it had not been washed in weeks, but I discovered this too late just as I was about to sleep. Given this was not a real hostel, nobody was around to fix the problem.

The hostel’s saving grace is free WiFi. Also, the hot water was good.

The hostel owner / manager is actually very friendly and the hostel appears to be a casually run family business, but perhaps a hard-nosed look at operations and quality control would lead to astounding improvements in guest satisfaction. This in turn could help keep occupancy high, raise daily charge rates and boost profitability. Maybe start by washing the bed sheets?

Anyway, if cost savings is your priority, do not hesitate to choose this hostel. Remember to buy mosquito repellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 January 2013

My wife and I booked a private room for the 2 of us for New Year's Eve 2012-2013. Since prices are usually quite high for staying in Taipei on this night, Amigo's prices were still very cheap. It was also the only place I could find with availability within a cheap budget range, plus we only wanted a place to sleep for a few hours after being out all night so we didn't have many expectations.
Booked our room online with no problems. Upon arrival the friendly reception lady came to meet us outside and show us to the hostel since it is located in an alley off the main street and thus hard to find if you don't know where to look. The location is directly across the street from the Dingxi MRT so very convenient. Our room was VERY small, just enough to fit a bunk bed, a tiny desk, and nothing else. Hard beds but warm blankets. Bathroom is across the hall and I couldn't get the hot water to work even after asking the reception lady (I don't know if this is common). WiFi worked well.

Overall, a decent stay but like a mentioned before, all we wanted was a cheap bed to stay in that was accessible by MRT after a long night out. If this is what you want, or there is limited availability throughout Taipei, this will be a fine place to stay. If you're looking for other comforts and amenities, I would not recommend staying here as there are so many more good places to stay in Taipei.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2009

This place was okay, but be aware of the following: the dogs bark A LOT, and there are NO LOCKERS, I repeat: NO LOCKERS on premises. That's right-- you heard me. If you're travelling light with few valuables, then carry your stuff with you when you go out. Also, you have to be a dog-lover to really appreciate this place. Due to the dogs, it feels grungy (the dogs enjoy peeing in the lounge; however, they don't have access to the bedrooms, so it doesn't affect you directly.) Don't leave stuff in the lounge, or the dogs will somehow eat it. So, it takes a grungy and dog-adoring traveller to want to stay here. I enjoyed it myself, but I am admittedly grungy and miss the presence of dogs. There is no internet, and Taipei only has one place with computers: the main library... So, plan to be with limited internet access here.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank guignon
Reviewed 8 November 2009

We checked into Amigo Hostel during our first trip to Taipei in the summer of 2007. The Hostel is located a good 15 minutes walk from the nearest subway station, the Dingxi Station. After a 5 hour flight from Singapore, it was a challenge to find the hostel while lugging our heavy luggage. Located at Yungho district, the Amigo Hostel is far away from the centre of action in Taipei.

After great difficulties, it was closed to 7pm when we reached the hostel. The lady who greeted us wasn't too happy to see us. They were clearly unprepared for our arrival. I had to bring out my confirmation email before they took their time to tidy up the ensuite double room we had reserved earlier.

After waiting for a good 20 minutes, it was horror upon horror to learn that the room we reserved was not located within the same building. Oh yes, there was additional charges for the use of air-conditioner in the room. The lady sent somebody to lead us to another block about 10 minutes away where our room was located. We were just plain tired from our flight and all we need was a nice place to stay.

We nearly cried when we saw our bedroom for the next 3 nights. The double bedroom was only fit enough for 1 person (see attached picture) and bedsheets looked as though they haven't changed for a long time. There was only cold water in the bathroom. We were thankful that it was during the hot summer when we checked in. The TV came from the 1980s era and there was no window in our room.

I'm not very particular when it comes to lodging but certainly the room it must be clean. Amigo Hostel clearly lacked the basic hygiene and the owner was only interested in our $$. Amigo Hostel spoiled our holiday and the memories were still fresh in my mind after 2 years. Certainly, we regretted our decision to stay here. I had since returned back to Taipei for 2 more times and I never had problems with my stay in other budget places in the city.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends