“Repeat Traveler”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pensacola Beach
Fort Pickens Campground
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have been to this campground 3 times. Let me start out by saying I was less than enthusiastic about the thought of camping in a tent. However, my husband and kids were excited about it and since my in-laws had gifted us a tent and camping equipment that had stayed in the closet for 2 years without being touched, I gave in to the family's pressure and agreed to go. I am so glad I did.

The first time the kids and husband went alone and I did not go because I had another obligation, but they came back excited and had a wonderful time while there. The next two times, I went with them and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The camp ground has a few tricks and hints that you should know about. Certain loops and spots are less shady and much better for a RV than for a tent. My suggestion is look at the photos of each individual loop and spot available and pick the one you think would work best for you. Some spots are close together and some are fairly private, some have a lot of shade and some are full out sun, so make sure you look at the photos and keep in mind the time of year you are camping. We have been there enough that we now know our preferred spots and look for the availability of those when we are planning a trip.

The campground was clean, there is water and electricity on each spot, and the Park Rangers are super nice. There are FREE activities almost daily that are great for the kids and grown ups such as seining for sea life, beach treasures, fort tours, snorkeling, and of course the beach. We have had pretty great camp neighbors each time we have been although one night we had someone across the campground blasting music all night long which may not bother some people but kept me up all night. The campground allows dogs, but the beaches do not, there is a dog park outside of the campground area, but not one inside that I know of.

The beaches are absolutely gorgeous and overall you can not beat the price of the campground as compared to a hotel. We spent less for 4 days than we would have spent on 1 day in a hotel. That is important to me since I have a family of 5 and try to be frugal as vacations can get pricey very fast.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank MsJenni

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Let me preface this by saying, we stay in State and Federal campgrounds ALL the time and actually usually prefer them over the private RV parks or resorts.

The area is absolutely pristine, beautiful and relatively remote, which is actually pretty cool. The campground, though, is NOT what we were expecting. Even looking at the overhead, we thought the sites would be larger. The distance between our site and the next was a mere foot, in fact our slide outs were really impeding the neighbors site and had they had a campfire, our slide would have melted! We booked the site for a 38' fifth-wheel with three slides, so we expected that our rig would fit.

The neighboring campers were mostly trashy folks and many were blaring rap .. which is not something that we're used to while camping, quite honestly.

The beach, adjacent to the campground, was not crowded at all and was quite nice. Although, we were a bit apprehensive to swim, as there is a FLESH-EATING BACTERIA in the Gulf along the Florida coast. We learned of the problem from a fellow camper and then looked it up online. We were really discouraged that the park officials never mentioned anything about it or warned us of the hazard. Also, the day before there was a report of a hammerhead shark chasing a swimmer at the beach.

We were also surprised by the sheer number of bees and wasps that existed throughout the park. Disappointed that the large nests were not removed from the electrical boxes nor the bathroom entries, considering there are folks that live there. Also, the sites were overgrown with very long grass and weeds, so walking around the site wasn't really an option.

Overall, very disappointed. We ended up only staying one night and then relocated to Henderson, closer to the blue water (the water here is a murky green / brown color, not bright blue like down the road in Destin / Okaloosa Island).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Andrea L
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

As a local, we stay out there every year. And every year we say we'll never stay there during summer again. It's extremely HOT and the campground loops B-D don't provide much shade at all. But that being said, we still stay out there every summer because you can't beat our beaches!!!! And this place is right in the thick of our beautiful beaches. They keep them & the wildlife we'll preserved. For that I'm thankful! But am not thankful for the showers there, the new ones weren't designed well & the old ones aren't ventilated very well. I just decided it was better to take a completely cold shower than to break a sweat while getting dressed after my hot shower.

A locals advice, hit this place up in spring or fall for the perfect weather. That's our plan next year.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Sunkissedshadow
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We camped in loop A in our 36' rv Sunday through Friday. Our space was clean, had a fire pit/bbq, and was large enough for our car as well. The beach is walking distance and boasts blinding white sand and beautiful, clear water.
Touring Fort Pickens is a great way to spend some time and learn a little bit of history and the Civil War.
The park service employees were very nice and helpful.

The only negative is the shower house is in need of some repairs, tile missing, shower doors without latches, and general maintenance.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank We2ROntheGo
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Campground is adequate and located on the beach. Free (yes free) snorkeling Wednesday and Sunday mornings at 10:30am with all equipment provided. (Battery Worth pavilion on the right after campground. Only bummer is the $8 fee to get thru the gate. We bought an annual pass for $25 instead.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Pastor J
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We love Ft. Pickens campground. Nothing fancy, but so close to all things historic, the ocean, bike riding, fishing, etc. We camped their the first week of June. One day we were loading up our beach equipment to lay on the beach. My husband was searching for our plastic screw that holds the umbrella on the beach. Thinking it was in a large plastic beach bag we had, he picked the bag up to look inside. When he did, he felt something "slam" against his foot. As he looked down, he realized it was a copperhead snake! I must admit, my husband screamed like a girl! Another camper heard the scream and came running with a stick. The two of them forced the snake into the swamp area of the campground. Luckily, the snake had attached my husband's Teva sandal, and did not hit any skin. We continue to talk about this and the "what if's" if he would have been bitten. Our vacation would have turned into a hospital stay for sure! After the incident, the rest of our time there, we alerted other campers to be on the lookout for snakes. We heard their had been two other snakes found and killed. This will not deter us from going back. In fact, we have reservations again in a few weeks!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Kerry M
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is our second year staying here. We just love the LOCATION! The campground itself is nothing spectacular. But the location ore than makes it worth it. The shower house on our look was new and much better! When we got there the grounds had not been mowed and looked shabby but they did mow while we were there and it looked so much better. You can't beat walking to the bay side and enjoying the beach with only a couple other people on it if any at all!!! And we road bikes to the gulf side (which you could walk to) and enjoyed the beach...not many people there either. That's something we loved about it. Beautiful white sand beaches. We will be going again next year!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Hampton Inn Pensacola Beach
Hampton Inn Pensacola Beach
#7 of 10 in Pensacola Beach
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Pensacola Beach
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Pe...
#3 of 10 in Pensacola Beach

Been to Fort Pickens Campground? Share your experiences!