“ON THE FENCE ON THIS ONE FOLKS”

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Pensacola Beach
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Pensacola Beach
Reviewed 15 August 2011

this hotel was nice on the outside but lacked severely on the inside. I guess my first sign was construction going on outside (see picture below) The outside was fabulous two pools, pool side bar huge deck an of course the coveted beach access.. although the trek from the hoel pool property through the sand to the beach was a mission and a half unlike the hotel next door had a huge wooden ramp to skip that part... also huge negative.. $10 an hour rental for beach chairs? or $23 for the whole day was pretty steep!

we checked in at 11am and didnt get our hotel room til almost 4... check in was at 3pm and yet they still checked us late.... although the guys that worked there were super cute and yes the girls were too for you gentlemen it didnt make up for the tardy check in... on a plus all the hotel staff i encountered were above and beyond friendly! especially the front desk people...

THE ROOM
If you want to see what my hotel room looked like i did video it and posted it on youtube here is the link:

h ttp:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxP_9_se-SA&feature=channel_video_title

just remove the spaces in th ebeginning at the http and the / www im no sure if links are allowed here... but i do give an accurate view of the hotel suite and beach....

The room was big... and very spacious... there was a sink and bar area with a mini fridge so that was convenient the partition between the king size bed and sleeper sofa was nice but neither the bed nor the sleeper sofa were comfortable... especially the sleeper sofa... wow it was like sleeping in a cot! The bathroom was clean so was the room but it was severely dated.. pain peeling and water damage on the ceiling was not pleasant to look at especially since I paid over $300 for one night! BUT what made it all worth while was that view... it was a million dollar view (pictures below) when i saw that view it was beautiful beyond words es[ecialy during sunrise and sunset!

Additional comments
- breakfast was free which was alright but nothing special... probably not worth more than $10 it was a buffet!
- fitness center was small but had adequate up to date equipment
- the business center was very convenient to print our boarding passes the next day
- lots of eatries and shops near and around the area
- high speed internet was fast and free HUGE PLUS
- free local calls as well!
- parking was free and vast!

All in all this hotel needs some updating but nothing that is a huge deterrent the view makes up for it more than 10 folds! so i give this hotel 3 stars 3 1/2 if i could because of the friendly staff too

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank 204pecitygal
There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites by Marriott Pensacola Beach

Reviewed 8 August 2011

I was a little worried back in June when making the reservation @ SpringHill Suites if this place was going to meet our needs, especially compared to our favorite condo that we stay in PCB. Although it wasn't everything that condo is it did turn out really well. We would definitely stay here again if we were in the area.

Room Tip: Call to make reservations opposed to online.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TGSGTS
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Statt was GREAT, despite a reservation mixup (my fault) the sorted me out and found me room. This hotel has a very late 80's feel to the decor. When was the last time you saw glass-tube TV sets in a hotel room? The rooms are not the draw here. Needs an update though in terms of style. Perhaps it's an older hotel that they took over I don't know. I liked the location a lot, and the pools for our son. The "kiddy pool" looks better in the photos but in actuality most small children won't spend a lot of time there. The adult pools were nicely shaded in morning and afternoon and more popular. The beach? Well I don't actually like the Gulf side beaches that much, the beach is more like a tabletop it goes flat across to the edge of the water and then kind of drops off quick, and the sand is also very powdery stuff that sticks and irritates. Not my favorite, but if you like a nice warm swim this is a good beach for that.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank VicenteFox
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This hotel is very clean, prompt & friendly service from staff, and the free/included breakfast was better than most. The 3 pools (1 a zero entry kids' pool) were very nice with bench seating all around. None were ever too crowded, and you could always get a lounge chair. There's a pool bar - but it's mostly untapped potential -- never any action, no music, etc., which was a disappointment since with a child, we didn't have a lot of "going out" options. The biggest disappointment for us was the lack of a boardwalk to the beach. I didn't think it would be a big deal -- but when the sand is scorching hot, you're carrying bags, chair, towels, and a kid, etc. -- it really was a problem. It made you not want to run back to the room for all of things you forgot or if you wanted to grab a snack, etc.

Room Tip: I would pick the 1st floor. You can still see the beach, and you won't have to spend so much ti...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank tlslp1
Reviewed 2 August 2011

This was our first trip to Pensacola Beach as a family. I must admit I was nervous about the hotel after reading some of the negative reviews on this website. However, once we checked in and settled into our room, my anxiety disseminated. Overall our stay was extremely peaceful and quiet. We had no problems with our room or location. It was a very pleasant and family oriented atmosphere. The breakfast was great and we loved the beautiful pools and extremely easy access to the beach. Nevertheless, for the cost of $239 per night, I would have expected a higher quality room and furnishings. We stay at a Marriott hotel every time we travel, even if it's just as a stop overnight, and we've always been more than satisfied. My favorite is the Residence Inn because they are so well kept and updated. I was also disappointed with the parking situation, as we were traveling in two cars, we could only occupy one spot. So my son parked his car at the nearby gas station, I guess I missed that part of the hotel info sheet. I can't wait to visit Pensacola again, but if I were able to find a nicer room for the price, I'd probably give it a try. However, I would be open to trying this hotel again. The staff and the parking lot guard were all very welcoming and helpful. It's not their fault that Marriott hasn't updated or tried to improve the quality of the rooms!!! Again, it was in the best location ever, less crowded!!!

Room Tip: ASk to stay on the fourth floor, we were in a family oriented area. We had a handicapped accessible...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank LoveTenn4life
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I'm writing this review a day after I've checked into the hotel. I've stayed in many Marriott properties and this visit has been very disappointing. First I was harassed by the parking lot security guy who couldn't find our reservation on the strips of paper given to him. He really didn't seem to care that I had a reservation conformation printout in my hand. Finally I just asked to park and work it out with the front desk and he let me park. The check in process was find and the folks were most helpful. When we got to the room we were both surprised at the room. The first thing we noticed was that the carpet was buckled all the way to the window and the room had a musky damp smell (which did lessen with the AC). When my wife went to take her shower she found stains and a black mark on the bath mat. The black mark looked like it had been rolled over with a tire of some type, possibly the housekeeping cart. Then, as gross as it sounds, it appears that someone blew their nose and the contents were stuck on the wall right next to the towel bar in the bathroom. I don't know how housekeeping did not see it as I saw it clearly when I walked in the bathroom. Not to mention the build up of beach sand in the corners of the tiled bathroom floor. Finally, and you may think I'm joking here, when I went to plug in my computer later that evening I found a pair of men briefs in the corner of the room by the wall plug. When I arrived back at the room the next day I decided that I would clean the bathroom wall and throw away the briefs. It was surely much easier than letting my wife see the mess and since we will be here four more nights I don't want to have any retribution from the staff. How exactly do you approach these things in a hotel that should have better quality control? I do expect more from a Marriott property. I hope your visit is better than mine.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sdf66
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We got 5 free nights at this hotel from being a Marriott reward member with a lot of points. They had "get 4 then get 1" more for the same amount of points, which was really nice.
The hotel is right on Pensacola Beach and is really a fairly nice property. The grounds are decent...nothing ritzy or overdone, but very clean, well-kept and well-maintained. The pools are great!! Having 2 very large pools is a plus for when a lot of people or kids are in the pool. I could go up or down a deck to have some quieter space if I felt like it. The little beach bar is in a nice place, but they don't have food.
The staff is super!! They seemed well trained, welcoming and efficient. Always greeted us when coming or going. They were very helpful with suggestions about things to do or places to visit in the area. The breakfast was very good for a hotel breakfast. Many choices, including different eggs each day, sausage, grits, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, breads etc. The breakfast staff is WONDERFUL!!!! VERY FRIENDLY AND WELCOMING!!!
We went on the beach only 1 time, but it was nice and kept clean as well. There were jellyfish the whole time we were there and being on a much, much needed vacation, I decided not to risk it, but hanging out at the pool was wonderful.
We were on a vacation to sort of celebrate our anniversary so it was just my husband and myself. The room was very spacious and it was nice having the "living room" area separate. I could sleep while my hubby watched TV. The refrigerator and microwave were nice to have. I would say that this property in the summer is probably much better for families with kids. We didn't mind too much, but if one is trying to have a quiet vacation, this is probably not the place to have that happen.
The Marriott chain seriously needs to get with the program about their TV's in sdome properties. This hotel would be fantastic with flat screen TVs!!
ONE IMPORTANT THING if you decide to visit this property.....although the hotel is great, the City of Pensacola Beach has only 1 bridge into it and they charge $1 for every single time you cross it into the beach. There are no grocery stores on the island and no cheap places to eat either. So if we went across the bridge to the grocery stor, or the pharmacy, or to eat at somewhere other than a "beach food restaurant" we had to pay the dollar to get back. I think that was nonsense. The toll booth guy said it was for the city to keep the place clean. We visit a LOT of beaches....how do they do it without charging a dollar? Just an annoying thing to keep in mind for budgeting purposes. Especially with NO grocery stores or Walgreens or anything out there but local expensive stores and eating places.
ONE LAST THING......Go to see the Blue Angels when in the area. AWESOME!!!!

Room Tip: Call hotel directly.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple