“Great stay, look forward to going back.”

Aherlow House Hotel & Lodges
Dublin, Ireland
“Great stay, look forward to going back.”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed 2 nights with my girlfriend over the Easter break and had a really nice time.
I wanted to leave a review for anybody who might think of coming and reads here first.
There are some ridiculous older bad reviews and I wanted to counteract them, especially the one idiot moaning that they only heard English and Dublin accents from other hotel guests when they came to stay. I am from Dublin and my girlfriend is English so I find reading complaints like that to be ridiculous .But it shows you the type of mentality of the people who post petty small minded inane commentary.

The room we were staying in was very clean, with a nice bath and powerfull shower.The room cleaners are most definitely on the ball, I stayed in some 5 star hotels recently where you wont get a room cleaning service unless you specifically put the request notice on your door. So to get it without requesting is good.

One small thing that I feel could be corrected would , not to have only one staff member waiting tables in the restaurant , come half 8 of so when 2 large parties came at once ,the waitress got quite swamped. But I work in retail management and understand peak times, staffing levels and budgets. We are still in the recession so I dont blame them and as others have said this was bad service I want to give a different view because it wasnt bad service at all.
The girl was very composed and very professional and she definitely deserves credit.

The morning breakfast was lovely, and the morning staff very friendly. There were also two nice and polite young barmen. And thats another thing, the bar food was really really good, even if you choose not to use the restaurant, you cant go wrong with the bar food as it was superb.

Also there is a really nice friendly local cat that likes to visit. I do hope if the manager reads this, she might give the cat a slice of salmon, as the cat deserves it, it is a great mascot for the hotel.

If you are looking for a nice time away in lovely surroundings I would wholeheartedly and sincerely recommend the Aherlow House Hotel.
I look forward to coming back again for another stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Spent 3 days in the lodges with 5 friends and was wonderful. Lodges are very nice, spacious and clean. Hotel itself is nice as well, restaurant food is very nice and pricing is good. Service in restaurant wasn't great on first day, took 40 minutes for 2 toasted sandwich to come out even though everyone had gotten their food. However service was brilliant the second day we ate there.
I will definitely be back.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Elaine M
ireland
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Just back from a night in this hotel.location for walking was brilliant loads of choice and the views were amazing.
From the start the staff were very polite friendly and helpful We were allowed to check in early which was great as we had 1 walk done and wanted to freshen up and go for another 1.The rooms decor is on the old side but clean and functional.The bathroom really needs to be ripped out and redone.The bath panel was in bits and hanging off the bath...not acceptable.It was more a hazzard than anything else.
I know i got a good deal on the night in this hotel...but the idea of these deals are surely to make you want to return and spread the word??
The views from the room were great.It has so much potential just needs some TLC.
The breakfast was ok but again our server was nice.
We would return for the walks and staff..not for the accomodation.

2 Thank magnumsue
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

I must say after reading reviews on Tripadvisor I was apprehensive about our pending stay, however, it could not have been better.
We stayed for three nights and we had a newly painted room. Room was lovely, spacious, beautiful mountain views that you could sit at and share a glass of vino or dinner.
The bathroom was big, little shampoo bottles and soap supplied but bring your own shower cap!!!! Fresh towels supplied each day and bath mat in bath and one for floor.
The bed was not massive but lots of space. Tea and coffee making facilities. The barman kindly gave me milk on request for this and forks another night after we brought a take~away back.
Yes, we were very lucky with weather and heating was on so even in worse weather stay should be comfortable.
Quaint country hotel pub to sit in during the day and night. Serve lunch and dinner and dinner served in dining room also .
From the bar in the good weather which we were lucky to get you could sit on the veranda.
Breakfast was lovely. Buffet bar was usual cereals, fruit and yogurts. Also they had breads and Danishes. The cooked breakfast was wonderful and we were very impressed.
We went for lovely walks during stay. All can start from hotel. My partner cycles and he brought the bike and enjoyed the many hills.
The staff were all friendly and welcoming. At reception, cleaning staff, dining room staff and bar staff. On the Sunday morning we were going for walk after breakfast and before our showers, the girl doing our rooms assured me there was no problem and she would return to our room when we left, I'm sure this did put her schedule out a bit but there was no bother.
Similarly we wanted a walk before we left on Monday morning. Check out is early ; 11:30 but the girl at reception was very accommodating and gave us a late check out.
We will hopefully return soon :-)

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank TipperaryGirl82
Joanne O, Director of Sales at Aherlow House Hotel & Lodges, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear TipperaryGirl1982,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us. We were delighted to read such positive and complimentary remarks especially as you were apprehensive of your visit. Your comments have been passed to all our team, it really is most rewarding to read your review and gives us a huge sense of pride.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 14 April 2014

we have just celebrated our wedding in aherlow this weekend the 12th april! everything was spectacular the views,the food, the staff and the place itself was beautiful! we would highly recommend aherlow as a wedding venue to any couples thinking of an exclusive professional and highly qualified team all our guests were amazed at the hotel how friendly and helpful all the staff were all i can say is we will definitely be back it was amazing.....

Dear LHEFFRYAN22,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your fantastic feedback! It was our pleasure to host your special day and we are glad that your day was everything that you planned.
We wish both you and Tadgh many years of happiness in married life and we look forward to seeing you both soon.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Came a cross this lovely hidden gem after visiting with friends in tipperary on Sunday just gone. We saw the signs for as scenic drive and we are so glad we went. Overall we had a lovely day here we came into the hotel and were greeted by a very friendly receptionist mind you I presumed it was a manager standing beside reception she didn't even acnologise us. We didn't think much of it at the time. We headed into the bar it was busy for lunch but we managed to get a lovely seat by a georgous log fire. A stunning dark hair girl came to us within a few minutes, she was very friendly and professional. great choice on the bar menu. Not just the usual roasts that could be put on on a Sunday,although you could get the roast if you wished. My husband got the fish and chip and I got the burger. The fish was massive, never taught John would finish it but he couldn't leave any off it behind it was that good. Food was top quality. Compliments to the chef. The two girls in the were kept busy, seamed to be lots going into the resturaunt too. During our meal we were checked on several times, by both girls and a very friendly manager. Even with her being busy she seamed to be running all sections. We saw her several times checking on everyone, in and out to the resturant and having a meeting with a couple I presume for a wedding, she still had time to take a pic for us on the balcony over looking the stunning views.I went to reception after our meal and the manager who we saw on the way in was sitting behind reception, even though the receptionist was more than capable receptionist was on the phone this manager still didn't even look in my direction. Totally unprofessional. The receptionist finished on the phone and straight away turned to speak to me. She was very helpful but the manager just seamed to be doing nothing. You would think she would have been helping out with a busy lunch service. She was still there two hours later when we were leaving. Apart for thus lady all the other staff we met were brilliant, a credit to this gem of a hotel. Thanks for the picture sorry I didn't get the managers name. I will definitely be coming back here. Hoping to come for a week in the summer.

• Stayed April 2014
Joanne O, Director of Sales at Aherlow House Hotel & Lodges, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Jane R,
Thank you for taking the time to write your wonderful review. It was a delight to read of your experience and Caroline was very happy to take your picture. We have also noted your point on another staff member and thank you for bringing it our attention. We are always looking for ways to improve our service.
We look forward to welcoming you back this summer.
Ireland
Reviewed 3 April 2014

On my dad's recommendation we booked the Glen of Aherlow Hotel for a Mother's Day Lunch. He had been before, stopped in for a drink the odd time on a Sunday, but I'd never been.

My first impressions of the place were that it badly needed some renovation, inside and out. The parking bays need work, you couldn't work out where the disabled parking was. The decor is very dark and dated with awful carpets and wallpaper. The place badly needs some modern glamour - or at least a good lick of paint and new carpets. The ceilings and walls are discoloured with grime and damp patches, and overall, just not a nice place to hang out.

We were sent to the basement function room for our Mother's Day lunch. The room was a bit smelly and musty and we were seated in the dark, by the bar, under the air conditioning, which was on and that part of the room was freezing. In fact the table of 4 next to us had a small heater on the ground pointed at them! We asked to be moved, and the staff happily moved us to the other end of the large room, where it was much warmer and brighter.

The food was ok. Really nothing special at all. My folks were happy enough though.

I definitely won't be going back for drinks or food. This place just isn't up to scratch for me. It's a bit depressing, dank and old style for my tastes.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Honestreviewer32,
Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback on your recent visit to Aherlow House Hotel. We do understand that this is your opinion which you are most entitled to but we do want to clarify some items. Firstly, the wheelchair spaces are directly in front of the Hotel set down area and are clearly marked, so there shouldn’t have been difficulty in finding this space.
Secondly, Aherlow House Hotel is a traditional old world hotel, we do not want to glamorise it.
Your mention of our wallpaper and carpets is odd as there isn’t any wallpaper in the hotel aside from small panels which are added to the ballroom less than 12 months ago and all carpets in the public areas are less then 2 years old.

We do appreciate that some areas of the Hotel do require attention; and we are working on this as an ongoing process over the coming season.

We do hope you will return to Aherlow House Hotel in the future and that we may see you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen of Aherlow
Anner Hotel
Anner Hotel
#1 of 3 in Thurles
Clonmel Park Hotel, Leisure Center and ECO Spa

Been to Aherlow House Hotel & Lodges? Share your experiences!