“Good for meat eaters”

Ranked #13 of 21 Restaurants in Ellesmere
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Seven of us turned up without booking on a bank holiday Monday evening. The staff were friendly and helpful, the beer was good and the meat-eaters amongst us did well for food. My burger was tasty and cooked just right, served with chips and hand-made cole slaw and a choice of toppings and sauces (I had mushrooms, cheese and home-made barbecue sauce). There were a few vegetarian options on the menu but unfortunately nothing suitable for our vegan friend, who ended up having jacket potato and baked beans for the second time that day.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Well situated pub with good food at reasonable prices. Staff were a little put out when we asked for a table for 9 and they had to put 2 tables together, but the food and real ale made up for grumpy staff!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

upon asking for a small roast chicken dinner for my baby, veg to be blended and chicken just chopped not blended, i proceeded to feed my son when he refused to take anymore food and spat out a very sharp piece of bone about 1 1/2 cm in size and when i approached the Manager Mr Matthew Walley he said "what do you expect it has come off half a roast chicken" even though he knew this was for a baby, he chose to have a bad attitude and refused to take any responsiblity. Needless to say i will not be returing there.

4  Thank Jenny R
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Food was not very exciting. Good ale I was told but no lager on bottle and i did not like the lager on tap. The brothers running the place were not interested in us, but he locals seemed to enjoy their pub. Good for them.

2  Thank 20kjerstin12
Reviewed 2 May 2014

It is a long time since I ate at the Black Lion ,it had changed a lot. We went for Sunday lunch .The menu was good and there was a few specials ,They also offered smaller portions .The dinning room was pleasant and there was lots of room between the tables .The food was good and it was nice and hot The vegetables came in a separate dish. Most of us had clean plates .I think only two of our group had room for a pudding .I thought it was very good value for money .The waiting on staff were very helpful and polite.

1  Thank sporty687