“A very cold stay at Shin Shin”
Review of Shin Shin Minsu

Shin Shin Minsu
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chiayi County
Shin Shin Minsu
Singapore, Singapore
“A very cold stay at Shin Shin”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is an overdue review, my apologies! I stayed here end December 2013 because I wanted something cheap but well located.

We took a cab up Alishan, arranged by Shinshin. Pickup was on time. Emails to the minsu owner was prompt. Partial payment was by paypal - which was no issue.

Minsu is very conveniently located, beside a 7-11, which we got our bus tickets and breakfast from. We had very little interaction with the minsu owner. The staff are people of few words.
To get to our room, we have to navigate through very narrow stairs. Room for 6 is big with loft. The room is 80 percent mattress (LOL!) and we have little space to walk.

I can never forget the cold. We dreaded returning to Shinshin even when we were so tired from trekking. Room is very cold, even in the day in December. The portable heater could only warm up when we are very close to it. We wore winter clothes to sleep, with lots of heat packs under the blankets.

Toilet was Ok. The shower head is fix above the wash basin . The shower area between the wash basin and toilet door is our shower area. There is very inadequate place to hang our clothes and out our toiletries.

Hot water is plentiful and water pressure is always good. Room is rather soundproof with lots of channels.

Now whenever I recall Alishan, it is the freezing cold of ShinShin minsu mostly. Don't remember you holiday for all the wrong reasons and opt for something better instead.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank wonder-luster

Business
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I made an enquiry on the room availability for 31 March 2014 some time in Dec 2013, the person in-charge replied and asked me to pay 50% of the room rate in order to confirm the reservation. Without further delay and hesitation, I made payment via PayPal, on 24 Dec 2013. However, due to some last minute work commitment, we are forced to cancel our trip. I then informed the owner via email (some time between 7-8 Jan) and the disaster started here. The replied I received was a nasty one, telling me that they will only refund me 50% of what I have paid as they are "not supposed" to refund even a cent. I got very upset by the attitude that I checked through their "policies" and noticed that all the terms & conditions are to the favour of owner, and there were a lot of grey area. I listed them out and requested for an explanation. Unfortunately, there was no reply after I have waited for 2 days. They only responded to my email after I told them that I am going to report the case to the authority. Though the sum of money that I have paid (NT750) is not much, but I guess that's enough to show the integrity and honesty of this "special lodging". Go to this place at your own risk!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
12 Thank TessaLiew
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Like Enhui, I loved this Shin Shin Minsu! (欣欣民宿 in Chinese characters.)

Although the rooms are small, but they are comfortable enough. Bathrooms and rooms are nothing to shout about, but are basic, clean and comfortable enough to stay in. :)

The winning point here is the warm hospitality of the owners! The elderly boss invited us to drink tea by the warm fire place, and chatted with us while we were hanging around in the afternoon. The young boss (the son) was friendly and warm too! When he saw that I was so cold, he offered heat packs for free! They even asked if we would like to wear the costume of the minority group and take photos with it! For free! You would feel like family with them if you stay at Shin Shin Minsu.

Although the place is small and slightly old-looking, we will never forget the hospitality and warmth of the owners. I recommended all my friends who are going to Alishan to stay there! Highly recommended for those who want a warm and cosy homestay!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mikayap
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Shinshin is a homestay with the most awesome location - is right next to 7-11 in Alishan, whereas the rest of the other accomodations are tucked away in another lane. It is also a 3-min walk to the train station and that is great especially when you have to catch the 530am train to the mountain peak to catch the sunrise. zzz. Despite this, it is very quiet. We had to climb 2 flights of narrow stairs to get to the room, and though the room is small, it is very pleasant and comfy, all furnished in wood.

Our hosts were a young couple and an elderly couple, friendly enough, and gave us advice on how to plan our route in Alishan, helped us with laundry for a small fee. The elderly man, "boss", was the sweetest, it was freezing so he invited us to help ourselves to brew some tea and laughed cos we had no idea, and on our last day we had to take a coach to Sun Moon Lake and he made sure that we got seats and tried to help us carry our luggage despite being advanced in age. They sell local sweets and tidbits so before we left we bought some from them for keepsakes and they gave us a discount - not profit oriented nor money-minded at all.

I would recommend staying here at Shin shin if you're looking for a homestay and want to experience some local hospitality!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family