“Great place for a family vacation”

Holiday Inn Express Pensacola Beach
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Pensacola Beach
Toronto, Canada
“Great place for a family vacation”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Like another reviewer, we made a similar change of route from St. Simons Island, GA to Pensacola due to Tropical Storm Beryl. We are now grateful to Beryl!!!

We picked this hotel, based on the effusive reviews, and were a bit dubious about just how perfect this place could be. We got a double queen room, and it WAS all the previous reviewers said it would be. Our only critique of the room was that the rug was wet when we arrived...having just been cleaned due to a Memorial Day weekend mishap of some sort. But knowing it was Memorial Day, we were just grateful to have a room! Other than that...the room was excellent. We even spent a night or two just loafing in the room. The rooms are spacious, and as previous reviewers have all noted -- all rooms faced the gulf, with a balcony. How good is that? We can't say enough.

We would hate for anyone to get the idea that this hotel is "posh", due to all the rave reviews. Every star is earned for location, view, value, service, and the staff, who are out of this world. The building is older, having been The Dunes hotel in a previous life. But it has been renovated and other than it's apparent age...it is perfect.

They do have cabanas at the beach, for which you will have to pay, but it's worth it in the hot sun ($8 and hour for a double chair and umbrella and $25 for the same for 4 hours.).

We have fallen in love with the place and definitely plan on coming back.

2 Thank HighlandCreek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Canton, Georgia
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We decided last minute to change our route from Savannah to Pensacola due to the Storm Beryl. We were fortuante enough to get the last two rooms at this hotel, which happened to be exactly what we needed! We had adjoining rooms, one was King (handicap) and the other was 2 Queens. Both of the rooms were very spacious, and had private balconies that faced the ocean. All the balconies face the ocean, and the lobby is just a breathtakingly beautiful ceiling to floor window view of outside.
We were a family of 2 adults, and 3 teens who all thoroughly enjoyed the amenities that this property offered. The free daily breakfast is fabulous and well maintained, they have afternoon fruit and popcorn available as well as a water cooler and coffee available 24/7. They have free wi-fi, though it was not super strong on the end units, but it did work really fast in the lobby.
Also in Lobby, we borrowed boogy boards, floats, noodles, and buckets for our beach and pool play. I've never seen a hotel offer such items to their guests, and it certainly was appreciated by us!
The cleaning staff were also wonderful during our stay, as were the front desk staff and everyone on the property. We all truly were pleased with the friendliness of everyone, the cleanliness of the property, and the value of this hotel. We can not wait to return!!!!!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have balconies facing the ocean. We had a great view from the 3rd floor.
Pensacola Beach, Florida
Reviewed 30 May 2012 via mobile

I lived in Pensacola for about 4 years for work. The first two years were spent at Portofino Resort, then I moved in land to be closer to my work. After moving in land, I would occasionally come spend the night on Pensacola Beach. I stayed in just about every hotel, except this one.

I did stay here until earlier this month, and man, was I missing out!

This is one of (if not the) best on Pensacola Beach. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful.

My girlfriend and I arrived relatively late (around 11 PM) and checked in with no problems. The next day we were changing rooms to a larger room. The staff moved all of our luggage the next day while we were at the beach with absolutely no problems. I was nervous about letting them do this after I had a watch stolen from my room in Paris.

The beach had a lot of sea weed on it, but that is to be expected in May, as they typically don't start cleaning until the end of the month/beginning of June.

The free breakfast is good.

The only problem I had was with the security guard who treated me like I was sneaking into the hotel once, but that was probably because there was a beach concert the weekend I was there, and he was just doing his job. I showed him my room key, and he let me through with no further problems.

Other than the, every single member of the staff with whom I spoke were absolutely amazing. They were all incredibly professional.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My husband and I chose to stop in at this hotel on our way down to Orlando... it was great! It sits off by itself a little, so you have a feeling of privacy that you don't typically get from beach hotels. Every room has a veiw of the gulf and a balcony! The rooms, lobby etc. are kept very clean and are well decorated. The free breakfast in the morning, private beach, and snacks avilable throughout the day set it apart as the best Holiday Inn Express my husband and I have stayed in.
Also, the staff are friendly and helpful... and we liked it so much we returned a few months later for our anniversary. When we arrived they had a welcome sign put up for us that read, "Welcome Back Mr. & Mrs. Hansford".
Plus!!! There is a historical fort you can tour right down the road in a state park that preserves the natural beach habitat... beautiful! It made for a very nice long weekend vacation.

Room Tip: I reccommend getting a room close to the middle of the building...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
St. Louis
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

We just left there and already miss the beautiful view and friendly staff. We stayed in a king executive suite. The room was fantastic for a standard hotel room with no kitchen. The small refrigerator allowed us to buy enough drinks and sandwich food to eat our own lunches on our balcony every day. We ate a free breakfast every morning and sat on the oudoor patio overlooking the dunes and the gulf. The warm cinnamon rolls were delicious. The free coffee, available 24 hours, came in handy when we needed an afternoon pick me up. We received two water bottles at check in and filled them at the water dispenser every day before heading down to the beach. The staff are very friendly. Not one person had a sharp attitude or tone. Everyone seemed genuinely happy to be of service. Ask for the free drink cards for The Grand Marlin restaurant. The place has delicious, healthy food. My absolute only complaint with this place was the mattress and, in fairness, I did not complain because I loved the room and didn't think they could bring in a new mattress. It was not the worst bed we have ever slept in, but I was miserable the last two nights as it really made my back hurt. I prefer the beds at Hampton or Westin hotels by far. I have to say I am usually quick to complain if I don't like something, so the fact that I didn't is a sign of just how impressed and happy I was with everything else!

B. Hoffmann

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BeachLover2001
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at this property twice now. My second visit was in early May before they were 'in season'. I was given a suite on the top floor, which was very awesome. Huge outdoor patio with a breathtaking view of the gulf. The living area and kitchen were very modern and spacious. I also the love the pool area. Highly recommend this hotel. Kinda stinks they have neighbors now, but still a great, quiet, low key location to spend a weekend at.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
fishville la
Reviewed 26 May 2012

This was our fourth year at this hotel and it was just as good or better than the first time. It's location is the best on the beach.The staff is one of the best of any hotel we have ever stayed at. All rooms face the Gulf and have a wonderful balcony. The breakfast is great and cookies and popcorn in afternoon. Extra towels for the beach and pool. Having a mini-fridge is also a plus. The only thing that I would change would be the addition of a hot tub and washer and dryer. We plan to return again next year for sure!!! WE might even make a trip during Thanksgiving.

Room Tip: We like being up on the higher floors.