“Beautiful hotel right on the beach”

Holiday Inn Resort Pensacola Beach
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Pensacola Beach
The Woodlands, Texas
“Beautiful hotel right on the beach”
Reviewed 21 October 2011

My husband and I spent five great relaxing days at the new Holiday Inn Resort on Pensacola Beach in Sept 18th to Sept 23rd 2011. Upon arrival we were greeted by the very friendly and helpful ladies at the front desk. I had requested a high floor and told them that my husband was celebrating his birthday that week, we were giving a high floor as requested and we also got an end-room which was really nice because from the balcony you were looking directly at the beautiful white sand beaches of the Gulf of Mexico but if you looked off the end to your right you also had an excellent view of the Bay across the street. The hotel is brand new and very clean with a Miami Beach Art Deco look. The lazy river was wonderful and relaxing. I did not eat at the restaurant but the young male bartender was very friendly and nice and the wine selection was good and well priced. The hotels location was perfect you really did not need to drive anywhere, as there were lots of restaurants and shops within easy walking distance. I wish I could remember the names of the two ladies at the front desk because every morning when I went down for coffee and got off the elevator which was directly across from the front desk they always greeted me with a big smile and a nice hello. The only negative was one morning when I went down for coffee there was a male manager who seemed to be doing something with the computerized register who although I know he saw me ignored me so I had to wait until I saw a nice waitress who got my coffee he did turn around once and glared at me. I guess he is not a morning person. Despite grumpy I still give the hotel 5 stars because the rest of the staff was very nice and the Hotel is lovely.

Room Tip: Request an end room for a view of both the Gulf and the Bay.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lunatuna4574
HIRPB, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Pensacola Beach, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Good afternoon Lunatuna4574,

We are most delighted that you love our beach and our new resort. We're most proud of our property and it definitely shows. I do apologize for "grumpy". Sometimes terrible how modern "convenience" can damper one's mood. Ha! I'm sure this display is not his typical disposition. We look forward to having you as our guests again and hope you bring your family and friends. Take care.

James E. Crowder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Kids eat free at Rip Tides in the lobby. Good burgers. The Game Room is very small but the kids still had fun.

• Stayed October 2011
Good afternoon AlnAustin,

Thanks for the review. Sweet and to the point! Always glad to hear. We look forward to seeing y'all again.

New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 15 October 2011

We stayed as a group (about 10 rooms) last week-end for my parents 50th Anniversary and the Holiday Inn Resort was wonderful! You have easy access to the beach or the lazy river pool. And the lazy river pool was so much fun that people of our group who never typically get into the pool, even got in, hopped on a tube and floated around. Lots of fun for our kids, our selves and our parents - allowed for all generations to hang in the pool together. The tiki bar outside was great and the bugers there are huge and the nachos with BBQ were delicious. Every staff member we interacted with was wonderful. The rooms were very clean and the A/C blasted cold air, which my husband greatly appreciated. I would highly recommend this hotel!

1 Thank Pam B
Good afternoon Pam B,

Awesome to hear from you! I believe you were with the Dotter Anniversary Party? I'm so glad you chose us to be a part of your special occasion. I understand the surprise went off without a hitch. Very glad to hear you enjoyed our resort and Pensacola Beach so much. We definitely look forward to having you as our guests again.

Pensacola Beach, Florida
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We had a great vacation at this hotel. We had great service from the manager and front desk personnel. This hotel is very clean and bright - the pool area is beautiful and it is a short walk to the beach. We will definitely return here on our next Pensacola vacation!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank reesie98
Good afternoon reesie98,

I'd like to personally thank you for your post and choosing the Holiday Inn Resort Pensacola Beach. Am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and we look forward to seeing you again next year, if not before. Keep checking our Facebook page for "off season" specials, we'll be running now through March. Thanks again!

Southwest MO
Reviewed 12 October 2011

This hotel seems to want you to think that they cater to the family crowd. Things like the location and the lazy river are enticing to families with kids. However, after staying there 5 nights, it seems they are more interested in bringing in the party crowd.
At the check in desk they display a sign saying they are a 100% smoke free property. This was important to us because we have children with asthma. However, we were unable to use the pool at times because of the smoking. We even approached the front desk about it and were told that smoking is allowed in the pool area. How could they display a sign declaring themselves a smoke free property?
We paid to stay on the ocean side and had a balcony. However, they allowed groups of young people to sit in the pool area into the morning hours smoking and drinking. We couldn't even enjoy our balcony and view because we had to be breathing their smoke and listening to them party. On other nights, there were people smoking on the balconies of their '100% smoke free property' rooms which meant we got to enjoy that smoke on our balcony too!
Also, at 6 am one morning, we were awakened by the fire alarm. Apparently a water line had broken and set it off. We were evacuated and it was rough to be out in the parking lot in pajamas with kids, no shoes, cold, etc. Once we were allowed back in no one apologized, not one word was uttered to us about it. Again, it was unfortunate to be treated this way after paying so much.
The day before we left, we began having to drip our way in and out of the cold lobby in order to sign in and sign out for pool towels.
Two days of our stay we had difficulty getting our room cleaned. One of those days, it wasn't cleaned at all. Even having left specific daily requests for towels, we had to contact the front desk and request (and wait...) for more. Repeatedly. Also, our sheets were not changed properly.
It's a minor thing but the fridge in the room doesn't have a freezer section. It's just inconvenient when you want to pack snacks for kids.
The breakfast buffet was good but a little pricey. But they had excellent service.
In the end, this hotel had a lot of potential. However, the bad starts to outweigh the good after a while.

1 Thank Ben M
HIRPB, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Pensacola Beach, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
Dear BenM393,

Thank You for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I was very upset to learn of the problems you encountered during your recent visit here at the Holiday Inn Resort. We pride ourselves on providing superior service and accommodations, but we failed to deliver and I sincerely apologize.

I hope you give us another opportunity to serve you and see that your comments have been addressed and taken seriously.

Please contact me on your next visit so that I can personally make sure your stay is an enjoyable one.

Charlie Allen, General Manager
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We liked it so much in June, we decided to come back and see if it was still just as great... the weather, of course was alittle chillier...but the place was still as great as ever. Negatives about going in October...the pool is too cool to swim in (outdoor pool).... but the kids swam indoors. The place was really quiet... sometimes it felt like we had the place to ourselves. Pensacola is a neat little town, but i would recommend coming in the warmer months... because alot of the restaurants and bars close down during the week in October ...and are only open on the weekends. We were able to go to our usual favorite spots...sidelines, flounders and papas pizza...they were all still open during the week. The hotel house keeper did a better job this time on coming around the same time every morning..last time it was more sporatic and unpredictable, but it was alot busier at that time too. She did a great job cleaning our messy room too. The gulf waters are great this time of year... so nice and warm... we had a problem with very big jelly fish while we were there...but they were so big...you could dodge them... and never heard of any jelly fish stings the whole time...and they were everywhere... Still, the water was crystal clear and beautiful, and we caught a few baby hermit crabs and made some great memories...We plan to be back as soon as we can!

Room Tip: Some restaurants and attractions are closed in Fall and Winter Months...call ahead to make sure they...
Good afternoon vabbey,

Wow!!! Very excited to hear that you enjoyed us so much this summer that you came back for round 2 so soon! Memories are timeless for sure and we're honored to be a part of yours. Honestly, October is my favorite month here, in Pensacola. Although the pools may have cooled off some, the weather and Gulf temps are near perfect. Yeah, funny about the jellies this time of year, they're BIG but seldom ever sting. Just a minor annoyance. I do hope to see y'all again soon and be sure to check our Facebook page, as I'll be posting last minute, "off season" specials from now 'til March. Safe travels and thank you again.

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 8 October 2011

After reading reviews on this hotel as well as many others in the Pensacola Beach area we decided to stay here. We had booked two rooms and the two ladies at the front desk, Tracy and Mary (I think) were extremely helpful. They asked if we'd like our rooms on the same floor and worked VERY hard to get us together. Mary even showed us the Queen and King rooms so we could decide which one to take. Around 6am on the first morning there, a water pipe broke and set off the fire alarms. We evacuated the hotel and learned what had happened very quicky. We were able to return to our room within 30 minutes. The only inconvenience was that my husband was on business so he had no water for a shower! They did reduce our bill by $50 for the inconvenience. The hotel was the cleanest I have stayed at in a really long time and had a beautiful pool and beach area. The only con to our trip was eating breakfast in Riptides. No one ever came to take our drink order and when we finished eating we walked up to the front to ask how to pay our bill. Apparently we had a server but she just never came to us. Overall, this was a great trip and we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Sound side rooms have a beautiful view and I would definitely recommend this if you have small child...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
HIRPB, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Pensacola Beach, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Good morning Leigh C,

I'm so very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your trip with us, despite a few minor inconveniences, which I deeply apologize for. Obviously the water pipe bursting was something we weren't prepared for but the experience in Riptides will definitely be addressed and I'll make sure we're more on our toes for your next visit.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you soon!