Went on a special offer with two friends on a two night break. The b and b rate was good but the bar and restaurant were both quite expensive. We had dinner in the restaurant on the first night and because we were allowed to pick from the bar menu it was reasonable enough and the meal was fine. The waiter was very polite and attentive. We went to breakfast at nine thirty on the Monday morning and it was very poor. I am vegetarian and chose scrambled egg which was cold and leathery so it was inedible. Weetabix was all gone at this stage and half a fried egg was all that was left for my friends as well as the bacon and sausage. There was no milk for the cereal and no bowls and we were left standing for several minutes trying to get sorted. There was a young band playing between six thirty and nine thirty on sunday evening There was a barbecue going on also. The hotel had rang us to warn us about the loud music so I have no gripe about that. We were not impressed with service at the bar and public areas such as the bar reception and stairs were shabby. There was no lift which was an issue for two of us and we did not enjoy the two flights of steep stairs to our room. Our rooms were very dark and did not have a view of the mountains. Windows in both rooms had faulty window catches.The sinks in both rooms were scratched and theamount of toiletries given was very stingy -no shower caps and one bottle of shower cream and one of shampoo. There were no biscuits on the tea tray. Beds were very comfortable and I slept well. My biggest issue with this hotel was the dreadful smell of must and what could only be described as stale urine which.pervaded the corridors reception and bar area on Monday afternoon and evening. Please do not insult my intelligence and my olfactory sense by suggesting that the smell was from vanilla candles as was suggested to another contributor to Tripadvisor. The smell was overpowering and very offensive. Breakfast on Tuesday morning was much better and a tray was brought up to one of the girls in our group very promptly. We were not asked on checking out how we enjoyed our stay and I feel sorry for a staff who have answer customers under the circumstances. Conditions need to be improved in this hotel to bring them to an acceptable standard. I have given this hotel an honest and fair review as experienced by my friends and I where I gave credit where due and pointed out faults which need attention.It is in a lovely scenic location and it would be a shame if it closed for want of some care and attention.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the Heart of what can only be described as the "Alps of Ireland", the Glen of Aherlow you can relax and unwind from the fast paced and enjoy the unspoilt beauty of the Galtee Mountain Range.Aherlow House Hotel and Lodges comprises of 29 well appointed Guest Bedrooms and 15 Three Bedroom Self Catering Alpine style lodges.Experience the tranquillity in its glory on one of the well appointed walking trails that border the hotel or relaxing in the Hunting lodge bar beside an Open log fire and sample the finest of local cusine from our bar food menu. For the more food enthusiatic side of you, choose from our Head Chefs extensive Restaurant menu which you can enjoy in the comfort of our Tree Top Restaurant.Located within a short distance of the Hotel you can enjoy the Historic with a Visit to The Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle,The Swiss Cottage or the wonder of the Michelstown caves. Also clsoe by you can partake in Horseriding, Childrens activities and many more wonders that Tipperary and Aherlow have for you to discover. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Aherlow House Hotel & Lodges reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aherlow House Hotel And Lodges
- Aherlow House Hotel Glen Of Aherlow