“Fabulous food and stunning location”

The Barn Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Pidley
Price range: US$6 - US$31
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Barn is a family run British restaurant with head chef Lee producing top quality meals for a fine dining experience. Specializing in fresh fish and producing dishes influenced by seasonality and many cultures and countries.
York, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food and stunning location”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We visited The Barn on recommendation from friends in Cambridge. We had to travel 16 miles each way but we were so pleased we did. On arrival at 7pm the restaurant was very quiet but by 8pm is was buzzing, I was so glad we booked 3 weeks in advance. We had a table upstairs looking out onto the lush countryside. The whole place is very rustic with a good ambience and a very relaxed atmosphere. We were quite a large party so each of us had a different starter, I opted for the salmon parcels, delicious. Everyone enjoyed what they ordered, I had a taste of the homemade tomato and basil soup from my friend, it was the best soup I have ever tasted. For my main I ordered a T-bone steak with all the trimmings, everything was lovely, I cleared my plate which is quite unusual for me. My friend tried the kangaroo, she said it just melted in her mouth but there was far too much. To finish we had the cheese board, plenty to choose from and the apricot chutney was exquisite ( I really wanted to ask for the recipe). The staff at The Barn are all lovely and friendly and we even got to meet the hard working chef, he came to our table to ask if everything was okay with our food (nice touch we thought). We liked the fact that we had the table all night so we never felt rushed, in fact we were the last out at 11pm. I will definitely be returning to this restaurant in the very near future and I will recommend to all my family and friends (we're even going to book for xmas) Thank you "The Barn" for a lovely night and special thanks to the chef, Lee.

1 Thank mizi14

Godmanchester, United Kingdom
“Nice Food and Good Service”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This place is a little off the beaten track, but worth seeking out. The building is new but designed to look like a little like a barn conversion. Spacious, with mezzanine or ground floor tables to choose from. Rustic style tables, chairs, wall lights.Very reasonable 2 or 3 course fixed price menu options. We were served by friendly and efficient staff. Food and wine was delicious, well-cooked and tasty. Not many other customers were also eating at 1.30 on a Sunday afternoon which was a shame. Not a place that has any particular wow factor - but somewhere you can happily spend a couple of relaxing hours or so with friends. Hope to return again soon perhaps next time for an evening. .

The Fens
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Haven't been to The Barn for a while as a matter of principal, following a foul mouthed rant on Marcello's Twitter feed about his bank manager. Not someone I would like to patronise.

Looked forward to returning but sadly this visit for Sunday lunch was a disappointment. A very pleasant, lone waitress was covering bar service and waiting table upstairs and down (please give her a supply of menus, wine lists and condiments upstairs to save her poor legs). A man (also very nice) who clearly wasn't used to helping at the bar or in the restaurant came to take us to our table. He pointed out a bird's nest in the roof of the balcony area upstairs on our way to the table.

On to the food..............
Husband's liver pate OK. My goats cheese tart was hot in places and cold in others. Couldn't taste any rosemary. The pastry was undercooked so not very enjoyable. Both of us had roast beef. Meat was tough and I had to leave 90%. It was overcooked even for me and I do not like it bloody at all. Potatoes had been roasted covered in dried herbs. Didn't like them - detracted from the taste of the potatoes. Didn't choose a dessert (unheard of for me!!). Nothing appealed from the small selection available. No NZ Sauvignon Blanc or Shiraz available by the glass (popular wines) - both of us disappointed there. I'm really not being nit picky here but while I'm here I may as well mention all niggles! The glasses provided for water are really difficult to hold (round,fat and heavy). I have quite small hands and I kept feeling I was going to drop them. How people with dexterity problems manage I don't know. Paying the bill even proved to be less than easy. Much working out, adding up and sighing (by a lady we hadn't seen previously and called over especially by the aforementioned man).
One last moan.......... as a lover of wildlife it really upset me to see a dead hare (declining species) hanging up behind the bar. I'm not always grumpy - just disappointed.

St Ives, United Kingdom
“Fantastic location, beautiful food and lovely staff”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We had a fantastic night at "the Barn". The venue is absolutely stunning but really cosy too. The food was delicious and very reasonably priced and the staff were lovely and welcoming. We will definitely be going back in the future for both a romantic night (it has a table on a balcony if you manage to book it in advance) and with friends. There is plenty of space for a big group for a special occassion and I think my friends will love it!

Stalbridge, United Kingdom
“Great food, friendly service”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Just had a lovely dinner with a good friend at The Barn. We were welcomed by friendly staff, offered a choice of tables and had our drinks ordered quickly. The menu covered all tastes and they also made an off the menu dish for my vegetarian, dairy intolerant friend who won't eat mushrooms! Our food came quickly and was delicious. The table was ours for the night which meant we had plenty of time to catchup without feeling pressured. The location was lovely and we looked out over green fields on this fine summers evening. It appears it would be equally as nice in the winter with cozy fire places and snug look.
Would definitely recommend and will be going back soon :-)