“Great Vacation/Go Blue Angels”
Review of Fort Pickens

Fort Pickens
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors can take a self-guided tour of this authentic fort active during the Civil War and later used as a jail to hold the infamous American Indian chief Geronimo.
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Vacation/Go Blue Angels”
Reviewed 12 July 2004

My husband and I stayed at the campground at Ft. Pickens July 9-11th and we really enjoyed it. If you like camping, then this is the place for you! Ft. Pickens has not been crowded by condos and beachshops, so you can enjoy the natural beauty of the area and still be in driving distance to all of the fun in Pensacola. The beach at Ft. Pickens is beautiful and less crowded than the ones in Pensacola. There are shells & sandollars in the ocean as well as plenty of wildlfe to see. The fort is also interesting to drive through. I highly recommend to stay when the Blue Angels are going to be doing their show! The airshow was the highlight of the weekend. All of the pilots are amazing. The police and sherriff's departments also do a good job at directing traffic in and out of the show. Make sure to bring plenty of water, sunscreen, & bug spray on your camping trip! Also ladies, the bathrooms for camp A do not have plugs, so forget a hairdryer.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

“Great Place!”
Reviewed 23 April 2004

Great location close to New Orleans! We are college students who wanted a cheap vacation, and we got way more than we bargained for! It was clean and beautiful, as this is a protected area. We saw lots of wildlife, and the campground was quiet, neat and clean. This is our little piece of heaven, we will definitely be returning!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“Love This Place (Camping is the life for me)”
Reviewed 28 September 2003

Went camping at Gulf Island Pensacola Fl. the wk of 7-04-03 Some people know it as Ft. Pickens but we know it as a lttle heaven here on earth beautiful place it stormed some while we were there but even that didn't take away from the beauty This is a wonderful place for family camping you've got the bay on one side the gulf on the other and you are on an Island between the two You also have the Old Fort to explore for the history buffs I cant rave enough about this place its a 10+ if you love camping the Ocean, beach, fishing and they are pet friendly then this is the place you are looking for God Bless you all and keep you safe on your trips and enjoy every minute of them The Alabama City Camper's

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“Pensacola Beaches (Fort Pickens)”
Reviewed 6 September 2003

My husband and I went to Pensacola over the Labor Day weekend. Although we love to go to the beach, this time because of the weather we could not get in to the water! They had the red flags out telling people to stay out of the water. Unfortunately and sadly some people ignored them and there were several drownings that weekend. The beach had a lot of seaweed and GARBAGE on it!! PLEASE do not throw garbage on our beaches.Cigarette butts--plastic bags etc. This is one of the last truly beautiful places I know of in America! We will return and hopefully the next time we can get into the water, and the beaches will be cleaner, I have never seen them this dirty before and I have been going there for over fifteen years.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member